Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ersatz Nachtjäger VI ausf B
John_O
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 569 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 10:31 PM UTC
Glad to see you back on this one Spit. Hope all is well!

J
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi John, I'm doing fine. Just not enough time to do everything I need/ would like to.

spit
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
Well well, this is a bit of a change!

Your painting skills are really on display here, your octopus camo looks great.

However..... My earlier comments still stand. I liked the night fighter aspect (red oxide not a good night camouflage!) which you began the build with.

However (2).... I know you have decided to go a different way with this build and so I won't go on about it. This is a great looking scheme and I look forward to seeing you put it through your excellent weathering process!

Cheers,

James
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
ok let see if anyone still watches this S-F movie

ok oil dots phase (4 oils colours and White Spirit), I'm not really convinced about those dots.. it's not the method but I think the painter's fault

streaks n°1 done with the AK Interactive "Winter Grime"

more streaks streaks (Mig Dark Wash and Winter Grime) + rain marks with AK's Dust Effects and Earth Effects (mixed)

Nest step road wheels, tracks and side skirts

Any comments welcomed

spit
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:15 PM UTC
Looks heaps better with weathering done, beginning to like it more (Jellyfish moment ) I'm not to sure about the colour of the cleaning rod canister and left muffler? are they supposed to be scavenged off another tank?

Been watching this Si-fi from the beginning, liking what I'm seeing otherwise I'd have switched off!
GewoonWouter
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC
I was wondering when this one was going to be continued.

The streaking stuff really adds a nice effect to the camo

I thinkg this will become another spit KT beauty ^^

Cheers
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 06:01 PM UTC
Lovely work mate,

That weathering is really looking the ticket. It seems to have really given depth to the colours you have used which look great.

You really are king of weathering these big cats!

James
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Pawel,

That's an interesting camouflage concept! I think it looks good. Keep it coming. The paint fading archived via the dot method is excellent!

-Eddy
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC
Thank you all guys for your answers.

Duncan,

glad you start to like it Yeah the mufflers and the storage bin would come from a panther. I'm still nt sure about the final look of it. I'm not too good with the rust so maybe I'll just repaint in olive green

Wouter,

Thanks man. I really can't say I dislike the Tiger B I''m glad you like my kitties. I wait for the update of the "11".

James,

Too kind, too kind my friend. You already know the secret of mine: less is more... euhhh no, more is more and not even enough Great you came by. And now... you get back to modelling Mister!!

Eddy,

Thanks for watching. I'm not really convinced about this oil dot method by me... nice to know it doesn't look so bad.
And yes.. the camouflage...anyway like Duncan said it better than the first version of the Panther of mine

It wasn't so bad hein

just for fun:

thank you all

spit
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:08 AM UTC
the work continues, and I start to see the end of it.

Mainly what has been done:

Road wheels and tracks have been put on, mud splashes in two phases light than darker using AK products (dust effects for the first layer and earth effects for the 2nd). Oily and wet stains (using Mig products for stains, wet effects and white spirit on the edges to soften them).

pics with the 2 nd phase of splashes

thanks for watching

spit

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC
I am not used to seeing that odd camo applied over primer. It actually works out pretty nicely and sort of makes sense for the time period being considered.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
Very nice work! How did you create the wet spots around the open turret ring? I love that effect but never get it right. The mud splashes are excellent too. Will you add any to the road wheels?
GewoonWouter
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
I like those mud effects a lot on this baby, Spit!

I think I'll give your tech a try on my NachtPanther, it looks very convincing for sure ^^

Cheers
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi,

Jeremy,

thanks, I agree the "Octopus" kind camouflages are not so popular

I was quite happy when I had this idea. I hope the final result will be good.

Bill,

thanks a lot. If I remember well I used the Mig Productions stains mixture well diluted with WS. After application I added some small quantity of white spirit on the edges. I saw this technique in the Mig's DVD "Washes". It's true It worked well this time but I'm not sure I would succeed each time. The stains on the engine deck are not so good. I added used too big quantity of liquids and flooded the whole area...

About the splashes on the wheels. I don't think I'll do this that time? They're already looking quite heavy. Instead I'll add some more darker areas like oil stains etc.

Wouter,

thanks man. I would love to see your Nacht Panther (it was a jagdpanther wasn't it?) on the bench. I remember you posting it. Great work VERY clean.

Another update soon

spit
GewoonWouter
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hi Pawel,

thanks for that bud, the NachtPanther is a JP indeed, won me two times gold in the cat. Naked Kit so far . Will be on the bench soon, I had some issues with putting on the primer coat but most stuff has been taken care of. Inspired by your late octo KT she will receive the green/yellow octopus camo and primerred roof...I'll keep ya updated soon hopefully
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi,

This is more or less how it will look like. I just wonder if the sides of the turret are not too clean comparing to the hull. I may have an idea but I would like to know what you think.

in the meanwhile I've also started working on a (simple) base, a ploughed field

ceramics cement glue for now

spit
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 10:59 PM UTC
Very nice work Spit, and now I could become a Politician because I like the (mark 3) paint-job on it now ... I particularly like the AA Armour on the turret roof, it gives the KT a sort-of modern MBT look!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Wow, this is great. I wouldn't dirty the turret anymore as it gives good contrast without being out of place. I agree with the earlier comment that it wouldn't be the first paint color choice for a night-fighter, but they didn't have many choices left at the end of the war. Anyways, love your weathering choices and the battle damage.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 12:10 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

Duncan, so be it: you WILL burn in hell . One day I'll do another try with the firs type of camouflage. I'm glad you like the turret armor. A kind of personal idea which did work out.

Greg,

thanks for the feedback. I'll give the turret a second thought.

spit
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 12:18 PM UTC
Pawel,

Despite the deviations in thinking during this project you have created another masterpeice. Your painting and weathering skills are really brilliant and are great to see at this stage of the project.

I love all the little personal touches this build has too.

One thing, while I like the contrasting colour of the panther stowage bin and exhausts, I'm not convinced about the finish, are they supposed to be olivgrun with rust or with camouflage (rotbraun?) If it's rust I would recommend getting some nice rusty pigments on there!

As for the turret I don't think it looks out of place in the photos, I kniw your instinct is to weather everything though!

Nice work mate,

James
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:14 PM UTC
Thanks James,

Thank you for the big credit man.

I'll take a look on this stowage bin. I'll take a better picture of the exhausts but they look better. In fact on the pictures before you can see them with olivegrun and rusty splashes (MM paint). Than I toned that down with a greenish pigment... maybe too much. I'l check it.

Here's the step 2 for the base

1 white glue + sand + natural amber pigment
2 drying
3 dry pigments russian earth, dark mud, rubbel dust track brown.....
4 I sprayed klir in the recesses in order to imitate the wetter, more humid ground

after all I'll have to rework the tracks so they match the ground....

My experience in ground works is..... limited so I would appreciate your feedback

spit
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
Credit where credits due mate!

So good to see you doing another base, the last one was such a success too.

This one is looking great so far, your 'angles' are spot on. I's suggest the way forward would be to add some very small stones/extra texture over the field and then some remnants of crops or the like to 'lift' the detail up off the florr if that makes sense? Some model railway products or old paintbrush bristles would be great for this.

Don't forget to tie it into you KT with the same pigments you've used on the tracks too.

Look forward to seeing more,

James
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 08:21 PM UTC
Thanks James,

I was counting on your reply. My idea was (once more very simple) to do just the field without any vegetables (not this time). I don' see very well (only because of my little experience in dio / base making) how should I add some crops as you suggest. I mean, do you suggest to stick them vertically or lay down? Any picture to help me to understand your idea would be helpful.
Do you think any of the internet hobby shops have the railroad stuff in thair offer. I think especially about HE or Lucky Model. Any reference yuo could show me in an on-line shop?

What I thought of was buying some water making product to create some small portions of water in the recesses.

thanks

spit
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi Pawel,

I don't know the HE shop you mention and I had a quick look on Lucky Model but don't use their site and don't seem to be able to navigate their diorama's section.
However, a shop I used to use back home has a great selection so you can see what I'm talking about, check out this section in the netmerchants shop and scroll through the pages to get a better idea.

I'm not sure if you have anything locally, but I find most hobby shops, wether they be for plastic kits or rail roads (actually better in this respect) stock some diorama building products. The model railroad stuff usually has numerous sizes of gravel and earth type products that are grat to mix up and use as a base for your ground. Add in some static grass and the like and you have a realistic looking mix that you can glue down and then paint/pigment over.

If you really struggle to find this kind of stuff take a seive out to the garden and seive some dirt, pick out all the big stuff and whats left will serve a similar purpose.

If I were you I'd stay away from water effects for the time being. They are pretty hard to pull off and can go wrong easily potentially ruining your base. I'd suggest getting a few more done before you get into this territory.

Give me a shout if you want any more infor mate.

James
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

This is more or less how it will look like. I just wonder if the sides of the turret are not too clean comparing to the hull. I may have an idea but I would like to know what you think.

spit

Pawel,

It looks outstanding and very convincing! What I would like to know is how you went about weathering and aging the main gun barrel. If you can remember or have noted the information somewhere I would like to know what colors and method you used to achieve this with as it comes very close to what it may actually have looked like in color on the real deal! I'm referring to the barrel on the prototype Tiger II.

Any assistance you could give me with this issue would be much appreciated as I am soon planning on completing my rendition on the prototype Tiger II on the Getter Done Campaign. I had planned on doing a build log on this vehicle here on the Axis - WWII Forum but lost most of the photographs to a computer hard drive failure so I shelved the project. Shame of it is the step-by-step photos of the front fenders. Oh well, no choice!

-Eddy