Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Build Blog - Bronco Hotchkiss H38/39
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
Frank, Tamiya has a figure with his hands on his hips from their Tank crew at rest that might look nice next to this little guy. Dan
yelvhontu
Visit this Community
Mongolia
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
really good built tank!waiting update!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IŽll see if I can dig up some good images that help with the tracks orientation. hadnŽt given it much thought myself yet!! But its something IŽll need to do for myself anyway

Hi Jim. Hope this helps.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:38 AM UTC
Thanks Dan and Hunter for dropping in!!

Step 6 shows the assembley sequence for the boogies in one image and then the assembly of the remaining running gear in the next. In one way there was no real problems with the assembly, but fit is not very positive. Keeping the assembly square is a bit of a struggle and the single attachment point to the lower hull is a little on the fragile side. Care is needed to make sure all the wheels line up properly. Best to take care at this stage or the tracks could be difficult to attach later. I added the boogies before the cement had fully set so this was possible. It was then left over night to set. The metal springs add a lot to the finished boogies and makes the effort worthwhile!

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:56 AM UTC
As I don’t have much time in the evenings just now, painting is left to the weekends, so I jumped forward to step 11, and built the turret. The upper turret-half appeared to be a bit warped and fit was not great with the bottom half. I cut off the positioning points and filled the seams with Mr. Surfacer 500. The inside is not particularly well detailed ... the gun breech is OK but the armoured visors ...... that are large and noticeable ...... are very plain.
The turret hatch and hinge assembly are a poor fit and results in a rather large gap on the outside. The warp also has an undesirable affect, leaving a gap at the sides of the hatch. From experience, Id say the engineering of the turret hatch and hinge is poor.
The metal barrel has an excellent fit into its plastic mating piece. No superglue needed! The little hooks on the French style cupola are very small ... take care not to drop them ... no extras are provided and they’ll be impossible to find again.

I forgot to take some images of the bottom to show the inside ... will add these next time!
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:08 PM UTC
Thanks for the track info Frank. it sure does help! On the observation vehicle kit I am building the instructions seem to indicate 2 seats- one for the driver and one for the radio operator. The kit only has one so depending on how much is going to be visible it looks like a scratch build or not installing the driver seat. There are some pieces on the left and right front on my kit that I can't quite figue out what they are. They resemble filters or something, one being round resembling a stool and the other being oblong, They have some very tiny parts to assemble them which gave me some aggravating moments. I agree with your assessment of the plastic- it seems soft but not really in a bendable way and the surface is almost slick feeling.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Some more images of the build so far Hatches placed with blue-tack for the photos (front hatch upside-down ) One really good thing is that there are no ejector marks or clean up to take care off, so leaving the hatches open is no problem.

The figure is from Dragons "Panzermeyer Lssah Division Mariupol 1941" set, with a Legends Production head.

whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 02:36 PM UTC
I'm still following and it's coming out great. Should be awesome when finished Bob
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 03:51 PM UTC
Frank, How was the fit of the suspension? I remember that parts in the suspension trucks that went from front to rear did not touch as they should have. Was that fixed on this kit? Dan
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi Frank,

Great work so far and that little dio will look great IMHO.

One thing though is the one part you have scratch built in the lower hull interior is a post war modification to keep a museum tank running I beleive. I made the same mistake myself when building my interior. It is blue in the chars francais reference photos and may well be the blue part you mention painting. It is the vertical cylinder in the corner between the engine firewall and the drive shaft and links through to the engine bay at the top.
As I say I can't be 100% on this so you may choose to leave it in. Perhaps someone else may be able to shed some light on the subject?

Great work all the same.

James
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, Dan and James for your comments. Much appreciated

Quoted Text

Should be awesome when finished

Well, ... I hope so ... Id definately settle for awesome

Quoted Text

How was the fit of the suspension? I remember that parts in the suspension trucks that went from front to rear did not touch as they should have.

I wrote earlier that the fit isnŽt so "positive" in my opinion. Havent seen the original so canŽt compare .. but Im not overlly happy with the rather small location area on this model. There appears to be a lot of give. I needed to be very careful when glueing, that that everything was lined up and straight whilst setting. so Id say this area has not been updated.??

Quoted Text

As I say I can't be 100% on this so you may choose to leave it in.

Thanks for the input James. Ive never done any scratchbuilding before, so this was mostly for fun. I just wanted some extra details in there ... to make it look busy ...and not much of this will be seen anyway when closed up. Ive no idea of the correct interior for a WW2 version, but Im not sweating it at this stage.
I painted the interior yesterday, and will weather it today and hopefully have some images online by the middle of the week. When its closed up ... the last bits will go on quickly!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As I say I can't be 100% on this so you may choose to leave it in.

Thanks for the input James. Ive never done any scratchbuilding before, so this was mostly for fun. I just wanted some extra details in there ... to make it look busy ...and not much of this will be seen anyway when closed up. Ive no idea of the correct interior for a WW2 version, but Im not sweating it at this stage.
I painted the interior yesterday, and will weather it today and hopefully have some images online by the middle of the week. When its closed up ... the last bits will go on quickly!

No worries, I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention.

Look forward to seeing your progress,

James
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It didnŽt actually and Im always glad for input .... I might not change course ... but at least Ive been given an option.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It didnŽt actually and Im always glad for input .... I might not change course ... but at least Ive been given an option.

No worries, its rare I can comment intelligently like that anyway so i'm happy just to bring the point up!

I know how it goes though, espetially now you've got the paint on. The last thing anyone wants is to do major mods at that stage.

Looking forward to the painted pics,

James
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC
Because of the limited view of the interior, I didnŽt spend too much time with the weathering stages. Now its ready for closing up, and adding all the small details.

panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC
Nice job! The red and blue really stick out nicely! Dan
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
Wow Frank you're really motoring along with this one, you've obviously taken the Scandinavian work ethic on board
It looks great. I especially like the scratch built parts.

That new German/French figure set from Dragon would really suit your dio.
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:52 AM UTC
Wow Frank ! Your scratchwork came out nice, I like the interior, good job !
Congrats for this complete WIP, I'm looking forward to the exterior now. G.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:07 PM UTC
absolutely awesome interior! it will be a shame to cover it! wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of no residue adhesive that was strong enough to hold the top in place snugly but still allow removal to show off the detail work?
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:27 PM UTC
Excellent build so far, Frank, and thanks for pointing out (and showing) the plus and minuses of the kit.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC
Thanks very much guys for dropping in and taking the time to comment. Appreciated very much. Im enjoying this little kit .... its a long time since I started straight away on a new kit and i suppose the fresh subject helped some as well. Gonna start with the tracks tonight and add the rest of the details during the week. Should be ready for painting by the weekend (fingers crossed). I think IŽll wait on those new Dragon figures ... they would be great to ad to the figure Ive already built!
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
WOW, this is a gorgeous build!
The interior looks fabulous. I always wondered "what you get" in these Bronce kits-thanks for posting this WIP; it's got some great information!
The vignette looks nicely composed as well--that figure is KILLER!
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
Frank this build is looking great. You did a really nice job on the scratchbuilding. The interior came out really nice.
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:21 AM UTC
The interior looks super Frank very nicely done also the base etc is looking great i will be keeping up with this one.

Ron.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks very much Karl, James and Ron for your kind comments. Much appreciated. Im adding the exterior details and tracks at the moment. Will update again before painting starts.
Have set my heart now on the upcoming Dragon figures ... with the 2 surrendering French tankers ... for this scene. Will swap out one of the Germans though, and keep the guy IŽve already built. I believe this set will be released in November! Cheers.