_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri Willis MB 4 x 4 Jeep - 2IG (Armd)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

the second of my jeep porjects will be the Italeri kit which I want to finish as a vehicle from 2 IG (Armd).

Here's a link to the original thread that has some useful info

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/139282#1163366

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hey Al,
I've always liked this kit.
The figures are a bit of a horror but the vehicle, while not completely up to the current standards, has some nice detail !!
Have one partially built "shelf queen" that I plan to use as my Dad's jeep in a "cattle rustling" diorama.
Will be watching this one closely !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 12:00 PM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for the links in the original post, and I'll look forward to the catttle rustling dio I remember you telling me the story, it should be interesting.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well i got a start on this one this evening. Just cleaned uo the chass is a bit. The bumpers on the rear looked a bit thick so I thinned them out with some files and cleaned up some flash.

The inspiration came form here:

Whether mine will look like this or not I'm not yet sure Might need a bit of help decifering the pic.

Also let me say thanks to Dave aka Grumpoldman who kindly provided a set of PE for the kit from Trakz ste TX 0058. Much appreciated.

Al

Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
I have been eying this kit. I can not wait to see how your process of building the kit goes.

Tony
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Tony,

I don't know what price these are in the States, but I got mine for Ł5.86p which was great.

Anyone out there able to do a good enlargment of the jeep? That would be most useful.

Thanks

Al

Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
I can get one in the USA off the internet for $15. Not too bad.

There is a guy that I will be meeting on July 4 weekend at JeepSkool (www.jeepskool.com) that has a 1942 GPW (a Willy that was made by Ford). I plan on taking pictures of it. There are a few cosmetic differences but few. Almost all the parts are interchangable with the MB.

Tony
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Here a picture of one that was restored.

There are many pictures of the restoration.

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/my44mb/index.html
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the links very useful.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Not much done on the jeep this week. There are 5 sink/mould marks on teh inside of each side, 3/4 5 on the cab floor and 4 or some on the underside that need removed. I have thinned the front and rear bumpers and fixed the rear panel, and sides. After the side panels had set I cut off and filed down the locating bars on the inside.

It will need a little filler here and there but not a bad fit.

I should really have fitted the front radiator at this stage but this was as far as I got!! I'll deal with that next.

Al
BobsGrog
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Good start on your Willys jeep Al. Looking forward to seeing this one develop and don't those pin marks drive you crazy sometimes. (Working on my sea-legs here at Armorama)

Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi dave,

Thanks, just thinning out the front mudguards and fitting the radiator at the moment. Unfortunately the reference picture turns out to be a medical type jeep lol, lol, not really what I want to build but it was what got me thinking about one anyway.

Cheers

Al
BobsGrog
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Now that you mentioned the reference you had was for a medic jeep you have got me thinking. Hmmmmm since I do have some good reference photos of Canadian medic jeeps it might make for an intersting build . So, I'll be interested in the quirks of the Italeri kit. But it's going to have to wait until the CMP C60L project is finished.

Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

It's a cool picture. I have some CMP stuff planned for later this year, the 134" and 158" wheel base. Been wanting to have a go at those a a good while now.

Italeri do a medical jeep, I built one years ago, gave it a re-paint and used it in one of my LC.

They make pretty good softskins, things tend to need thinned down a bit and there is always room to add a bit more detail.

Look forward to your C60L.

Al
Halaci
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

I don"t know whether you need reference pictures or not, but there is a link to a Hungarian fan-page, where there are a alot of pics both wartime (unfortunately for you mainly US) and restored ones, and another one of a gallery from a Hungarian car site with some very good close-ups.

http://ww2jeep.gportal.hu/gindex.php?pg=4236629

http://index.hu/gal/?dir=totalcar/magazin/szerelem/jeepcs/&currpic=http://index.hu/cikkepek/totalcar/magazin/szerelem/jeepcs//.gdata/cikk/jeepcs_010.jpg
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
Al,

Progress looks good so far. Keep us posted interested in the building process of this kit.

TOny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Laszlo,

Thanks for the links, very sueful.

Tony,

Will do. Not much else done, fitted the radiator and thinned the front mud guards. Will do a little filling and painting internals this evening after I fit the pedels. I've been told that they tires aren't , but I don't know who makes a replacement set..

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
i Guys,

Can't find any replacement wheel for this one, so I guess I shall have to go with the kit ones.

Fitted the gears and pedels plus started on the suspension.

Al
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the update. Looking good. My daughter bought me the Tamiya Jeep MB kit for Father's Day. But it remains unopen waiting for the beginning of the Wheels campaign.

Tony
sniper34
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Does anyone know if this kit is the same as the old Heller kit # 81120? Sure looks the same. I have one of those. Your build has inspired me. Thanks.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 05:52 PM UTC
The original Heller kit was for a M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking in.

Latest efforts. finished off the suspension and added the front grill and bonnet. I just put in the engine block as part shows beneith the vehicle but left most of the other bits out as the bonnet is closed.

Dave, on the PE, so far I've only used the gas pedel, as the other pedels were too small for me to deal with so, I made pedels fron plastic I beam. Sanded both front and rear bumpers as it seemed an easier option than the PE.!!!

Cheers

Al
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 03:53 AM UTC
Al,

Good progress. I can not tell from the instruction sheet above. Does the kit have a engine in the motor compartment?

Tony
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi Tony,

ipY, it has an engine and some parts, but they would need thinned or replaced if you want to show the bonnet open. The bonnet itself is quite thinn, only some ejection marks to get rid off and I filed it down a bit more inside. Still with a bit of work if you wanted the engine on display it has the basic shape just needs new pipes and battery.

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, on the PE, so far I've only used the gas pedel, as the other pedels were too small for me to deal with so, I made pedels fron plastic I beam. Sanded both front and rear bumpers as it seemed an easier option than the PE.!!!

No problem Alan, tips: 1.The Jeep can holder- looks great if you want one empty, but I had to sand the hell out of an Italeri gas can to get it to fit. 2. The bumperettes on the rear are extremely fragile, I had a hell of a time putting on dry transfers. the front one is a smigeon too narrow, at least for the transfers I used. 3. The tool straps will drive you crazy. 4. I didn't even attempt the canvas top fittings.
---- I may have my jeep done sometime this month----- meaning July or August!!
 _GOTOTOP