Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Dragon BMP-2 with AEF sets
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 08:06 PM UTC
So much work on detailing of this thing...
Olivier, are you planing to make it all visible somehow? Like removable roof of the hull or something?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So much work on detailing of this thing...
Olivier, are you planing to make it all visible somehow? Like removable roof of the hull or something?

The turret will be removable and I intend to let all the hatches and doors open. The fit of the AEF upper hull onto Dragon lower one is awful and prevents any kind of "remove-something" option.

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
Here is where I am today.

I added various straps, the AK muzzle supports, the missile stowage brackets (mentioned in AEF instructions but absent from the box !)
I also made the driver seat supports as they were missing too. I still have to create the bench seats supports that, once again, AEF omitted. I reasonably expect to get this finished this week-end !

PS: I'm seriously thinking about rewriting the review I made of this kit. My 60% rating was really high now that I have the experience of its building !

Olivier

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:12 AM UTC
Here is my Sunday update. I painted the interior and put the turret floor just to see what it will look after completion. Still have to add some details to the spare missiles but very little will remain visible !
Some weathering as if my BMP was in Afghanistan and I'll close the lid ! Quite a lot of work to do so as AEF upper hull does not sit correctly on Dragon lower hull. I guess nobody 's surprised with this.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AEF's width looks right, DROON's is wrong, BMP-2 is wider than BMP-1

Are you saying that Dragon's BMP-2 kit is wider than its BMP-1 kit or that the real BMP-2 is wider than the BMP-1?

AEF's upper hull is based on the DML kit parts. They did not make a new master. So if AEF looks correct, DML's should be too.

My current understanding, since I have not actually been around a BMP-1/2 to measure, is that DML made the BMP-2 kit hull 4-5mm too WIDE, but the correct length.
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC
Fantastic work Olivier, you've really got your hands full with this one. Your patience level is well above mine, that's for sure! Keep at it, looking good!

Cheers -
Tim
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
Very good work!
DML´s kit is not really accurate, but the "refinement-set" makes it perfect. ;-)

greetings
Soeren
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
Tim, you're right you need some patience to work with AEF stuff !

Gorizont, DML kit is not accurate but I forgive them due to the poor amount of data available when they released the kit. This is not the case with AEF who had an easier access to make their master. For example, even the dashboard is inaccurate whereas pictures of it are quite common.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Yes, thats right, that the DML kit is "a bit" older. ;-) I think, early 90´s or so.
But e re-release with updated sprues and/or other new parts, would be the best solution.

Easier access to data: I think, Zvezda could have the best access to data and original vehicles.
But they used the same sprues as Revell from the older Dragon kit.
This also is for some other vehicles from DML -> Zvezda -> Revell.

greetings
Soeren
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi all,
I'm back in town and get my hands on the BMP again after a long break.

I finally decided to close the hull and start detailing the exterior. This is not finished yet but I'm near to completion as far as the hull is concerned. I still have a lot to do to the turret.

Here are some pics of what I did up to now. To sum the things up, I had to redo all the add-on armor panels attachment points, and to redo correct front panels as Dragon ones were pure imagination. Most of the skirts hinges were either moved or redone. To make things funnier I decided to fix the wrong headlights area and to detail the towing hooks. The next tricky part will be the rear hatches.

Let's the pics speak for me

Here is how the interior looks like.

Comments welcome
Olivier
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 01:00 AM UTC
That's some serious work olivier and good to see that you're still working on it.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:02 AM UTC
I added some more details to the hatches before deciding I must look for the turret.

OK, I'm now on the turret. Just as a starter, the smoke grenades dischargers. Dragon missed them too or I should say their brackets.

So I removed the molded on wiring, filled the locating holes and made new brackets. I saved the SGD themselves.

Here is how one side looks. It took me quite the afternoon just for that (I'm not a fast runner indeed) And the other one is still waiting !

I've added the wire at the back of the launcher which is in place. When done, I hope they will be properly aligned !!

Olivier
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
I like these fine details and add-on´s on the vehicle.
Also, the interior looks very nice!

greetings...
Soeren
Romeo21
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 08:55 AM UTC
Outstanding piece of work Oliver!! It looks better with each addition.Keep the pics coming!
Cheers
Bob
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 05:25 AM UTC
I modified the brackets for the rear turret protection. Dragon obviously lacked data when they made this part.
The first picture shows Dragon original part and its brackets. Then come the modified brackets pictures. They are not perfect and I think I'll have to fix some angled parts.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 08:27 AM UTC
Really nice work on that back turret plate. I did not realize how bad that setup was until I saw your work and looked over my references...it is painfull how simplified it is.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 06:45 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques for your appreciation. I fear that the whole kit is a miss concerning accuracy. Whenever I have a close look at my references, I find new details to fix or add.
Not that Dragon made a bad kit intentionally, they didn't have direct access to the thing when the kit was released. But I'd really appreciate to see a new one coming up.
I'm pretty sure Miniarm announced kit will be terrific (so will the price ) but a good plastic kit seems to be under reach by any of the current manufacturers. I keep my fingers crossed !

Olivier
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 09:28 PM UTC
But I'd really appreciate to see a new one coming up.
I'm pretty sure Miniarm announced kit will be terrific (so will the price ) but a good plastic kit seems to be under reach by any of the current manufacturers. I keep my fingers crossed !

Hmm, Trumpeter planned some soviet/russian vehicles for release next year.
So perhaps we will also see a "better" BMP-2 and others. (1, 2D/E, 3 and versions of them)

greetings...
Soeren
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi all,
just a small update about the work I did around the gun mantlet and the IR serchlight.
The searchlight cradle has been thinned and detailed. The power cord has been added and its socket under the mantlet created.
The mantlet canvas got its retaining strips.

One part must be glued again but nothing that hard ! I just have to detail the commander sight and his IR searchlight and the build will be over

Olivier
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Olivier
Great to watch the level of care and attention you are are bringing to this build. Certainly a step by step make over that will provide lasting reference for the rest of us for some time to come, thanks for this.
Regards
Bill
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC
Nice details, which can be simply added and show good results.
Hmm, did you planned to use a metal barrel?

greetings...
Soeren
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice details, which can be simply added and show good results.
Hmm, did you planned to use a metal barrel?

greetings...
Soeren

Thanks Bill and Soeren.
I don't plan to use a metal barrel. I have drilled out the holes in the muzzle brake and even if it is not the exact shpae, I think I'll keep it that way.

I discovered that the commander sight in the kit is not the one I see on most of the pictures available on the web so I decided to make a new one. As a consequence, I have to change the light support too.
I added the "liner" inside the hatch as Dragon molded one is mis-shaped and misses some details.

Hopefully, all this will be done by the end of the week-end !
Thanks for your interest in my project

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hi all,
here are the last steps before painting !!

I modified the commander sight to make it like the more common one seen on the pictures over the web.
I detailed the searchlight of the gunner.

As I missed valuable documentation about the way the KMT was fitted to the lower hull I changed my mind and went back to a standard vehicle. As a consequence, I removed the central plate (armor ?) and added some bolt heads and towing eyes.

I'll set the doors and the hatches in place after painting to ease the protection of the interior.

Olivier
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi all,
here are some shots of the whole vehicle before painting. I think that helps getting an idea of what needs to be modified on the Dragon kit to get something more accurate. I'm not telling my kit is fully accurate, other details could be added but the donor kit has some dimensions issues that limit the quest for accuracy. I hope you like it anyway.

Olivier
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 11:54 PM UTC
Just... WOW!
Also I like these views of kits, showing the different materials, which were used.
It´s a shame, to paint that.

Which paint-scheme did you planned for it?
The well known sand and green-scheme?

greetings...
Soeren