Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Get the Job Done Again
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC

My input for this. 1/35 DML SU-85m with some selfmade parts and some Eduard PE parts. Hopefully I got the photo uploaded.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
Ok, I chose my half-built kit. If I finish it, I will continue with other kits (I have 23 incomplete kits, lots of variety to choose from!).

This is DML's old BMP-2. I have painted it with Humbrol No.30 about a year ago, then it was abandoned and forgotten. Until now.

I have finally applied a clear cote with Tamiya X-22 today. Decals will follow shortly, after which I will apply weathering. It will be built as a Soviet Russian vehicle.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC
@Dave-I'm sure you'll find something too. Welcome aboard.
@Jim- Welcome. The T-35 is one of those ugly, but gotta have kits for me. Looking forward too seeing you complete yours. Welcome.
@Mark- Your 250/8 looks about ready to be painted. This is the perfect campaign for it!
@Eetu- Love the exhaust wrap on the T-70. You got time, I'm sure you can get it finished.
@Kimmo-Looks like your SU-85 is also about ready for paint. Looking forward to seeing it complete as well.
@Emre-Love the finish so far on your BMP-2!

This is the very reason why I thought I would re-start this campaign....to clear the benches, or at least help clear them. Hopefully I have provided you guys with at least a little motivation to complete them. Try repeating this phrase if you should stall again...."Finished is better than perfect". I have a lot of those in my case, and I am always happy to finish them. Sometimes they come up short for whatever reason, and I hate to shelve them, so I just continue and get them finished and 9 out of 10 times I'm actually pretty damn pleased with how they come out. Stay with them guys! December is a long ways off! Thanks again for joining and posting your projects. "Q"

ps. I've made some progress on my Ford Woody. Will get some pics posted soon.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 09:44 AM UTC
Man now I remember why I didn't finish this the first time around,

The tracks are a real pain to put together, my biggest problem is to tell myself to stop and let dry whats done.
Bob
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
Bob, I feel your pain. I have built a couple of those kits that have the indi links for the sherman so I know what you mean. Looking good so far. Keep at it. "Q"
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hi Bob,

That's a kit I also abandoned during construction, when a Sherman project on a local site was disbanded due to disinterest and most members going MIA. How bad are the tracks? Do you have to assemble a number of tiny pieces just to get a single track link in place?
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi all,
Signed up and am ready to go with

Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell (with a Verlinden upgrade set):

Will probably try to do some kind of small diorama with this, although I'll be happy just to finish the model!

Tasca 1/35 Firefly:

And yes, those roadwheels have scratchbuilt rivets, all 144 of them (didn't bother to do the back of the wheels ). This one will pretty much be an out-of-the-box build.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob,

That's a kit I also abandoned during construction, when a Sherman project on a local site was disbanded due to disinterest and most members going MIA. How bad are the tracks? Do you have to assemble a number of tiny pieces just to get a single track link in place?

They are the individual links, instructions are to layout and construct the top and bottom rows and then individual link the 2 together. So far I tried front to back, next time I'll try back to front, at least that way I can slide them on or off until I finish them. The problem is to be able to construct and paint/weather later.
Just real time consuming, you just need to know when to stop fiddling with them and let them dry a little.
Bob

I see Mark will also be having the same fun, but then putting on those rivits would have done me in.
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC

I'm up for this one, I'm the King of half builds, got a workroom full to prove it....., but.....
I'll put myself down to just 3 to complete (don't want to over stetch myself ) they will be my:-

1/35 Trumpeter KV 2
1/35 Tamiya Universal Carrier &
1/35 Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 222 (Afrika Korps)

I'll take some pics over the weekend (if I get time, off to Trucks and Tracks Sunday, so it may have to wait until monday) and I'll post them next week to show you all what stages they are at.

I have to say this is a top idea for a campaign, nice one...

Jason
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 09:36 AM UTC
Well here's what i got.

I have these to besties in the stash waiting to be completed.

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 03:01 PM UTC
Those look to be prime candidates for this campaign Scott. I have been going thru my stash and have found yet more unfinished kits of all types and scales. I think I am going to set them on a shelve all their own so I can eventually get to them. I haven't been able to get a lot of building in lately as I have been working on a 1:1 scale project. I'm restoring a 1965 Ford Falcon 4 Door Wagon and it has taken a lot of my time here lately. I'm anxious to get her running again (She was when I parked her over a year ago) so that I can cruise her on Saturday nights this spring and summer. With only a little over 21,000 miles on her, she has a lot of life left yet. Looking forward to seeing more of everybody's builds. Thanks, "Q"
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 08:09 PM UTC
Just signed the dotted line and enlisted after that I have some kits sitting around, semi-built for about 20 years Hopefully I should be able to finish some of them before the end of the year.

cheers
David
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
One down two to go .

Ive painted the wire and the cranes hook sorry i dont have any more photos

Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC

Hi All,

This is where my 3 chosen subjects are at, at the moment....

The Tamiya 222 looks like this....

The Trumpeter KV looks like this

and the Tamiya Universal carrier looks even worse... like this

Jason
PlaneOldMe
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi all,
This is my Dragon Elefant i started about 5 years ago, got it built, put the Zim on and then stopped. I dont think i was happy with the thickness of the zimmerit, and i think that killed it for me. I decided to take another stab at it.

This is it with the base coat on. I tried using Vallejo model air, but i got about 5-6 seconds out of the air brush before it clogged, went back to Tamiya. I can't figure out Vallejo, it seems to clog every time yet others seem to use it straight from the bottle with no problem.

Got the green

and brown on

Gloss coat and decals on.

This is where it went a little wrong, The Gloss coat did n't go on as well as it should have? It was a bit rough. The kit decals were a bit of a problem as well, They had yellowed a bit, so i went to my stash for replacements.

Washing next.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:24 PM UTC
Looking good Dean. Keep at it. Thanks for posting your progress pics. "Q"
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:50 PM UTC
Looks good, Dean. Very nice job on the camouflage. The zimmerit looks to be okay to me.

Looking forward to see more
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
Here is my entry. I don't do armor but I got this kit for Christmas about 4 years ago. I started it durring Christmas break that year but only got as far as painting a green basecoat. This one should give me some good practice at weathering and distressing.

Hermon
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
Howdy all. Looks like everybody is comig up with something for the campaign and that is great. I might be laid up for a little while. Was pulling the engine out of my Falcon this evening and the chain slipped. I was between it and the ground and caught all of it. Stood there for a couple minutes holding several hundred pounds while frantically calling for my wife to come and rehook the chain. Got the engine to the ground safely and I'm not too much worse for wear. Back is starting to ache a bit so I'll drop some motrin and see how I feel in the morning. Might give me a reason to spend some more time at the bench. Just glad I didn't break anything....the engine and me that is. Keep at the builds folks. Looking forward to seeing more and more finished. Thanks, "Q"
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hi All,

After a bit of exploration into the stash, I have selected a couple of starters;

firstly a VM Bishop Mk I,

It was started well over 15 years ago with the aim of turinig it into a Valentine MkV

there is even an Acurate Armour 3 Man Valentine turret in the box

secondly a MP Models M-50 Sherman, I hate to thing how long it has been has been in my stash But it contains enough parts to make a M4A4 hull, so along with some leftover VVSS suspension bit from a Dragon M4A1 and the Italeri M4A1, I plan to make a Sherman Bolster as used by 28th Assault Sqn NZE, in Italy. That is, one of these....

from this lot

(and, yes I do know that one is based on a M4A1, but they were also built on the A4, see Shermans in New Zealand Service 1943-45 )

cheers
David
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi Red 4 im sorry to hear that, i wish you a speedy recovery.

DJW, No diamond t with rogers trailer?

lol good luck buddy

Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
I'm in
found a Tasca Firefly which needs finishing,and a AFV club Centurion if I have time
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 05:02 AM UTC
The purpose of this post is two fold. Fiest, I was asked by Matt to come up with a campaign ribbon for this campaign. Well, I finally came through. Here are two proposed campaign ribbons for this campaign. Let me know what you think.

Proposal #1:

Proposal #2:

Hey, he asked a truck guy for a campaign ribbon. What did you expect?

Second, I wanted to post some WIP pics of my 1976 GMC Astro/95. Needs the interior completed & a final coat of paint on the cab.

It's not perfect, but I like it.

Jim
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Jim, Thanks for taking the time to make the ribbons. I like the first one. Secondly, It's not perfect, but I like it...... Finished is better than perfect. Looking good so far. You guys are making better progress than I am at the moment. Have been spending a lot of time working on 1:1 scale stuff here lately. Thankfully it should be back on the road soon and I can focus on my models again. Thanks again for the effort on the ribbons and for posting pics of your work. "Q"
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My input for this. 1/35 DML SU-85m with some selfmade parts and some Eduard PE parts. Hopefully I got the photo uploaded.

Little update: barrel is attached. Roadwheels, idlers and sprokets are now all painted and gloss warnish finished. Tracks are waiting last dark brown washes, exhaust pipes have rust finish and tank itself had its first gloss warnish today after three layers of HU86 and is drying right now. Hopefully tomorrow, it will get second gloss warnish layer. Then decals, tow cable to its place, washes, etc....