_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Grant - Academy Kit
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well despite all the bad press I'm going ahead wiht the Academy Grant build.

There were some additonal fixes necessary to the turret in so much as the gun swivel is incorrect and I used the old swivel from the Tamiya Grant to fix this problem.

Full details of the problem can be found here on ML:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1209626384/Academy+Grant+and+Lee+issues

I also roughtened up the turret some as the reference pics I had showed some pretty crude casting.

Anyway here's the pics of the turret. Added a No 19 radio, 2"mtr some boxes and wiring. Filed the old Tamiya Swivel to fit and drillled it out and added the 37mm from the kit.

I'm waiting on the arrival of some more reference material and the replacement boggies rom Formations. Yes, I have drilled out the barrell.

Cheers

Al

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 06:38 AM UTC
Alan-- looks good. What is the brand and color of your base coat?
thanks
DJ
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 06:49 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to your build I've always liked that tank and maybe this will be a good excuse to get one , looking good so far Bob
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi DJ,

I got a range of desert colours form White Ensigns a while ago, this one is Light Stone.

Bob,

The 37mm is not an easy fix unless you have an alternative swivel as the academy one probably couldn't be altered with success. Sill the AM guys may take care of that.

Al
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 07:25 PM UTC
It will be interesting to see how this turns out as the test shots were questionable as regards accuracy that were displayed in the run up to its release.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

Have a read of the review on PMMS, the kit looks more accurate than first thought. Yes, it has some annoying problems but nothing that can't be fixed. The 37mm is the biggest one, to come up so far.

http://perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/academy/acd13212.html

Al

Removed by original poster on 06/10/08 - 03:54:07 (GMT).
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

unless you have an alternative swivel

Alan,

Just to be a bit pedantic, the "swivel" is more correctly callet the gun mount rotor, or rotor for short.

"Swivels" tend to have a vertical axis.

BTW, for those building a Staghound, the Stag used exactly the same 37mm gun mount & front plate as the Lee/Grant. Stealing or copying a rotor or entire mounting assembly from a Bronco Stag kit would do the trick nicely.

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks, rotor it is lol, lol. Grand idea especially if you're making a Staghound into an AA version, good thoughts.

Al
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC
Just note that the Bronco Staghound's aluminum 37mm gun tube seems very thin in diameter. I have a replacement one from Formations and it's QUITE different in size.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi Roy,

I think I read somewhere there there was an issue with the Italeri 37mm barrell to, alhtough I can't remember where and haven't looked into it much yet.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Some updates on the Grant build.

I have done some of the basic interior and added the replacement boggies form Formations. There is a slight warp in the hull which has caused some problems but hopefully tyhis will correct itself as the build dvevelops.

Some pics:

The Formations Set for the M3 Lee

With the rear engine plate and some bins added

There are a lot of hols, ejection/sink marks to remove/fill on the inside of the upper hull

Thanks for looking.

Anyone have a good pic of the drivers periscope, inside and out.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Just as well I didn't run this one as a blog, I've have been overwhelemed by the replies!!

It's good to have a tank with even a basic interior

If I'm correct the radio operators seat should not be there as the radio was moved to the turrer and this area used for stowing 3.30 cal ammo boxes so a change may be needed there.

Anyway some pics:

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 04:34 AM UTC
Greetings onlookers

I have assembled the upper hull. This consists of 7 parts and if like me you move around all over you builds, yoiu need to make sure to mount the fenders and the rear plate otherwise you woun't be able to position the last small panel correctly as it sits at a bit of an angle.

The warp in the lower hull isn't helping much but I think with a bit of patience, some filing and filing I should get a reasonable good fit when the time comes.

I looks like I will also need to move the 75mm ammo box. The instructions are a bit vague as to exactly where it goes and as you will see in the last pic mine sits right in the RHS doorway and I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have been that far up, so you may wish to leave that piece until you've got the hull done.

On the stowage the upper hull is pretty bare except for the drivers panel and a small box for spare prisms, so I want to add a bit more detail, especially as the radio will be missing. I've removed the radio operators seat, boy had it stuck fast, and found a suitable stowage box foor some .30cal ammo boxes. One of Graham's Compo boxes and some haversacks will also fit nicely hehind. I've added an additional long thin stowage box to the 75mm bin on the floor as per the diogram Rick sent me and some signal pouches and other bits will fill it up a bit In place of the radio there seems to have been a water container with a small tap, not sure what I'll do here as it is an odd shape and I'm not sure if I can fashion one. Might just add a couple of flimsey water cans. This additonal stowage is not in the pics as I'm working on it at the moment.

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
Good work on the interiors Alan, I have the Lee but not the Grant in my stash, though I might pick it up now if I can find it at a good price.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for dropping in. I've altered and added a few items as the interior upper hull is quiet bleak and void of detail. Will post a few updates when I get done. It's not an easy kit to build as it needs a lot of TLC, but it is a lot of fun.

Cheers

Al

wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 04:26 PM UTC
Making good progress Alan, don't be discouraged by the relatively limited number of replies, it's the read count that shows people are interested. Keep on posting your progress!

I also checked the "Blog" box for you on this one so you'll likely get more reader traffic as a result.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 05:45 PM UTC
Hi Bill,

Thanks for dropping in, ah, my first Blog lol, lol - presure, pressure, pressure

Some more updates later.

Cheers

Al
Halaci
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

interesting build as ever! If you need references for the interior, in the Wydawnictwo Militaria No.108 book about the M3 Lee/Grant there are full interior diagrams. Those shows that - unfortunately, but not surprisingly - the kit interior is far from accurate. E.g. the drum magazine holder on top of the ammo bin is completely fake and nautarlly the ammo bin has to be positioned rearward, to let the sponson door free. If you like, I will send the diagrams, just give an e-mail.

Other thing is, that I have bought the Griffon PE set, that is originally for the Lee, but there are alterations almost entirely in the turret. The BonusPack set even includes two aluminium barrels for the 37mm and the 75mm gun.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi, Laszlo,

Thanks, pm on it's way.

Yes, unfortunately the interior is not correct. It is not my intention to try and build a full interior just to add some items to fill up the space and make it a bit more interesting and busy looking.

I looked at the possibility of the PE set for the old Tamiya Grant but as there isn't one specific for this version I'll probably pass at this stage. Did order up some We 210 tracks though.

The 75mm bin placement in the instructions is a bit vague and it's wans't until I had the upper hul build I realsied it was slightly to far up. On reflection I could have simple used the side panel as a guide but that's with hind sight lol, lol.

Thanks for your offer, much appreciated.

Al
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 03:37 PM UTC
Hey Al love what you have been doing here i have been tagging along and i am another who has the Lee in the stash and will probably get this one too is there a plastic alternative to the resin replacment bogies that anyone knows of it seems like there was a lot of cleanup required of the resin ones, keep up the good work

Ron.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Al love what you have been doing here i have been tagging along and i am another who has the Lee in the stash and will probably get this one too is there a plastic alternative to the resin replacment bogies that anyone knows of it seems like there was a lot of cleanup required of the resin ones, keep up the good work

Ron.

Ron,

The bogies in the Academy M7 Priest are supposed to be the right height ... I really wish Academy had put them in this kit instead ...

Al,

I am enjoy your build on the Grant. I've got the Lee in the Project - Stalled queue, and this is making consider getting back to work on it.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks fo the feedback.

Ron as far as I know the only plastic set are the M7 Priest ones or those form the old Tamiya kit.

As Bill has raised the stakes by making this a blog I better get it right lol, lol. To that end I've just rivetted the inside hull, so insanity is creeping in. I also added an L beam above the drivers hatch which wouold seem to be a noticable feature.

On the internals, I have the ammo bin off but not glued down. As Lazo said the shells are facing the wrong way for the Gran,t, but I'm not sure I could re-arrange them but I might try and rebuild this bin. On the LSH I have seen a variety of water containers and there were a series of bins. I could try and build these, but it would be a best guess or I could used the booster amp for the No 19 Radio which might do. I have added a stowage box for the .30cal ammo, I might add a lid or just strap the ammo cans in so some progress but still a lot to think on. Also added soem rations with haversacks on top again more though here.

I have no doubt that by the time I get finished a PE set for the Academy Grant will appear, which would be 'Murphys Law'

I've also changed the colour of the seat to black leather.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I've done a little work to alter the layout of the bin and make it more in keeping with the Grant.

The bin held 24 x 75 mm rds and on the front were 2 x 8 20rd mags for the Thompson in 2 racks. I couldn't get it exactly how I would have like ti due to the space issue but it should do!

Don't know how the rds were stacked, possibly 4 x 5 rows with 4 on top.

Along the side were the 75mm, 37mm clean rods and spare ariels so I'll make a representation of these in that area.

Cheers

Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 08:15 AM UTC
Keep it up Alan, it is looking really nice and accurate.

I saw one of these tanks at the IWM the other day, Monty's I believe.

Chas
 _GOTOTOP