_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Building AFV Club's new T-34! (with Interior)
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 453 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 05:34 PM UTC
It's Here! ...well, actually only here on Armorama.
I will be the first to build and review this long-awaited new kit from AFV Club.
Yes, I can happily say that one of the most important kit releases of the year will be in your local hobby shop very soon!

ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 06:01 PM UTC

muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hello Ted
Your a lucky .
That does look to be an impressive item.
Will be watching to see how you finish it.
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Ted-
this thing is revolutionary!

From now on a T-34 model will be expected to have an interior.
Amazing!

Steve
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 03:56 PM UTC
I'm starting this build with the engine, as it's a real gem. Below is a restored example.

ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 04:07 PM UTC
I don't know if I'd paint the intake manifolds (parts A54) black, as they're stamped sheet steel. Who knows what color they were, really?
As a gear-head mechanic, I can say that every detail one would expect to find under the 'hood' of a real T34 is in the kit...down to the hose clamps!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi Ted. Do you know if AFV Club will ever release this engine set seperatly? Ive built the old maquette engine recently .... and its embarassing considering the details that are missed and also how soft the existing details are. Good work on the new kit ... very clean build ... which is so important with the clear parts. Pity there are no backs to the details along the interior .... sort of kills this possibility, IMO.
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 05:31 PM UTC
the separate engine kit is a good one. I wish they'd do a series of big-scale engine kits: the Wright radial, Leopard 2 powerpack, RR merlin/meteor. How many people would build that?!
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hi the photo that shows the engine compartment in the kit is wrong , the round dish air filter is correct for pre 1942 , but the twin air filters in the rear over the gear box are post 1943 , both cannot be fitted at the same time . cheers ian
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 10:05 PM UTC
Well-spotted! This is a case of the T-34 "Mythical Weapon" book coming in handy -I only spotted that after I bought the book. Ian, do you have any pics of a T-34 with the single early air filter?
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi I wish I was able to help but the photos i do have are copy right to an other person , I do not have his details as he moved house recently , I am still waiting an e mail from him as he had to set up a new server as well . As soon as he gets in touch I will let you know his answer cheers ian
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hey Guys-
couple of things.

MSRP- I understand that MSRP will be $58 US Dollars. I may be wrong and I would appreciate being corrected if anyone knows differently.

Second- Ian IF you can get approval to use the photos there will be a decent size market for the correct air cleaner in resin. Just a thought

Steve
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
I would just leave the twin Cylone VT aircleaners off, and go with the single central one. Problem easily solved.
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 09:21 PM UTC
Hi it is not as easy as just leave the twin air filters off, as the rear engine plate is different in several details . I am still waiting for his e mail so I will let you know as and when cheers ian
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC
No cause for alarm...stop the presses!

The correct parts for both styles of intake manifold ( for the respective single or twin air cleaner variation) are indeed included in the kit! There is, however, no mention of this option called-out in the instructions. One is expected to use parts A54 (intake manifold) for the single air-cleaner, OR parts A52/53 (which are never shown in the instructions) for the twin VT1 air-cleaners.

I think the "Mythical Weapon" aka, T-34 bible, should be included with the kit. I also think I should open the window while working with CA cement and lacquer aerosols.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would just leave the twin Cylone VT aircleaners off, and go with the single central one. Problem easily solved.

As Ian mentions, it isn't quite as easy as that. You would have to replace the engine/transmission firewall (easy enough using the kit part as a guide). But tanks with this earlier feature would also use the four speed transmission rather than the five speed the kit comes with. Cyclone (Tsyklon) air filters were introduced early in 1943 and the five speed transmission appeared mid-year though when they actually began being used at Sormovo specifically is anybody's guess.
To me it appears the kit represents a mid to late '43 production tank (of a type I believe were built into the beginning of 1944) which "suggests" the use of the Pomon filter would be less likely (though Factory 112 continued to produce T-34's with a number of archaic features so I wouldn't say anything is impossible).
However, given the kit's later type exterior details it seems the best bet accuracy wise is to build it with the Cyclone air-filters.

A word of caution on "Mythical Weapon": though generally a fine reference ( I personally like it though it has been panned by many knowledgeable reviewers) it contains many false or otherwise inaccurate statements. Its drawings for the better part suffer from one level or another of inaccuracy and some of the production dates appear to be little more than guesswork. Take what you read in it with a grain of salt.

Mark

ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:33 PM UTC

Both styles (either single(BOTTOM) or twin air-filter(TOP)) intake manifolds are provided.
Following are some photos showing the twin air-filter configuration:

ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 03:26 PM UTC
The above pic clearly shows the twin air-cleaners connected to the intake manifolds. Also, note the fuel injection lines.
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC

Here's the engine bay, complete with twin (VT1) air-cleaners and exhaust pipes. You can just see the batteries.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC
Ted,
How far were you thinking of taking this in terms of detail and are you thinking of painting the hull or leaving clear to show off the interior?

Mark
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 04:35 PM UTC
I'll suggest some detail enhancements along the way, but build this out-of-box. As for painting, I think I'll use the airbrush to leave a transparent quality to the clear exterior.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 02:29 PM UTC
Very good.
The reason I ask is that if one were to leave the hull unpainted there would be a lot of extra work to do because you don't get (among other things) the backsides of the fuel cells which would need to be scratch built.

What are your thoughts on the clear parts?

Mark
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 07:53 PM UTC
I would suggest some "selective" painting -covering those areas which have no backside. Even if you painted 90 percent of the rear hull opaque, the engine hatches are still separate. The quality of the clear parts is very good.
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi Ted send a provate e mail to me at [email protected] and title it T 34 air filter , I will be able to send you the photo , On the understanding this is not for publication just research only . cheers ian
ted_hayward
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 05:26 PM UTC
Thanks, Ian!
 _GOTOTOP