LVTP5 book project
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Sankt Gallen, Switzerland
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hello friends

I am a vietnam model builder and enthusiast and mostly intrested in the LVTP5.
Since a long time i have the idea to made a LVTP5 photobook. A book with pictures of the LVTP5 in action during Vietnam. For such a project i need support from Amtracers and members witch have original photos. Please cotact me when you have any photos, if black or white or color, or informations. Also i am thankfull for any support.
I believe there is no book about the LVTP5 available wordwide. And to publish such a book is mi goal.
pjmooney
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 07:20 AM UTC
Dave,

Email me offline - I am on staff at the National Museum of the Marine Corps and may be able to assist with your project.

S/F

Pat
[email protected]
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC
Thanks Patrick

Its an honor for me to hear from you. i will contact you in the next days via e mail.

I am thankfull for any support. I hope with the help of you and others the LVTP5 book project comes to reality.
With this book i will honor all the brave Amtracers and Marines wich fought during Vietnam inside and aside the "P5".
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hi David,

Great idea!
Maybe you already know this site but anyway:
http://www.amtrac.org/ be sure to check the forum under member services there's a lot of veterans there.

good luck with this project!

best regards
Mark
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:07 AM UTC
Thank you Mark

I will check out your link I hope it will bi helpful for me.

Greetings Dave
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC
Is coming soon!

Spring 2012 will my book LVTP5 and variants be on the market. Further details and cover art images and content are coming soon.
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:27 PM UTC
Now finally the work is done and the book is ready. The book is fully loaded with large photos in color and black and white.

And the first ever published illustrated book about the P5. The book is availabe from 30. May 2016. for ordering- and more informations please visit:

http://highgloss.ch/publishing.html

Also be prepared for some more books in the future.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now finally the work is done and the book is ready. The book is fully loaded with large photos in color and black and white.

And the first ever published illustrated book about the P5. The book is availabe from 30. May 2016. for ordering- and more informations please visit:

http://highgloss.ch/publishing.html

Also be prepared for some more books in the future.

Looking forward to this one!
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 07:04 PM UTC
Order channel is now open. Overseas delivery time is around 15 working days.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:46 AM UTC
I ordered mine last night, looking forward to turning pages on this new book.
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered mine last night, looking forward to turning pages on this new book.

Please share your thoughts when it arrives. I have an interest in all things USMC, but haven't ever been especially interested in the LVTP5. If the consensus is that the book is well done, then I will certainly order it.

Dave
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:23 AM UTC
Rgr wilco

Aside from the vehicle's Technical Manuals I believe this is the only book dedicated to the LVTP5. YAT YAS
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rgr wilco

Aside from the vehicle's Technical Manuals I believe this is the only book dedicated to the LVTP5. YAT YAS

I believe that you're correct. As a not infrequent passenger on the LVTP7 (during an earlier chapter of my life), I've got several books on that vehicle. As I have an interest in WWII, I've got almost everything that there is to read on the LVT. The LVTP5 is a gaping hole in my knowledge. If the book is at all satisfying, I'm sure that I'll order a copy. I look forward to hearing what you think.

Dave
Amtrac1965
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 02:50 PM UTC
Im since years interested in the LVTP5 and besides the TMs, there ist no illustrated book about the LVTP5. Its the first of its kind.

And very detailed photos of the LVTP5 in construction and manufacturing process.
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rgr wilco

By the way, does anywhere might one obtain the TMs for the LVTP5? DTIC, GPO - Google turned-up nothing for me. Similarly, can one purchase TMs for the AAV7 (though it will always be the LVTP-7 to me)?

Dave
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rgr wilco

By the way, does anywhere might one obtain the TMs for the LVTP5? DTIC, GPO - Google turned-up nothing for me. Similarly, can one purchase TMs for the AAV7 (though it will always be the LVTP-7 to me)?

Dave

All manuals for the older LVTs I managed to acquire through either Military Surplus stores or auction - all on line. For most part I chalk those up to lucky finds. My AAV7 manuals on the other hand were acquired while I was Active Duty. That was a lucky decision on my part as I have not seen any offered through previously mentioned sources.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im since years interested in the LVTP5 and besides the TMs, there ist no illustrated book about the LVTP5. Its the first of its kind.

And very detailed photos of the LVTP5 in construction and manufacturing process.

All of my military time was spent on the AAV7, with some fortunate hours spent tinkering on an LVTA5 Modified. My LVTP5/H6 references are what I managed to cobble together from on line surplus and auctions. I've collected a decent amount of photographs and manuals over the years.

C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:02 AM UTC
Have you talked to Lawrence Goh of Echelon Fine Details?

I'm sure he would be interested in your photos to produce a decal set.

Cheers,

Christophe
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've collected a decent amount of photographs and manuals over the years.

Though I've never done any serious study of the Vietnam War, the LVTP5 is surely a gloriously and wonderfully ugly vehicle (and the LVTH6 is even more so). I think that I need to add the AFV Club kit to my ever growing pile. It's a shame that we don't have any kit of the LVT-5 (as a Marine, I find the Korean War very interesting).
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you talked to Lawrence Goh of Echelon Fine Details?

I'm sure he would be interested in your photos to produce a decal set.

Cheers,

Christophe

I had not come across that site, thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can get markings for the P5 as well as markings for P7s I crewed – I have more info for those.

AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've collected a decent amount of photographs and manuals over the years.

Though I've never done any serious study of the Vietnam War, the LVTP5 is surely a gloriously and wonderfully ugly vehicle (and the LVTH6 is even more so). I think that I need to add the AFV Club kit to my ever growing pile. It's a shame that we don't have any kit of the LVT-5 (as a Marine, I find the Korean War very interesting).

I missed an opportunity to travel to Taiwan and train their Marines on the P7 shortly after they purchased some. They were replacing their – still operational – LVTP5s. I did get to climb around on some in the Philippines, they still had some operational H6s when I was there. They let me snag data plates off the hulls they put to pasture.
I have stashed away nearly all the variants of the LVT available along with enough spares/materials to assemble an LVT(A)5 Modified. I have three of the P5s. One with conversion to H6, one as a major effort (as in resin interior and metal track links) P5 along with a “trainer” P5 so I can find any quirks in the build before committing to the bigger efforts. What I cannot cobble together and am still waiting for a manufacturer to churn out is an LVT1 and an LVT3, I would also appreciate an option for the LVT3C.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:33 PM UTC
edited.
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I cannot cobble together and am still waiting for a manufacturer to churn out is an LVT1.

As I have always been interested in Tarawa, it goes without saying that I would LOVE to see an LVT1. I believe that David Harper (RIP) may have briefly made a resin one, but I don't recall seeing the Hard Corps LVT1 for sale in quite a few years (and the one I recall seeing at eBay years ago was priced north of $200).
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What I cannot cobble together and am still waiting for a manufacturer to churn out is an LVT1.

As I have always been interested in Tarawa, it goes without saying that I would LOVE to see an LVT1. I believe that David Harper (RIP) may have briefly made a resin one, but I don't recall seeing the Hard Corps LVT1 for sale in quite a few years (and the one I recall seeing at eBay years ago was priced north of $200).

3D in scale is going to do an LVTE-1, they are still looking for references of the interior layout.
http://www.3dinscale.com/WIP.html
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I watch them when they pop up on eBay but am unable to justify to myself (or my significant other) spending that much money on a model. The LVT1 is a rather slab-sided affair. I believe it is within my abilities to scratch build the hull. I think the only curve on the entire contraption is the bow. It is the track that is beyond my abilities or patience. I know it is little more than an oversized bicycle chain with cleats, but... If someone did a 3D printed LVT1 track set I would seriously consider scratch building an LVT1.
If I get back to California I am stopping in at the LVT Museum and getting some serious measurements of the LVT1 with focus on the track links.
 _GOTOTOP