Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dueling Build Log: DML & Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7/1
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does your camera have a MACRO-modus?

I should look into that, Herbert, because the zoom SUCKS! Let me check the documentation.

Quoted Text

I still have this opinion on the wheelmasks, that, take a compass, measure the wheels diameter, scribe plastic sheet with the compass and you have a homemade mask. What is the real plus of the wheelmasks, besides being pre-cut, so to say? I mean $14 is in itself not much, but it's kit-specific.

They are not for everyone, but given that I currently have 8-9 kits in various stages of completion, I find it's just easier to purchase the masks. Much like using MIG pigments and filters: skilled modelers can make their own, but it's just easier (for me) to use his OOB.

And when you're spending upwards of $75-$100 on a kit including Friuls, AM PE & barrels, etc., another $14 for a very tricky paint job doesn't seem all that much. I don't know that I would purchase the masks for every vehicle-- the Pz. III, for example, has a clearly-defined "lip" at the edge of the rubber, whereas these "box chassis" (Schachtelfahrgestell) vehicles like halftracks, Tigers and Panthers, have something more akin to a rubber "coating" around the wheel. You can clearly see the demarcation on the real vehicels, and if you look closely, on my lousy photos.

So, while these are kit-specific as you rightly point out, they REALLY make painting these "box chassis" wheels a snap. And since I have these two Sd.Kfz.7s on the workbench and three more in the stash, well, I think you can see the advantages in those cases. But if you're only building one Sd.Kfz.7, then the advantage is lessened. Also, the masks are not interchangable, though the drive sprocket openings for the DML mask worked fine on the Trumpeter ones, which are missing on that set.

Quoted Text

Are you going to paint the chassis before gluing it to the body?

Normally, I prefer to do all painting after the kit is totally assembled so as to avoid overpainting something. But the Sd.Kfz.7/1 has this gun platform that prevents painting beneath it easily, so I am feeling my way on the entire process. I have painted the interior of the chassis on both kits so far.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 03:23 AM UTC
Thanks to Herbert for the suggestion of getting closer instead of using my lousy zoom for a Macro lens, here are the wheel masks up close. The photos still don't show how amazing the sharp lines are around the wheels:

This one shows the masks the best:

Now it's time to put on the wheels and get the tracks fitted. Trumpeter's wheel set has a real fit issue at the rear, but once the tracks are on, it's not so apparent. But you can really see the bulge here:

I promise to deal with that "umbilical cord" shortly, LOL!
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 03:32 AM UTC
Wow, what's going on there? Is the axle too short for the idler?

And the pics of the wheels look very good!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, what's going on there? Is the axle too short for the idler?

And the pics of the wheels look very good!

Yes, the idler wheel (the rear jobbie) tugs on the bogey in front of it. Just a poor design decision from what I can see. "Box chassis" configurations invite problems like that. I can see why the Germans had such trouble keeping their vehicles in the field.

Thanks for the compliment, Herbert, I owe it all to your suggestion. I didn't think these digital Point & Shoot cameras would focus in that closely.
AKADave
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
BTW where did you purchase the wheel masks? I cant seem to find them from a US vendor.

Great work BTW...Im itching to get on some of the half-tracks I have laying around now!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW where did you purchase the wheel masks? I cant seem to find them from a US vendor.

Great work BTW...Im itching to get on some of the half-tracks I have laying around now!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying this.

I don't know of any US dealers for the Quickwheel masks, but JMModel.eu has them and has great service.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
Wow Bill...that alignment problem with the wheels on the Trumpeter is pretty serious. Even with the tracks fitted it's going to play havoc with the guide teeth and how the track aligns front to back. The left side looks worse than the right...if the issue is the axle mount on the idler being too short, maybe you can extend it with some rod styrene or similar to get it back into at least a semblance of straight again?
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 08:51 AM UTC
I am definitely going to look at correcting the problem in some way. Thanks for the suggestion.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
Ola Bill.

I read through this thread with great interest. And I learn from the buitl you are doing... And I'm certainly happy I'm aware of the Idler issue on the back. Since my GF gave me one of trumpeters SdKz 7 kits for my birthday and I think it is good to know of these problems beforehand.

You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thank you, Robert, your appreciation means a lot.
lesrogers
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 11:56 AM UTC

Well what do you know!
I had that problem with my idler wheel so I cut off the axle and drilled the stub and used brass rod as an axle to bring the idlers in line.
Now it looks much better.
I actually thought that maybe I had done something wrong,
Bill it may be a solution for you. I had already glued mine so I had no option than break it off
and drill for the brass. I must say it a lot stronger!
Regards Les
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 04:39 PM UTC
You're reading my mind, Leslie: brass it is!
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're reading my mind, Leslie: brass it is!

Make a casting of it and sell if as corrected SdKfz 7 idlers for the Trumpeter kit...
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Good idea, Herbert!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:05 PM UTC
Here are the barrels upgraded with the Griffon PE sets:

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
Ok, I have reached a sort of mid-point where the major work ahead is the guns and gun platforms:

The duotone 1940 camo shows up well on the wheels:

You can see the anti-skid plate pattern well using the flash:

Nice detailing of the Trumpeter engine and the resin AM front wheels:
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC
DML's is a "Smart Kit," while Trumpeter has more parts and PE. This is the front seat bench on the Trumpeter:

This shows a major fault, though, in the kit: no corresponding part for the gun crew head rest. The rear portion has a padded part, but the directions show nothing else being added, and you can see this doesn't look right. I don't have any museum relics with this part installed, and no historical photos just yet.

Now the DML:

Now the styrene detailing on the engine bonnet for the Trumpeter:
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
Now, we're really at parity-- both engine bonnets attached and the PE grill upgrades, Borgward for the Trumpeter and Kraus-Maffei for the DML:

Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
Thank you for the update!
This looks really interesting!

Also I didn´t noticed, that the 2 modelkit-companies made vehicles from 2 different vehicle-companies.
Are there big differences between the 2 companies exept for the name-plates?
I don´t have a reference-book for the Sd.Kfz.7 here.
I thought, there are the same plans and finally the same "look" of the vehicle.

greetings...
Soeren
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi, Soren,

I don't know what sources the two companies used for their kits. I suspect that Trumpeter based theirs off the Jacques Littlefield Collection in CA.

The historical vehicle's prototype was developed by the Patentfirma of Kraus-Maffei in Munich, but the production models (like with many Wehrmacht projects) were built by various contractors. The most common for the Sd.Kfz.7 were Kraus-Maffei and Borgward (the automobile manufacturer, also known as Hansa, Goliath and Lloyd). Griffon Model has released PE sets that allow kitbuilders to put either company's logo on the radiator. I have used one of each nameplate here for sheer fun.

Buessing-NAG also built the vehicle, and are supposedly the orginators of the graceful, rounded mud guards.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
Bill,

Very nice write-up you have going here.

What's going on with the front wheels on the trumpeter model? Looks like a camber issue. Are wheels aren't aligned or is it taking a left hand turn?

Another big difference I see is the angle of the steering wheel. The Dragon kit is tilted much more toward the driver. Was this a difference between manufacturers, or a possible error? I don't have any photos to check, although Herbert's picture on page 3 seems to indicate the Dragon is a bit more accurate.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice write-up you have going here.

Thanks, it's a lot of fun doing this.

Quoted Text

What's going on with the front wheels on the trumpeter model? Looks like a camber issue. Are wheels aren't aligned or is it taking a left hand turn?

The Trumpeter has working front end, so it's taking a hard left-hand turn, LOL!

Quoted Text

Another big difference I see is the angle of the steering wheel. The Dragon kit is tilted much more toward the driver. Was this a difference between manufacturers, or a possible error? I don't have any photos to check, although Herbert's picture on page 3 seems to indicate the Dragon is a bit more accurate.

Actually, neither one is spot-on, but I believe the Trumpy is closer to the real thing. Unlike with the DML, the Trumpeter steering column integrates into the linkage to the front end. It's more accurate internally.

While I'd give the DML the overall nod for accuracy, their kit isn't perfect (what kit is?). The interior bits go heavily in Trumpeter's favor.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi Bill real neat work going on here, I like the dual style build.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thanks, Martyn!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
Well, it has been awhile, but not because I haven't been busy on this. The gun platform is going to be tricky, as I have the PE from Griffon Models to incorporate into what was supposed to be an OOB build, LOL!

I'm building up the shields slowly:

You can see the good styrene detailing on the ammo magazine racks at the base:

And the AM gun barrels really make the kit come alive. Here is a flash photo to bring out the detailing:

The resin sight looks good in the shot, too. Can't take any credit for that! LOL.