_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
CMOT's RammTiger
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC
When I entered the RammTiger campaign I decided I wanted to go for a vehicle that was built for the purpose, as opposed to a vehicle with a shell added. I went through a lot off drawings to try and come up with a design that appeared to suit the purpose, while still staying as true as possible to the original concept.

I figured by doing away with the tank inside and making a production vehicle I had allowed myself some room for manoeuvre regarding weight and length. I also intended to build a full interior viewable through clear panels down one side of the vehicle, however time constraints and seeking information has made me forgo that option (I may return to this at a later date).

The two holes at the front top are the lights for the vehicle, I have placed LED’s inside them but they are not wired up at this time. The one on the front lower left is a fixed flame thrower, the right is the protected vision ports for the driver.

I had to overcome some of the problems that I felt the original would have suffered from, I felt that its purpose and size would have every man and his dog shooting at it so I looked at a way to include some weapons systems for offence and defence. So I included a flame thrower with a recessed fixed barrel at the front, working on the theory that after having gone through a blockade or building frontage with this vehicle that a blast from the flamethrower would only leave the dead or the insane staying in place. I also felt that in order to take advantage as quickly as possible of the breach some troops would be in order, so I included a troop carrying ability who exit the vehicle via a ramp at the rear, I also included a MG at the rear for defensive fire purposes.

I also had to overcome the problem of engine maintenance and replacement, I overcame this problem by laying a track in the rear crew compartment so that the engines could be rolled out of the vehicle down the ramp used to disembark the troops it could carry.

Please be aware that the upper and lower body are not glued in place and the interior walls have also just been held loosely in place for the purpose of obtaining pictures.
Modelpoor
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 06:11 AM UTC
CMOT, First i like the design and it has inproved on the original concept, However i believe that the germans never intended it to be a personal carrier. It would have been supported by infantry or sappers. I also think that it would not have carried any weapons just for this reason ( Maybe Small arms for the crew). The vision or drivers ports would have and armored cover or recess so that no rocks or debri would fowl it up ( Maybe something that flips down and then back up after the break thru). I would have also thought about a scoop like the abrams mine plow scoop so it would plow thru and not over leaving the nose up for anti tank rockets. As far as the engine removal, it probably would not live that long to service it. I forsee most of them ending up in a celler some where in the east. I still thik its a great design and i am no expert on them but i do not try to overthink the design either. Simple yet effective. Great job the scratch build, i also like the slight overhang on the tail for engine vents, you mentions lights unless they are protected or armored they would be useless after the first drive thru. Keep up the great work Mike
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
Thank you for the comments Mike I did not foresee this as a dedicated troop carrier but I included a troop carrying area to get a number of troops from the German line to the enemy line to exploit a breach. The lights are recessed within the holes at the top. The vision port was an area I spent quite some time thinking about, I considered that anything that moved would have weaknesses, as hinged areas would be weak points and slides could easily be fouled, which is why I opted for a recessed vision port with rails protecting the recessed area. I will admit I didn’t consider a removable blade and it is an option I should have considered, but that said I do like the lines a fixed blade creates on the vehicle. The engine issue you mention I cannot agree with as I am not aware of anything the Germans built that was use once and throw away.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC
Darren,

I like it. I especially like how you approached this from a different perspective.

A lot of your "design" ideas make sense. The "curved blade" under the nose to push the loose material out of the way; the flame thrower...I agree, you'd either have to be dead or insane to stay in a building that just got nailed by this beast and a tongue o' flame kissin' at ya; the pistol ports fit (I'm trying to figure out just how to do enhance the commander's vision and the same - close defense); the troop concept is sharp (much like the Israeli tank that has a troop area in the front?).

Looks good. I'll enjoy watching more of this progress.

Mike
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 305 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 09:39 AM UTC
looking at this from a purely tactical point of view its pretty well thought out, it'll be interesting to read more about this beast. as for a dozer blade I'm sure there would be some roles were a blade wouldn't be necessary or viable so you could just put on the blade mounting points looking good so far though,
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thank you Mike and Tony for your comments, I can’t take all the credit as Henk was my sounding board. As regards the build I had some concerns over possible grounding problems with the blade, between Henk and I we have come up with a possible solution to this should it look a likely event when completed. Regarding the commanders ability to see what is occurring and to direct the vehicle, I had a few considerations which was to not have a vehicle commander in the purest sense, have the commander up front with the driver, or have the commander in the back just in radio contact with the driver and radio operator. I have opted for no commander in the vehicle, and to have one outside directing operations. Lets be honest here it’s a case of drive into that building! I have opted for a 3 man crew with a driver and radio operator up front and a crew man in the back to operate the rear door and man the MG.
moose421
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 03:44 PM UTC
Very well thought out. I like it. You went a totally new direction. Just shows that diferent design froups can do. For mine I thought that driving complety though a building would have stopped after the first basement encountered. I would have thought the tactic would have been to breach the building and the infanty to storm in with guns blazing. Also many many grenades. But keep up the great build.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:56 AM UTC
Well the bad news is my RammTiger is no more, lets just say Gravity and placing a model on the floor while you do something is a bad idea, however the ceiling fan caught fire today and the toaster blew the main fuse, so I figure working on the theory that things come in threes means I am clear to start again. So I will be restarting almost from scratch and adding some more features, fingers crossed I don’t break this one.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC
Oh crap dude!!!! That sucks...big time! Hope all's well. Ceiling fan? Bad. Toaster? Who need's a stinkin' toaster...that's what the fireplace is for!

Looking forward to the "revamp."

Mike
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
What a bummer, Darren!

Quoted Text

lets just say Gravity and placing a model on the floor while you do something is a bad idea .

This I won't even ask about, trust me, I don't want to know.

As far as fire ball fans and main blowing toasters, do I need to come over and redo the electric in your house?

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 04:06 PM UTC
Yes please just remember we use 240 over here.
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:05 PM UTC
No problem, bro, I do a lot of 460 3 phase. Just don't be offering me any of that Marmalite stuff.

Now, get working on the new Rammtiger!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:24 AM UTC
Just to prove that from the ashes a new RammTiger rises. This is by no means near completion, however it's heading in the right direction. I have been thinking about what was said concerning the dozer blade and have a new idea taking shape despite how much I liked the lines it gave the vehicle.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hoodoo! Voodoo! Lookin' good. I like the back end better on this resurrection. I'll be (im)patiently awaiting updates!
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 05:28 PM UTC
Aye mate, liking much better. New rear door and less overhang in the back is a big improvement IMHO. And that troop area is just the place to hide some spare cash from the missus, I'll have to build something like that

Great work Darren, looking forward to more.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
I have done some work on the interior, placing the interior ducting for the air intakes, doing some of the wiring for the power units, interior lighting, and rear formation light. I have also placed the bottom cheeks of the ram head. However I am now back to work so no updates for 5 days.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures but I was in a hurry and I really need to invest in a better camera.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 05:40 AM UTC
A small update, I have put thye sides on the ram and done some work on the guards for the exhaust outlet.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Nice Darren, nice...looks like both of us been doin' some work!

I like the exhaust guards......I would consider cutting the bottom of the shields for the exhaust parallel to the side...asthetics only.

Mike
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 07:15 PM UTC
Does it show I was a 60's baby?
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
I have been working on the back end and have installed hausers and attachment points, convoy light

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for the comments Mike I did not foresee this as a dedicated troop carrier but I included a troop carrying area to get a number of troops from the German line to the enemy line to exploit a breach. The lights are recessed within the holes at the top. The vision port was an area I spent quite some time thinking about, I considered that anything that moved would have weaknesses, as hinged areas would be weak points and slides could easily be fouled, which is why I opted for a recessed vision port with rails protecting the recessed area. I will admit I didn’t consider a removable blade and it is an option I should have considered, but that said I do like the lines a fixed blade creates on the vehicle. The engine issue you mention I cannot agree with as I am not aware of anything the Germans built that was use once and throw away.

Maybe not carry troops IN, but get them OUT! Consider a squad pinned down in a building with no exits but the ones under fire. The RT punches an opening, backs up, drops the ramp and gets the troops to safety! This could have been so useful, especially with rescuing and transporting wounded.

In thinking about the tank falling in the cellar scenario I wonder if some manner of blade extensions that were extendable and retractable would allow a high speed side swipe type of building destruction?????? They could be either pre-action manually cranked out or hydraulically controlled.

I wish I had the time to have participated in this campaing but working five 12 1/2 hour days a week and 8 hours Sat. and Sun. with a 2 1/2 hour cummute every day doesn't leave time for much else...
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hey Darren, I really like the tow-cable set up. I wanted to do something similar to mine, but with the sloped back and no "overhead cover," it just didn't seem practical. Your's is looking functional. Sharp.

I also like Jim's thoughts about rescue/recovery. Makes perfect sense to me. I wonder, did the Germans have SAR back then?

Keep it up Sir....this whole Campaign thing we all got going on has been a pure joy.

Mike
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 03:07 PM UTC
Wasn't the 251 used for wounded transports or some varients of it.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 07:56 PM UTC
Do you think this would look right as the mount for the drivers periscopes.

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
Here is an update for you, there is more work left to do than i care to think about but it's getting there.

_GOTOTOP