Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Build Blog - Bronco Hotchkiss H38/39
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jim for your input. As you´ve probably guessed, Im not a tanker ... so thats why it makes sense to me and not to you.
Its a bit late for changing the tracks now as they are fixed an painted. I´ll just go with what I have ... I´d rather throw it in the bin than start a new dio for accuracy´s sake. I´ll just have to live with this one.

it stands well on its own!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it stands well on its own!

Thanks Jim.
James Tainton has a perfect reply in situations like this ... "its good enough for me and the girls I hang out with"
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
Lovely work, Frank. Much admire what you've done.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
Frank--outstanding workmanship! What brand and shade of paint did you apply to the engine and transmission? Great job.
DJ
WayneB
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC
Frank,

I thought the same thing as Jim when I first saw your pictures, however it then occurred to me that perhaps your vehicle was reversing out of dangers way, perhaps trying to get into cover behind the adjacent building, when it was hit breaking the track? A little bit of damage to the front left drive sprocket and voila you have a story. Maybe the title of the whole thing could be “Inverse de conducteur”

I would however recommend taking up a little of the slack in the top run of track. As Jim correctly observes if your vehicle was reversing when the track broke the top run of track would have been dragged backwards over the return rollers by the momentum of the vehicle……. Given the small amount of run off the reversing vehicle probably wasn’t going too fast at the time the track broke.

By the way it’s a damn fine build and one you should be proud of. Love the internal weathering and open hatches. It really looks like the crew bailed out in a hurry. Maybe you could leave some miscellaneous gear strewn around to emphasize the hurried nature of the bail out.

W
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Frank

Another fine diorama and will look great along side your others. Looking forward to the figures being painted. I like the figure composition as it is to be honest, the interaction and placement looks fine to me, telling a good visual story with enough to let your mind imagine the rest.

I think the tank being hit whilst reversing away from the line of fire to a better position but being hit and losing its track before it could do so works, well it does for me.

If I may add a little suggestion, knowing this is still not completed. How about some rubble and debris strewn about the place. I'd guess you had in mind to do some anyway but I think some brick rubble, glass shards like in the windows and some assorted debris around the tank and on the cobblestones will give a stronger suggestion of the recent battle that resulted in this outcome.

Great work as always. All the best and a happy new year. Hope you get some time back in the wardrobe soon.

Alan
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 02:07 PM UTC
I forgot about this one Frank. It is going along very nicely. Very good job on painting the tank. I am disappointed you closed the engine hatch, but that's okay. Great job anyway.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hi Guys. Once again ... thanks for your very kind comments and support. It makes it worth posting for. I´ve primed the figures now and will start painting this evening.

Quoted Text

What brand and shade of paint did you apply to the engine and transmission?

Hi DJ. I brush paint with Humbrol enamels. Havent a clue what colours I used, as I always mix colours to look right (or pleasing to me). After weathering, having an exact base colour is pointless, IMO.

Quoted Text

I would however recommend taking up a little of the slack in the top run of track.

Hi Wayne. Thanks for your input ... but the tracks are fixed and painted, and I wont be touching them ... its too much hassle for something I don´t know much about myself ... (thast my excuse and Im sticking with it ) I know you guys are right ... I would get depressed by having to alter at this stage. Its not falling on deaf ears though .... I will remember this for the next project that has a thrown track.

Quoted Text

I'd guess you had in mind to do some anyway but I think some brick rubble, glass shards like in the windows and some assorted debris around the tank and on the cobblestones will give a stronger suggestion of the recent battle that resulted in this outcome.

Hi Alan. I plan on using a little dust and debris to fix the tank to the base .... you´re 100% right ... its a wee bit too clean at the mo. I´ll look around to see what kind of debris I have that is typically French and natural for this scene. I want to get the figures ready first and be happy with the placement of them.

Quoted Text

I am disappointed you closed the engine hatch

Hi James. I originally planned to leave it open, but I added too much gizmology and not enough proper details to leave it open. The open hatch didn´t add to the scene I went with either. Good news .... Im building another tank at the moment and am opening it up specifically to see the engine.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
Frank, as a Frenchie fanatic,I must say, chapeau!
This is rated top!

nice colors are stunning, the blue tarp on the back, damn,spot on !

greetz
motorbreath23
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
wow what a cool looking light tank! Frank you've done a great job, cant wait to see the finished dio. Slainte!
Galwitz
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
Very nice work, Frank!

My only comment would be regarding the way the German officer is holding the rifle. It appears to be a bit impractical posture for the situation. He holds the rifle with his left hand and gestures with the right one. If anything happens and he needs to use the weapon, he has to put the right hand back on the trigger first - losing valuable time. It’s a minor detail but I think in reality he would either point the way with the rifle's muzzle or use left hand keeping the right one readily on the trigger.

-A-
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work, Frank!

My only comment would be regarding the way the German officer is holding the rifle. It appears to be a bit impractical posture for the situation. He holds the rifle with his left hand and gestures with the right one. If anything happens and he needs to use the weapon, he has to put the right hand back on the trigger first - losing valuable time. It’s a minor detail but I think in reality he would either point the way with the rifle's muzzle or use left hand keeping the right one readily on the trigger.

-A-

Tell it to Dragon, he's done it how it comes in the set

http://www.dragon-models.com/html/6407poster.htm

Alan
Galwitz
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Rest assured I understand that, Alan... I merely tried to offer some constructive feedback. The group on the DML box art is depicted in completely different situation and even then the posture looks a bit strange to me.

HTH

-A-
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work, Frank!

-A-

considering his fellow German soldier is holding what would be presumed to be a fully locked and loaded MP 40 and that the captured troops are unarmed and one is wounded, i would suspect that the officer could sling the rifle over his shoulder and the situation would still be the same.

jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

considering his fellow German soldier is holding what would be presumed to be a fully locked and loaded MP 40 and that the captured troops are unarmed and one is wounded, i would suspect that the officer could sling the rifle over his shoulder and the situation would still be the same.

LOL, but you never know with the French

or maybe he's gonna shoot'm in the back?
(and don't get all emo on this, it's a fact that French soldiers and tankers specially where shot while surrendering, due to the fierce resistance they gave .)

with what colours did you paint the H ?

fantastic job Frank, and as I watch this post unwind, I think to myself, what is up these days with all that extreme judgin' the work, don't people have some kind of fantasy ?
ok if you're depicting a photo,but as a work of art, why all those Q's?

well, lookin' out how you're gonna paint them Krauts
and special attention will go to the French tankers
always a challenge to get that leather feel to the jacket.

greet
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

or maybe he's gonna shoot'm in the back?
(and don't get all emo on this, it's a fact that French soldiers and tankers specially where shot while surrendering, due to the fierce resistance they gave .)

Oh, I know enough history to know the French were pretty darn adept militarily. I was more than a bit bewildered when here in the US French came to be synonymous with cowardice back during the beginning of the war in the Middle East. The French Navy helped us turn the tide against Britian during our War for Independence. If they hadn't helped us we may well have been defeated and remained under British rule. Napolean was certainly no slouch and if he'd have had a better understanding of the beast that is the Russian Winter things might have been quite different in Europe still. (The Germans didn't learn that Russian Winter lesson either.) And the French Partisans in WWII were the very definition of heroic as was the resistance in all the Occupied Territories. It made me wish many more people here knew their own history better than most do.

I'm not sure what "going emo" means. I saw a show about kids in Mexico that called themselves Emos. They sorta looked like Goths sans makeup with weird hair. Apparently everybody liked to beat them up, especially the female Emos, which was the subject of the documentary I saw. They were conducting a publicity campaign for acceptance. I don't think I'd be "going emo" if it entails all that!

I know-
Aonghas
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Excellent work. It is one of those builds that inspires someone (me!) to pick up a hotchkiss kit. Looking forward to the finished diorama.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
Thanks again to all those who replied. Much appreciated.
Anyways ... its coming into the final stages now ... figures are painted. I took some photos before fixing them in place, so better angles can be got. I´ll have some at the weekend, of the finished scene. Cheers

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 02:01 PM UTC
figs look brill!
the german with the Kar and the flowing coat is my fave by far, who makes him!?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
Thanks James. He´s a Dragon figure from the "Panzermeyer, LSSAH Division (Mariupol 1941)" set ....kit # 6116. The head is from Alpine ... an extra from the early panzer crew pair. The belt is from Aber.
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 03:46 PM UTC
Oh my, those are amazing Frank i wished i could do something even close to the way those look, beautiful work mate.

Ron.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
I wondered when this one might resurface...now I know what's been taking you so long Frank!

Very sharp work on the figures, almost to the finish line.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 08:55 AM UTC
Superb work, Frank, some of the best accessories I've ever seen, especially the officer with his belt hanging down. Nice!
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC
What brand of paint do you use with the figures, Frank? The uniform colors are superb! Magnificent work! I especially think the wounded soldier was done very realistically in respect to the wound. I think this is the most challenging thing to get to look real. Some day I hope I will be able to paint figures half this good and transcend the cartoonish looking way mine presently come out.
Alexziz
Visit this Community
Primorskiy, Russia
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hello, Frank !
Magnificent work! I am admired by your skill!

Alexander