Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
All Hail the Abrams!
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I have a pretty silly noob question regarding tracks: what is the proper color to paint the track links for an in-theatre OIF tank? I have a friend who was an Abrams crewman "between the wars" who said he recalls the links on INCONUS tanks being pretty much rust colored, but looking at OIF reference pics the links look to be a darker color to me ( under the dusty weathering of course ) , and I have seen where other modelers have mentioned using black, steel, and even olive drab. just wondering what is the best choice, and also if it really matters once it's covered in MIG Pigments Gulf War Sand anyway, LOL

what I did with my model was just tamiya's flat black, mask the rubber parts, then DOA track color (or your favorite track color). after that. some DB of vallejo rubber.
hopes this helps
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok, I have a pretty silly noob question regarding tracks: what is the proper color to paint the track links for an in-theatre OIF tank? I have a friend who was an Abrams crewman "between the wars" who said he recalls the links on INCONUS tanks being pretty much rust colored, but looking at OIF reference pics the links look to be a darker color to me ( under the dusty weathering of course ) , and I have seen where other modelers have mentioned using black, steel, and even olive drab. just wondering what is the best choice, and also if it really matters once it's covered in MIG Pigments Gulf War Sand anyway, LOL

what I did with my model was just tamiya's flat black, mask the rubber parts, then DOA track color (or your favorite track color). after that. some DB of vallejo rubber.
hopes this helps

I'm on target and tracking with the flat black base and the rubber on the pads, but being new to modern armor I'm not sure what my favorite track color SHOULD be, LOL....
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Well, I think you can paint it overall blak, add DB of steel and some rust here and there on the metal parts, then DB some rubber.

Cheers
Mechforce
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
a little advanced...

U.S. M1A2 ABRAMS Main Battle Tank MBT
194th Brigade, Task Force 1-70, National Training Center

seeya soon!
Citizinsane
KitMaker: 463 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hey all,
I'm a little late on this, but here's my entry:

a USMC M1A1HC of RCT1 somewhere near Nasiriyah in OIF 1

I's a kitbashing project utilizing a Dragon M1 Panther hull and an old Dragon M1A1 Turret. The USMC specific parts were scratch build using tamiya parts as a base.
I've also got a thread on this topic over in the Armor/Afv forums with some more pics.

Hope you'll like it

Cheers Max
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC
Here is what I started with. The plan was to build a basic M1 in service just prior to 1991. This one has the 105mm gun and some "field upgrades" like a bussle rack. It still has the overall green paint that was used just prior to the NATO Camo.

Then I started construction.

Final product.

Finished.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 09:07 PM UTC
Great build, Jerry! Nice to see one of the "young" Abrams.

Thanks for sharing
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 08:48 AM UTC
Almost done with my build. Need accessories, fire arms and tracks and then paint. Sorry for the blurriness, cell phones do not always take the best picture.

warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 - 01:31 PM UTC
Thanks Jesper, I've got another early one in the works. Time frame around 1983, done in MERDEC 4 color camo. I'll post some pictures When it's a little further along

Jerry
Blueheeler
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi all! This is my entry, an Academy M1A1. The kit went together fairly well until I got to the dreaded decals; half of them fell to pieces. Go easy on me, its my first modern MBT

Cheers,
Nick.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 05:52 AM UTC
Finally got started on the "Decoy, Infrared, Mobile" aka M1 Abrahams. Base kit is the Italerie M1A1 with some Eduard parts. Not yet sure how to display the final tank. The initial idea was "M1 in swamp" but the model has open sponsoons so this might not work.

mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 03:07 AM UTC
Question:

The Italeri-Kit has two very large "boxes" included that one builds from multiple parts. One is obviously the bustle rack APU. The second (marked as "optional") goes on the rear hull to the right of the engine exhaust panels where the taillight would be with the taillight relocated to the box. I have found two pictures of an M1 fitted with the box but neither shows the turret bustle. So

a) WHAT is that box?
b) Are this box and the Bustle-Rack APU both fitted or is it "choose one"?

Thanks,

Michael
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 06:22 AM UTC
MBR,

The box that mounts on the hull to the right of the engine grills is the original Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) which was used briefly just prior to and during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. The APU brovided power to run the Abrams electrical and hydraulics systems while keeping the main engine gas-turbine off to conserve fuel. Image from GlobalSecurity (bit incorrectly marked as a M1A2 Abrams).

The Hull APU was replaced about 1993 or so (not sure of the actual date, others can correct this) by the Bustle Rack mounted External Auxiliary Power Unit (EAPU), which is still in service. This example is actually an EAPU without the Standard NATO Power Connector usally located to the left of the two screened openings (all the following pictures from PrimePortal):

This is an EAPU with the Nato Connector:

The M1A2 SEP has in its bustle rack a Vapor Compression System Unit (VCSU), which is an air conditioner for cooling the newer electronics.

Some of the M1A2 SEPs have a hull mounted Under Armor Auxilliary Power Unit (UAAPU) while others have Hawker Batteries, either of which are inside the hull over the left track and to the left of the engine compartment where a fuel cell was located. There may even be a few without either. This picture shows the rear portion of the space in the hull with the cover removed:

These pictures show the UAAPU in a M1A2 SEP, indicated by the 4-bolt plate on the side of the hull and the black colored vent/exhaust plate on the rear hull between the left tail light and the engine grates:

This image I believe shows an M1A2 SEP with the Hawker batteries instead (no 4-bolt plate):

I hope this helps, and if I have any of this incorrect, I apologize and will gladly accept correction by others...
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
Great pics, Jeff, great pics - thanks for uploading.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thanks a lot, that solves my question perfectly. And the pictures give some ideas for the provided EAPU (that lacks the NATO connector)
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
I have a question. I am building an Academy M1A1 Abrams "Iraq 2003" kit. It comes with decals for the green box corners for the front of the turrent and they also with the Iraq 2003 added sticker of the decal. Any idea why? Which should I use?

Thanks,
Tony
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC
Finished!

Here is my 1/35 Tamiya M1A2 Iraqi Freedom tank. I have read it has some inaccuracies, but hey, it looks like an Abrams and was a relatively pain-free build. COmpletely OOB.

Great work going by the piccies here. One day I will build a tank and put all the stowage stuff onboard.
littlebear573
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
hey guys have been rather busy so haven't posted before. but the abrams is coming along well. was disappointed by the kit, I bought an italeria 1/35 kit with resin parts but ended up not using them. but its painted and weathered and just applying the stowage tonight so should have pic up tomorrow night
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi,
i know there's only a few weeks left. due to MANY weekend training weekends i'm "a little" behind with my abrams. if i get it painted but not have the stowage in place can i still call it complete?
Citizinsane
KitMaker: 463 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC
I'm done, here are the pics:

For more Info/Pictures check out these threads:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/160476&page=1
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/155097&page=1

looking forward to seeing all your builds finished!

Cheers, Max
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC
And finally some more progress:

This is the Italerie M1A1 kit:

+ Fit is quite good, detailes are nice

+ I absolutely HATE link and length tracks.

+ The track guards are a nightmare to fit

Some weathering etc. is still missing. Not sure where/how to fit the tank to a diorama.

sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
Here is my finished entry for the campaign. No during pictures sorry. I now have my own memory card for the camera. So all further campaigns I will be able to not worry about the memory card. It is an old Dragon kit, no photo-etched just basic kit. I am working thru my stash.

All comments are welcomed. I'll post a picture in the campaign gallery also.
Tom
Mechforce
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 06:52 AM UTC
Finished!

1/72 U.S. M1A2 ABRAMS Main Battle Tank MBT
194th Brigade, Task Force 1-70, National Training Center

A nice campaign thanks :] all models looks awesome!
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Here is a picture of my completed M1A1 Abrams Academy 2003 Iraq kit. For some reason my cell phone either makes the kit yellow or washes it out. I will try again this evening. I hope I can get a better picture as I liked the paint job I did.

Tony
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 02:56 AM UTC
Here is a little better picture, still could be better. Need a better camera on my phone.