_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Potential Feature: German for Modellers
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Blame Krauss-Maffei Wegmann. The Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer Gepard (Cheetah) was developed by KMW, starting in 1963. That's the actual name of the system.

I should have been more specific. Dragon is to blame for recently (and erroneously) putting the Gepard name on the Flakpanzer 38t of WW II. Italeri and Tristar blindly followed suit.

It's known as the Lemming Syndrome.
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brummbär is translated Grizzly bear, not growling bear.

There aren't any Grizzlies in Europe and therefor the Germans never actually named this bear, it is simply referred to as a Grizzlybär here. The closest relative of it we have living here is the Braunbär. The term Brummbär is something that is not used to referr to a specific kind of bear but to any bear or even a person making the typical growling/grumbling/whining noise that everybody knows. If someone is a grumbler, a person who complains and mutters or grumbles you could call them a Brummbär.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Brummbär is translated Grizzly bear, not growling bear.

There aren't any Grizzlies in Europe and therefor the Germans never actually named this bear, it is simply referred to as a Grizzlybär here. The closest relative of it we have living here is the Braunbär. The term Brummbär is something that is not used to referr to a specific kind of bear but to any bear or even a person making the typical growling/grumbling/whining noise that everybody knows. If someone is a grumbler, a person who complains and mutters or grumbles you could call them a Brummbär.

The start of your reply is a bit weird, since that would imply only indiginous animals are named.

There's no Great White Sharks around here, but we call them Witte Haai and we also don't have cougars in the Netherlands, yet we call them poema's.

Anyway, I really thought Brummbär was German for Grizzly bear. Learned something again
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 10:06 PM UTC
Geez, that was all very confusing. I long for the simple days of commando comics where the only german you needed to know was "actung, englander", "amerikana schweinhund" and "raus, schnell dumkopf".

I also think at some point someone brought up Peter Sellers and implied that the French word for Monkey is not in fact "minky".
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Geez, that was all very confusing. I long for the simple days of commando comics where the only german you needed to know was "actung, englander", "amerikana schweinhund" and "raus, schnell dumkopf".

I also think at some point someone brought up Peter Sellers and implied that the French word for Monkey is not in fact "minky".

That was me. I suppose next you'll be telling me that the French word for "bomb" isn't "bim" (enunciated with pursed lips like trying to speak after eating a lemon or rancid quiche).
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
If you want a great reference on pronunciation, take the time to check out "The Big Lift", starring Montgomery Clift and Paul Douglas. It's about the Berlin Airlift, filmed in post-war Berlin (1949) and actual U.S. military personnel are used in the film, along with German nationals. There's a great scene where Paul Douglas recognizes a former guard from the Luftstalag in which he was interned.

The German used to torture Paul by making him learn German using difficult tongue twisters. If he pronounced it incorrectly, the guard beat him severely. Now the shoe was on the other foot. he gave the guard English lessons. He told the guard to say, "Which way does the whipperwill warrble?"

Paul tells him, "See, you krauts (no offense, it's part of the dialogue) have a habit of pronouncing your doubleyoos like vees. So, ya better not make that mistake cause I'll correct ya the same as ya did me, got it?"

Needless to say, Hans the guard didn't pass the class.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was me. I suppose next you'll be telling me that the French word for "bomb" isn't "bim" (enunciated with pursed lips like trying to speak after eating a lemon or rancid quiche).

Of course it is, as used in this french sentence "deed anywarn ordeur a bim ?". And the french for room is "rloom" with a rolled "l".
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
You guys should try learning Chinese if you want challenges....
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You guys should try learning Chinese if you want challenges....

I've enough problems with English. Why would I want to compound my problems?
 _GOTOTOP