_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vickers Medium Machine Gun CArrier
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I was fortunate enough to receive the Resicast Conversion for the Medium Machine Gun Carrier to review and in keeping with the policy have started this build blog, thanks to Graham at Resicast supplying the kit for review.

Although deployed in many forms the original concept of the carrier was to provide a means of transport or a medium machine gun crew, all its ammo and supplies to a given spot from where they could dismount and fight independently of the vehicle. Over time the commander/driver and crewman became the machine gun crew and so in this form it was perhaps being used very much in its original concept.

I've been giving some thought as to how I might finish the carrier. The first option is as a vehicle belonging to the Independent Mortar and Machine Gun Company, 1st Company Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, who were the support company for the Guards Armoured Division in NWE. In this form it would fit nicely with this vehicle which I just finished recently:

However, I was looking at the box art:

and it got me thinking about Italy and Anzio. The 1st Battalion Irish Guards fought through North Africa and landed in Taranto on Tuesday 7th December 1943.

At just after midnight on 22 January 1943 they landed in Anzio. The fighting that followed was intense and the 1st Battalion was almost wiped out some 240 ranks being returned to England to form the Training and Replacement Battalion, many of whom went on to fill the ranks of 2nd Irish Guards Armoured and 3rd Battalion Irish Guards.

Despite repeated attempts to throw the Allies back into the sea the Germans didn't manage to break the Anzio Beach Head and the Battalion played a key role in the fighting there. If I remember correctly the carrier sections were very active, but I shall have to re-the history again to be sure, but I thought this might be a fitting tribute from an ex Mick and also fit in well with the recent Dragon Commonwealth kit.

I have the Military Workshop Series Universal Carrier Varients Part 1 and according to the introduction the MG carriers came into being in late 42/early 43 so the time period may be right. More research required lol, lol.

Anyway, anyone who might have some reference pics that might help with either time frame please feel free to contribute.

A link to the review of this kit can be found here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3473

Cheers

Al
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC
I think the Irish Guard are a good idea, although I am bias.
I look forward to seeing the progress.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Ach! What a cracking looking vehicle Alan. Your builds are stunning!

Btw, (just to steal the topic) what happened to "Pier 51"? I don't seem to have come across it lately...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
Vertigo,

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll need to do a bit more reading, it's 3 years since I read the history so I'll need to refresh my mind.

Hi Murdo,

How are things? Glad you dropped in and thanks for your comments on the UC. On the other question, 'Pier 51' work is on going slowly. I have a new 'larger base' lol, lol and I'm working on small itmes and finishing off some of the stuff that almost got done last year. Not as much progress as I would like, but I keep gettting diverted as there is so much new good British Armour Around this year and last. Still every build adds more experience and new techniques that, provided I can remember them lol, lol, should help me in the build. Other diversions are work, the new wife and having moved home. I have stuff I still haven't unpacked yet lol, lol - you know how it is.

Cheers

Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Al,

As I have been saying in just about each of your carrier threads, your builds are very informative and will come in use when I get around to doing my Bren carrier diorama.

See ya,

Chas
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

Thanks, I'm glad they have been of some use, lots of possibiities with the carrier and fun to do too.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

what no reference Pics !!!

I did find this one

and this one, although no an MG Carrier is class.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers provided the Mortar and MG Support for 7th Armd, 11th Armd and Guards Armoured in NWE.

The Middlesex Regiment , Kensington Regiment, Manchester Regiment and the Cheshire Regiment provided the same for the Infantry divisions.

Does any one know the Mortar and MG Regiments in Italy and also any Canadian MG Regiments?

Cheers

Al

A few more reference pics:

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi Alan I've got some more for you.
Great build !!!!

I thought the rear brackets were interesting.

Not an mg carrier but interesting markings on a Canadian carrier.

You may be able to answer this - what's the round container on the back of this carrier - flame thrower ?

Towed 6 lb'er

And last but not least - are they drinking Black and Tans ? ...............l.o.l.

Glenn
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Many thanks for the pics, I like the one of the 2 guys having a pint lol, lol.

I think the pic you asked about is the WASP Mk II that was developed by the Canadians and had the tank on the rear. Resicast had conversions for 2 or 3 vervions but I don't see the on site at the moment.

The MK II was a prefered option and allowed the Bren Gunner to operate as well if I remember correctly.

Excelent pics, thanks again.

Al
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
No problem Alan , glad I found these.
Yes that has to be a WASP.

One question though , while looking again at the pics. - the second one is odd because of the white paint on the Jerry cans. Strange - anyone have any ideas on this ?
Glenn
KPHeinrich
Visit this Community
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC

One question though , while looking again at the pics. - the second one is odd because of the white paint on the Jerry cans. Strange - anyone have any ideas on this ?
Glenn[/quote]

Perhaps the jerrycans marked with white paint are for water ?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Could be water or just marked with 'These are OURS' lol, lol.

Al
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:01 AM UTC
wonder if any other company will come out with an update version? God knows there were enough of them built and used by the British, Commonwealth units, Russia and even captured ones by the Germans. That alone should be enough for Dragon to kit one

Darryl
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the rear brackets were interesting.

They're actually on the front of the Carrier. You can see the gunner's armour plate to the right of the photo.

Quoted Text

You may be able to answer this - what's the round container on the back of this carrier - flame thrower ?

Alan is close. It's a Wasp IIC, the C indicating the Canadian version, with, as he says, the fuel outside the vehicle. Not only did it permit the use of the bren over the side, but, primarily, it kept that nasty flamable fuel outside the place where the crew were located in the not-infrequent cases when the fuel tank was holed by enemy fire. You know it's going to be a bad day when your driver's cab begins to fill up with gasoline, you're still at the controls and the engine is still running right behind you...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wonder if any other company will come out with an update version? God knows there were enough of them built and used by the British, Commonwealth units, Russia and even captured ones by the Germans. That alone should be enough for Dragon to kit one

Darryl

Hi Darrl,

Others have had about 30 years, but no one has stepped into the breach yet. Like the rest of the Tamiya British offerings, they never fully developed the potential, but with Academy and AFV taking on a few of the oldies who knows. We've had a bumper 2 years with Staghounds, Humbers and stuff.

The number of varients on this one are hugh, will we see some new plastic versions, who knows.

You're right the Germans used a lot of them they captured at Dunkirk, found thisd one on a recent post, one for the Axis fans

Paul, thanks IIC, apologies didn't have my reference book to hand at the time.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hi guys,

i haven't had time to re-read the history I mentioned above so I'm still undecided about location ie Italy or NWE.

In the mean time some shots of the parts I took for the review.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I've been busy at work and working on the HUW, but with a bit of luck will make a start on the carrier this weekend.

First up after everthing has has a good soak, will be a clean up of the Tamiya kit parts to remove the unwanted bits as per the instruction booklet:

A good shapr razor saw, and file/emery board will be needed.

BTW - have you seen the new Crew for the carriers?

Al

KPHeinrich
Visit this Community
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:55 AM UTC
Yes, the two new figures from resicast looks good.

Now they just need to make a commander/ gunner and driver
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hi KP,

Yes, that would be nice.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

well as my HUW build is drawing to a close, time to move on with this one.

This is the donor kit I'll be using. Coming in a under £10.00 it's pretty good value for money and with a set of new tracks would still build into a fairly decent model.

The parts are soaking in the sink as I type so I should get started on this tonight.

The box containing the washed Resicast replacement resin parts:

The first part I'll do is remove the stub from the engine block and fix the small fittings to the engine.

Instructions:

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Apologies I've been a bit slow in getting underway with this one, got diverted finishing off my trucks. Boxes are open and will get started today.

Al

Edit: later the same day!!

Started the clean up of the side panels and removal of the unwanted parts. Not much done but it's underway. There are 5 or 6 small mould marks that need clean of too.

Al
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hi Alan,

This is a good detail set to do.
Seeing the parts break up brings back memories.

Are you going to be using any eduard etch?

Modelkasten do a perfect track set for this model complete with white metal drive sprockets.

Very tedious to put together .I found the detail in Modelkasten track a lot sharper and better replicated .

Look forward to the build images .

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Cracking looking carrier you have there, great work.

I'll be building it as it comes from the box with additional items I already have. The MK tracks look great but are mighty expensive. Graham's new resin tracks are great too,(and much cheaper), easy to work with and have good detail. There is a PE fret with the kit so, that should be covered, straps and stuff I'll make from roll lead wire as need be.

This is the new version of the MG carrier set, so hopefully all bases will be covered. I held off for about 2 years or more waiting for reasonable priced tracks before I upgraded a couple of old versions I had built. Then the New Resicast stuff started to appear and I've gone on from there lol, lol.

Thanks for the pic, good reference and a great model. If mine is half as good I'll be chuffed.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

First part of the clean up is done. You need to remove the kit parts as per the instructions and fill in the dip in the floor. There are lots of injection pin markks inside the kit so this is a good time to deal with those too.

Next will be the fitting of the main hull parts and the new bulk head behind the drivers position. Then adding the engine buttons and handles to the engine block.

Al

Edit,

The next stage

_GOTOTOP