Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What If
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hay all and we are go for the what if campaign can't wait to see what you lot come up with.

Scott, I just primed an E100 yesterday, though the kit has been built awhile back. Can it still qualify? Thanks. Tat

Hay Tat yep that will still qualify looking forward to some pic's

Hay Paul the base kit is afv club Aussie cent i had in the stash waiting for me to do something with it.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
Thanks Scott! -- will sign up then, and upload some pics. Cheers -- Tat
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi gents, a quick question since the rules don't expressly say one way or the other. Would a ship fit into this campaign? I have the German battleship Gneisenau that I have been itching to upgun and mod a bit.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Scott! -- will sign up then, and upload some pics. Cheers -- Tat

Have enlisted the Trumpeter E100. Left out the IR gear and will just build it as OOB. Plan to paint it as Olivgrun+Dunkelgelb. Have added some weld spots on the track hangers and started to prime. Some progress pics. Cheers

Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hey all,

looking good tat, I'd love to see your maus turret work. i found a pic of a "knocked out" maus but it is in doubt that it was destroyed by anti tank weapons, most likely destroyed by its crew but still a unique shot of the turret resting on the destroyed vehicle

Its offical im going to call it GrenadierSturmwagen, or GreSt for short as the other name implied it was for assualt infantry only. this is my WIP GreSt ausf B at the outskirts of Dresden's farming fields.

I will post more later, none of the interior is complete the paint is only to help distinguish the diffrent parts of the vehicle.
still to go are:
Drivers controls + vison block
Rear AA mg42 mount
Flak 38 controls and caseing* pouch (* Im sure thats spelt wrong but "vista Word" begs to differ)
driver (almost complete will post with new pics)

Cheers,
Mat
Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:13 AM UTC
heres a cool build of a E100 i found
its in french i think
http://maquette-garden.forumactif.com/seconde-guerre-mondiale-f9/e-100-t10473.htm
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
Here I was enjoying my E100 build ..
Wheels painted, weathered.
Assembly of the hull, painted too, equipment, etc...
When I was working on the camo paint job on the hull, I masked it with some Maskol and BlueTak
and almost all the paint and primer coats came out ... I was really mad !!!

Didn't gave up, at 4 am when I should be sleeping I tried to undo-it... some removed all the maskol, washed it up and painted it again , hope that it will work out..
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Some nice work thus far. I'll be hammering away on this along with this excellent figure from S&T to command my beast. Need to get some others moved off of the bench fiirst though. Thanks, "Q"

SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
Forward motion:

Parts cut

framed

Basic hull shape starting to come together- Left Side

Underside

Rear view

Top view

Inspiration pic -

Remember the pic is my inspiration- I am not making the vehicle shown but using some ideas from it.

Appreciate any pointers or feedback- Steve
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Lookin' good Steve. What book is that picture from? Looks interesting. "Q"
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hey, first post on the site after lurking for many months and this campaign really caught my attention.

Here is an idea I have been toying around with for a while, there was plans to upgrade the Pz IV with sloped armour, so why not the tiger I thought. After 10 mins playing in photoshop I had come up with this...

Will be based upon the Dragon Late Tiger kit, had one half built in a cupboard after a failed zimmerit attempt put me off completing the kit.

Let me know what you think of the idea, and any improvements/changes that could be made.

Thanks

- Dan
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hey gang, here are the painted and weathered pics. Seeing that Centurion makes me want to get cracking on my SPAAG version. Our second daughter is due to be born in 3 weeks, so I am not sure if I'll be getting much modelling done over the next 18 years :-)

SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
Matt-
sorry man- I do not know the exact source of the shot- I found it online after searching for, "Future Armored Vehicle", "What-If" and many combination's thereof. I was looking through gaming forums, MaK forums etc. I believe it was from a Japanese language Hobby Magazine that was approx. 20 years old. The photo was saved directly from online as is.

Dan-
I like your drawing and I'd really like to see it in 3D. Looks very plausible.

Greame-
that is Fantastic! The soot from the exhaust, the mud, the markings...WOW! Oh yeah- and the second child isn't all that bad...my second one is 14 and I am pretty much back to modeling at pre-parenthood levels.

Great stuff all!

DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thanks Steve, the next step is a quick 3D mockup on the computer in 3ds Max, check to see if it will actually work out, then move onto plastic (Finally found a use for my skills as a Graphic Designer in this hobby )

and Graeme, amazing work! I think i've turned a slight shade of envious green after seeing that haha

- Dan
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 06:12 AM UTC
Great start there steve looking forward to seeing more
That tiger will be pritty cool dan cant wait to see your 3d mock up

your bobcat looks graet greame nice work.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi gents, a quick question since the rules don't expressly say one way or the other. Would a ship fit into this campaign? I have the German battleship Gneisenau that I have been itching to upgun and mod a bit.

I don't see why not as long as no one has any objections? do you want to ask if anyone else over on shipwrights wants to join in????
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 04:16 PM UTC
Thanks Scott and Dan-

As I am cruising along I am starting to think the 1/35th scale LAV wheels (even widened/modified) are too small...

I Need something LARGER! I am thinking MAZ wheels from the SCUD kit or the Tank Transporter kit as a starting point. i have something in mind for the LAV wheels so they will not be wasted.

Steve
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:20 PM UTC
Steve - Can't wait to see what you come up with, looks like an interesting project

Here is the result of half hours work in 3DS Max - decided on a new turret design, something between and king tiger and a panther schmalturm, hopefully it looks alright

Front sloped hull has already been scratched from plastic and fits well on the model, the turret is my main challenge of the day, and attempting to make a suitable mantlet.. hmm
anyone have any ideas how to scratch a shape like that?

Thanks

- Dan
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
Dan, that looks awesome and only 30 minutes of work to boot! Give me some time to think about creating the turret. Like you said, it looks like a Henschel KT turret and the Panther "F" turret. Maybe pair down the KT or beef up the Panther turret respectively... Let me mull this one over a bit and see if I can come up with something. I like the look of it though. Definitely Waffen 46'. "Q"
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 09:26 AM UTC
Dan-
you can make that!!!!

Do you have access to: an electric drill, a file, some epoxy putty, a sanding stick and some way of drawing circles?

Just so we are talking about the same items;

(FYI-----I have just demonstrated the limit of my CAD skills). MS Paint is the outer limit for me.

I would look at this as two separate parts- because each has to be made using a different technique.

Mantlet 1- just chuck a bit of plastic rod into a drill and shape it with a file as the drill turns. It is symmetrical so you can turn that as you would in a lathe.

Mantlet 2 is tougher- but not tough:

Mantlet 2 is asymmetrical- but you can easily make it by hand,

Take another chunk of the plastic rod and glue it to a circle of styrene- off center. Then you can build the open space up using epoxy putty and sand it to shape using the rod and disc of styrene as sanding guides.

Then glue the two bits together - texture them up using Mr. Surfacer.

As an alternative to epoxy putty - you could also stack up progressively smaller styrene disks.

Steve
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC
I can't believe it didn't occur to me to split it up like that haha, thats a fantastic idea, thanks a lot steve!

I do have access to all those itens, although the drill I may have to liberate from my dads tool box, and for the tougher mantlet i think ill go with the putty route, might give me a little more control over it for longer.

The sloped armour on the hull is done and glued, and I have just finished the turret shape a few minutes ago, sitting there drying now, if my cameras charged i'll snap a few pictures soon and post them, see what you guys think.

And once again Steve, thankyou, saved me a lot of head scratching

- Dan
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
Steve beat me to the punch. Putty would be the easier route and would allow for adding the texturing to it from the get go. Looking forward to seeing this one. Nice call Steve. "Q"
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 12:15 PM UTC
Finally got around to taking some pictures of the build!

Without much further ado....

And the newly constructed turret....

I just have one issue with the turret, which way round i prefer it in that image it's the same as in my 3d mockups, with the small front plate, getting wider as it goes back, kinda like an angular teardrop with the point facing forwards, however whilst playing around with it, I quite like it the other way around, fat end first, looks more tiger-like and more "German" i suppose....also from a practical point of view, it gives the front hatches larger clearance and more of an over-hang over the engine deck... hmmmmm

Let me know any ideas/tips you have for this build

- Dan

SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
Dan-
can you take a pic of the turret turned around the opposite way?

As for ideas- what do you think of stereoscopic range finder bulges on the sides of the turret ?

I am also thinking of late war Russian armor features- since the Germans did adopt some Russian features that they liked. Ever seen the ball MG mount on the back of a JS II? How about the German version of that? You have to go with that low profile cupola like in your first drawing.

Oh yeah- and when you get that mantlet whipped into shape- glue some casting numbers on-

I'll be interested to see what you come up with

Steve
Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Dan,
i believe a panther cupola would befit the the top of your advanced Tiger turret well,
as it has the height you want and looks the part.

Before you decide on the front of the turret test fit a peice of tubing to a end with blutack and face that to the front then try the other side. my suggestion would be the smaller side, smaller target provides better protection for head on attacks

good luck and cant wait to see more of everyones creations
Mat