_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fraud discovered in Sept. DMOM
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
I got an email this morning from a modeler in Singapore who showed me his photos of an entry which won 1st place in last months Dragon Model of the Month competition. The photos are on a photo site which clearly shows he uploaded them back in 2007 so I have no reason to believe his claim of ownership of the model/photos is false.

I have notified Dragon/DML and hopefully they will be able to catch this in time so that this person does not benefit from his lie. If we can we will try to move the 4th place finisher up to 3rd and the other announced winners will get 1st, 2nd respectively.

We will also be requiring that future submissions (for November) will need to have at least one photo with the model and a piece of paper showing the name of the contest and their real name. This should hopefully prevent this type of photo-hijacking abuse in the future.

Thanks,
Jim
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
Is the fraud that it was not finnished that month? Or is it not the contestants model?

Regarding the new rule it would be still possible to enter older models as long as you take new photos?

Cheers
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
I must admit this needs better explanation.

Did the supposed fraudster simply take a pic of someone elses model and pass it off as their own or have they entered a model that they made but completed some years ago.

I always assumed we could enter models in that hadnt necessarily been built that month.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
"When you make a contest foolproof, someone will come up with a better fool."
James R. Fornortner, circa 1916

Matt
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got an email this morning from a modeler in Singapore who showed me photos of an entry which won 1st place in last months Dragon Model of the Month competition. The photos are on a photo site which clearly shows they were uploaded back in 2007 so I have no reason to believe his claim is false.

I have notified Dragon/DML and hopefully they will be able to catch this in time so that this person does not benefit from his lie. If we can we will try to move the 4th place finisher up to 3rd and the other announced winners will get 1st, 2nd respectively.

We will also be requiring that future submissions (for November) will need to have at least one photo with the model and a piece of paper showing the name of the contest and their real name. This should hopefully prevent this type of photo-hijacking abuse in the future.

Thanks,
Jim

Amazing what some people will do.

cheers

endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must admit this needs better explanation.

Did the supposed fraudster simply take a pic of someone elses model and pass it off as their own or have they entered a model that they made but completed some years ago.

I always assumed we could enter models in that hadnt necessarily been built that month.

I agree with it. Could you give us more details Jim?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC
The way I understand it is this:

Someone entered the DMOM with photos of someone elses' model that he downloaded from another web site, that have been posted there --- the other web site--- since 2007! So he not only DID NOT build the model, but also stole the photos and submitted them as if it was his own build.

Now, the question I need to ask is this:

How would any of you feel if this happened to you, and is this the kind of person you want to associate with, hang out with at shows and club meetings?
I know---- from the bleeding hearts out there---- "OH it was just a harmless prank."
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
It looks to be saying it was not their model to start with. The rules do/did state recently finished model.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The way I understand it is this:

Someone entered the DMOM with photos of someone elses' model that he downloaded from another web site, that have been posted there since 2007. So he not only DID NOT build the model, but also stole the photos and submitted them as if it was his own build.

Now, the question I need to ask is this:

How would any of you feel if this happened to you, and is this the kind of person you want to associate with, hang out with at shows and club meetings?

Dave got it but yes I can see from my initial paragraph that it wasn't clear the modeler who emailed me was the ACTUAL owner/builder of the model in question.

Here's the link that was provided: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2197238670050067200XUQALO

Jim
05Sultan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Totally rediculous!! Really says there are deeper,darker issues with that individual to go that far for a plastic kit and some virtual kudos. Hope he realizes this and learns from it.
Sad..................
Rick
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
Jim what will happen to the OD feature? will it be pulled or retitled with the correct builder if he is happy for it to be done that is.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC
Totally ridiculous and idiotic, say wasnt that m3 put up on the features part of the page with that idiots name? i hate to see how people will use others work to get credit from it
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim what will happen to the OD feature? will it be pulled or retitled with the correct builder if he is happy for it to be done that is.

The builder, Simon Chong, is a member here and I have asked him what he would like to see happen with the photo feature.

Thanks,
Jim
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
Man, that's just sad...And I really liked that M3 too!

Well, congrats to Simon in any case for the superb build!

Rob
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 09:38 AM UTC
mna..and I voted for that one too..perhaps the REAL owner should get the prize? whos the scoundrel and wheres the mob?
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
I personally have not read up on the rules of this contest, but I would think that an older build is not so bad as long as it is yours. To take credit for someone elses stuff is pitiful. Whoever did it should be ashamed of him, her self. It is not so illegal, but it reminds me a bit like stolen valor and fake Marines.............Al
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hmm thats really out of order and actually pretty pathetic!

I say the prize should be given to the guy who actually built the model, especially if he is a member here. He earnt it!
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
Really i am dying to know this guys name, i will alert other websites and tell them about this @- hole as well.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Perhaps Simon should win then. Since it was his model even though he didnt post it. Everyone voted it the best. Would be fitting if He was rewarded..... Just my 2 cents.

Powder
freeguner
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hmm, and there is another question. Was it first time, or..?

Quoted Text

mna..and I voted for that one too..perhaps the REAL owner should get the prize? whos the scoundrel and wheres the mob?

+1

Özgür..
CReading
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 11:07 AM UTC
Pretty low.

C.
Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC
some people have no respect for other's hard work.
Well done simon it was an excellent model.
Cheers,
Mat
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:01 PM UTC
Wow. It really ticks me off when people do things like this. I really hope Dragon can pull the prize in time, so this #$^%*! doesn't get rewarded for stealing Simon's work.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:36 PM UTC
A thief is a thief, no matter what they steal, or how much, or how little the value is. Whoever did this is a thief and if possible they should not only be blacklisted here, but their real and screen names be sent to other sites as a warning.
mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
nothing like taking advantage of someone elses time and hard work!! That is how other people screw it up for everyone else that is honest.
 _GOTOTOP