Hosted by Darren Baker
D-DAY / DAKOTA NIGHT !
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
Today, exactly on D-Day, I have finished my Dakota Skytrain.
It is my tribute to all the Allied soldiers that braught war back to Hitler's Festung Europa.

D-DAY / DAKOTA NIGHT !

Cheers, Guy.
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 03:35 PM UTC
Very nice Guy, Very nice. That's the second one of these I have seen this year. Saw one in person at my local show in March. Well done.
kaiserine
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
Guy!

Very Nice!
The pics are just Waaoow!
I really like it. Great model and great tribute you've done.

congratulation my friend.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
that's a very nice model built your have been doing Guy, I like it, great action!
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 12:36 AM UTC
A great tribute. The model looks brilliant and the action exciting! If only there was a way to hide the support stands...

Well done mate, you should send this to Aeroscale as a feature article or at least a photo feature.

Chas

guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 12:55 AM UTC
James : thank you, I have always loved this airplane.
The D-Day group build on modelbouw@be gave me a reason to finally make a project of it.

Alexandre : it was a fun and relaxed build. Now I can jump out of my C-47, straight into my cork tiles to continue my Wilkommen stuff. Thank you Alexandre, most appreciated as always !

JBA, thank you, I have to tell you that I wasn't completely satisfied about the flak clouds, but I reworked them so now I can sleep again . Pics follow.

Hey Chas, thank you too my friend, I know, the support stands, how on earth can I do better ?
I thought about transparent stands, but they shine so bright in the light, and there are shadow lines in them too.

As I said to JBA, I reworked the position of the flak bursts. Here are the final pics :

Cheers guys ! G.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to tell you that I wasn't completely satisfied about the flak clouds, but I reworked them

Hi Guy. Im not a wingy fan, but this is a very cool aircraft. Looks great. Personally I would lose the flak clouds completly .... they left me wondering what they were ... and IMO only detract from the aircraft. Love the propellers in motion!
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
Hello Frank, yes...the flak clouds, I know...

I was so impressed when I watched Band Of Brothers a couple of years ago : episode two, during the D-Day landings. The squadron of C-47's flying and holding the formation between the bursting flak grenades, what a magnificent moment !

I can remove them easily, but then I loose a bit of action, it's hard to decide what to do.
If there's a better way to make the flak clouds... I'm looking forward to it and replace them by better ones.

Thank you Frank, most appreciated !

G.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Super cool Dakota! Great job, Guy.I'm a big fan of props in motion and yours are superb. I don't think there is aperfect way to support 'in flight' AC. I'm reluctantly on Frank's track about the flak clouds, love the idea-butj ust no real good way to pull it off in 3D scale.
Cheers!
Rick
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC
I think the flak clouds add a lot to the scene. The bottom burst looks spot on (it looks like it is "bursting"). The top one is not so good (looks more like a ball).

If you can make the top cloud look more like it is "bursting", it would look so much better!

Also, you could try add a little flash with some yellow/orange paint, and maybe some grey smoke? Just an idea...

Chas
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hey guys, thank you for your opinions, they're very interesting and they made me think about what to do next. I have decided to remove the flak bursts/clouds. I will look for a suitable background photo, depicting a formation of C-47's in the sky, under fire by flak.

I'll show the final results.

G.
Longlance
Visit this Community
Galway, Ireland
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 10:34 AM UTC
Wow what a scene, well done mate, an another good scene from band of brothers is at the end of episode 1 when the C47's are crossing the channel with the invasion fleet steaming below, as for the flak, it looks alrite to me, prehapes if could suspend the C47 so that its wings are tipped as the pilot battle to keep the aircaft level, only thought
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 11:35 AM UTC
Looks good, nice idea.
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 06:08 PM UTC
Hi ya Guy
A very nice build.
Very reminisent of the opening to day of days from Band of Brothers

Chris
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 06:49 PM UTC
Very nice, Guy. Congratulations!
What a great way to honor the Pilots and Paratroopers who flew the planes and jumped into Normandy 65 years ago.
I'm really an armor fan but I do appreciate a great build.....and this is a great build.

Jeff
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 08:26 PM UTC
Guys, your comments make me feel so good today ! I'm very, very pleased. Thank you for thinking with me about other ways to make it more interesting to look at.

Many people liked the idea of the flak explosions, others told me they were a good try, but nothing more. So I finally decided to remove these cloud-effects.

The only minor thing about it is : now I lost the Band Of Brothers opening scene !

But I will try to find a good picture of flak bursts to put in the back ground of the display.

I made a name plate to finish the display too.

Cheers, Guy.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 09:04 PM UTC
Guy,

That's a fantastic piece of work. The rotating props effect is just magnificent.

- Steve
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 04:32 PM UTC
Nice job Guy. The C-47 is one of my favorites. Is this Italeri's 1/72 C-47? If so, how was it to build? One idea that might work to hide the flak bursts a bit would be to mount them on lengths of clear styrene rod. You might be able to do the same with the plane as well. Just a thought.

Brian
barbacanosa
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / España
KitMaker: 296 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
I love, I find it very original.
share a taste for the work coming out of the ordinary.
some time to make a similar work and share it if only to send you some pictures

saludos y congratulations
Domi
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 09:41 PM UTC
Steve, thank you, it is something different for a change. It was new to me, to present an airplane this way, and btw. it is only my second plane I've ever made.

Brian, thank you, it is the Italeri 1/72 kit indeed. I didn't have many problems while assembling but the instruction sheet was not clear enough : different options are possible but this was kept very vague. No major fit problems, but the front window of the cockpit was a tricky one. I made a whole new one for better result.

Domi, thank you for the additional pics of your work. Magnificent job you've done on this plane.

Cheers ! G.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
Guy-- as usual, great workmanship. Love the job you did. One recommendation, you should remove the jump door on the left side of the aircraft. They were removed prior to flight. Also, if you do so, place some tape on the rear hinges. This was done to preclude the static line from catching on them during the jump.
Well done
DJ
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
DJ, I thank you for your advice on removing the door. I know they were removed before the jump, but the interior details were completely left aside by Italeri and I wanted to move on, and there was a deadline too. But I'm sure of one thing : this is my first, but not the last C-47 I will build ! And the next one will show US paratroopers ready to jump and kick some German butt in Normandy or Holland.

Cheers Guy.
 _GOTOTOP