Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What If
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 09:51 PM UTC
Steve - Sure, i'll take a picture later and post it, off down to the beach today, making the best of an english heatwave haha

Ah yes, the rangefinder is a good idea, and the Rear machine gun could work nicely, I have the Tamiya JS2 in early stages of painting on my bench, the large turret size would make it more plausible too, more room for the machine gun and ammo I suppose.

And I have an old King Tiger cupola knocking around here, minus the actual hatch part, but I'll come up with something to sort that out

With regards to the mantlet, I was wondering, would you suggest building the rough shape with putty, then sand file etc, then put another thin layer on top of that for texturing? Seems like a better idea than trying to texture a large lump of uncured putty.

Mathew - I have a Jagdtiger barrel that I think I will use for the main gun, I'll take pictures later, I cant really decide which way to go.

Thanks guys

- Dan
TheDiggs
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi gents, a quick question since the rules don't expressly say one way or the other. Would a ship fit into this campaign? I have the German battleship Gneisenau that I have been itching to upgun and mod a bit.

I don't see why not as long as no one has any objections? do you want to ask if anyone else over on shipwrights wants to join in????

Sweet, I'll post an invite over at MSW. I don't see a sign up button on the campaign site, am I overlooking it?
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
I think I shall enter this one - the idea popped into my head this morning to do an Italian Panzer II. Will problt be just a simple repaint with a figure in the hatch, unless someone can suggest a suitably Italian modification....
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
This is really great to see Dan! Actually, I love it!
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I shall enter this one - the idea popped into my head this morning to do an Italian Panzer II. Will problt be just a simple repaint with a figure in the hatch, unless someone can suggest a suitably Italian modification....

Good to have you on board neil could be an interesting build.

Dan that tiger is looking fantastic and and looks like you are building it pretty quick too.

I need to get some more work done on my cent but am really lacking the motivation right now as we have had gorgeous weather and the urge to ride my bike is to strong.
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Jeff - Thanks It's a wonder what can happen with an old unfinished kit, a day off, and a few ideas can become!

Scott - Yeah it's going together nicely, finished my first year of Uni a month ago and managed to get a week off work, so I'm putting it to good use. I reckon I can make a start on the Mantlet tonight, nice to have a relax after a day out by the sea haha

But once again guys, thanks for all the help I've received within the first few days of me posting, you're all what makes this site great

- Dan
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve- With regards to the mantlet, I was wondering, would you suggest building the rough shape with putty, then sand file etc, then put another thin layer on top of that for texturing? Seems like a better idea than trying to texture a large lump of uncured putty.
- Dan

Dan- if it were me (I'd ask someone smarter!) I would make the basic shape with several styrene discs and superglue them together. That way no need to wait for the putty to dry and I could get right to shaping it- but either way, eventually you are going to need to texture it. When you arrive at something you are happy with put on a thin layer and texture that. There is no wrong way to do it.

The more objects you make the more tricks you'll come up with. I can tell by the nice job you did grafting that new glacis on the Tiger hull that you know what you are doing.

I'll post some pics later tonight- I made a little progress myself.

Steve
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 10:55 AM UTC
Steve - That sounds like a much better idea to me, I'll make a start on that now thanks!

Yeah basic things like that I don't tend to have a problem with, growing up playing warhammer and the like taught me a lot of scratchbuilding, but some of the more complex things still pose challenges

Ahh fantastic, I can't wait to see your progress, looks like a very interesting build!

- Dan
armagh5
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
whatif enlarged Dingo
I call it a mk 10 cause the wheelbase is 10 feet long
i havnt done anything to it in a few weeks
ill do the mudgards next
ive used the leftover bits of the front hull of a tamiya dingo and used resin copy tamiya fat wheels
im pleased with it so far
this whatif campaign is going to be good
ive quit a few unfinished sitting on the shelve
nows the time to clear them all up
well as many as i can anyway
i have a year
this will be the first post of many
is it ok i put for me to but more than 4 or 5 builds on this campaign
as i do mostly whatifs
all comments are welcome
regards andrew

armagh5
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:46 PM UTC
for Dan Slys build
looks great to me
turret is just right
regards andrew
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
Guys-
Here is what I got done over the last couple of days.

These are masters. I made a mold and I am casting copies- as I type actually. On the left a stand off armor plate like a schurtzen panel. In the middle two different types of Reactive Armor blocks. On the right a Periscope. The picture is dark but it was the best of the ones I took.

Matt Q. -I found another of my inspiration pictures. The picture is labeled Hobby Japan 1988- which is probably the source.

Again - I am not bulding a copy - but it is my strongest inspiration right now.

Here is another neat wheeled vehicle I found:

Andrew Fantastic Dingo Mk10! This Campaign wouldn't be complete without you. Big fan of your projects!

Thats it for me- Steve
Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 01:47 PM UTC
Neil: the first thing you need to do is install a gearbox with 15 reverse gears and 1 forward one. but seriously, a common aerial recognistion Italian flag on the engine deck is all I can suggest the rest is up to your imagination.

Steve: if those maz wheels seem wrong again you could dable with car kits.... the scale is larger but the wheels could be the right size your after.

Andrew: your dingo looks great, an allied comback to the mass of post WW2, modern and axis equipment posted so far.

cheers
Mat
armagh5
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
hi mat
all my whatifs except 2 are british
the stuff on this post is just great
its all right up my street
ive generally always been on my own doing whatifs
its nice to9 be part of this campaign
regards andrew
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
Matt- what do you think of the wheels on that 6 wheeled vehicle (above)?

That wouldn't be as hard to scratch build as a regular tire... It is basically a piece of tubing, a detailed hub and a repeating tread pattern....hmmmmmm.....

I like it-
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys-
Here is what I got done over the last couple of days.

These are masters. I made a mold and I am casting copies- as I type actually. On the left a stand off armor plate like a schurtzen panel. In the middle two different types of Reactive Armor blocks. On the right a Periscope. The picture is dark but it was the best of the ones I took.

Matt Q. -I found another of my inspiration pictures. The picture is labeled Hobby Japan 1988- which is probably the source.

Again - I am not bulding a copy - but it is my strongest inspiration right now.

Here is another neat wheeled vehicle I found:

Andrew Fantastic Dingo Mk10! This Campaign wouldn't be complete without you. Big fan of your projects!

Thats it for me- Steve

Nice work steve amd andrew there looking good.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
An update on my Panther-thingy-ma-widget. This thing has taken more work than I thought it would. The figure had to be tweaked as well. While the box art on it looks great the casting is anything but. Replaced both hands, the head and the entire left arm, which I will need to rescuplt to match the U-boat leather jacket it is attached to. I was hoping this is what I would get in the box....

Sadly, it wasn't.
The Frui tracks are complete, but I want to weather them a bit more once they are attached. I decided to add a coat of really hastily applied zimmerit and the effect is just what I was looking for. I used Bondo Brand, Spot Glaze and the Verlinden PE zim tool to get the pattern. Still lots more to do, but its coming together. Thanks, "Q"

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Just got a look at that Super-Dingo. Too cool Nicely done. "Q"
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
That thing is a monster good work.

Any idea why this campaign thread is not pined like the rest of the campaign threads?
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Some more progress on my Panther conversion. Got the fenders with the skirt hangers on and primered. Just wating for it to dry a bit. Also did a test fit of the Eduard PE skirts and they all went on without any problems. These will get dinged up a bit before they get installed. Might leave a couple off to give it some character. Rescuplted the figure last night, but for reason the putty didn't fully cure. Think I might have gotten my mixing ratio off a bit which caused it. I'll let it set for a few days and see if that helps any. Keeping my fingers crossed. I was able to get the pose down just how I wanted, and it really adds to the look of the piece when its positioned right. The IR scope helped busy the cupoa area up a bit too. I plan on building a dio with this and found this figure that will work well with the concept I have. It is a Michael Roberts figure, and is superb in every way. Took me all of 5 minutes to get it cleaned up, and tacked together to check the pose etc. Includes two differnt left arms to vary the pose a bit. Very well done and highly recommended.

Will be adding some additional figures too, but need to source them first. More to follow as I make progress, thanks. "Q"

armagh5
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
mathew
i like the shape of this
its coming on realy well
the texture is great
regards andrew
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 01:11 PM UTC
Thanks Andrew. I got the camo applied over the last hour or so. Now its time to set back and enjoy a cold one or twelve. Will wait until tomorrow to gloss coat it in preparation for washes/decals etc. Thanks, "Q"
armagh5
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
cammo pattern is neat and not over done
looks well
regards andrew
armagh5
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC
heres another unfinished project
it been sitting on the shelf for months i started it about a few years ago
the hulls based on a lengthened cromwell hull
all the resin bits are my own copies fron various kits
the turret is made from car body filler and the barrel is an su 100 acting as a fictional 4 inch
british at gun
ive added extra armour on the front
ill do some more on it this weekend along with the enlarged dingo
regards andrew

SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
Matt- paint looks awesome! You had a great day by the look of it. Nice, nice job!

Andrew- Wow! This campaign was made for your projects man.

Keep posting stuff guys- makes checking this thread every few hours worthwhile.

Steve
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 03:02 PM UTC
Andrew, thanks for the kudos, much appreciated. That tweaked Cromwell looks killer! Nice job. Steve, thanks for the kudos too. I did have a good day with it today. Got my household chores knocked out before it got too aweful hot, then moved indoors to work on my plastic. Yep, a good day. Thanks again, "Q"