_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Zvezda's BTR-70
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
I'm not building it now; I just happen to have it in storage right now. How good is that kit? It got a good review, but the recent T-62 kit review was decried as being too rosy. So, anyone knows how good or bad this kit is? Thanks. (And what about the BTR-80 while I ask?)
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC
Not good
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC
hello
its ok needs work but.........trumps got one coming......
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not building it now; I just happen to have it in storage right now. How good is that kit? It got a good review, but the recent T-62 kit review was decried as being too rosy. So, anyone knows how good or bad this kit is? Thanks. (And what about the BTR-80 while I ask?)

It's a 1989 Dragon mold. Their standard of engineering at that time was mediocre.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not good

It's about as good as the T62 you put out.
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
Did you know anything about T-62? Our T-62 HULL is right ! Zaloga is too old!
spoons
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:00 AM UTC
the trumpy T62 is exellent,the reboxed btr70/80 is just ok.be nice to get a 2010 molding ,how about plastic tyres instead of (vinly)ones trumpy!
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
Tom
I'm building it right now. The undersides are generic probably closer to a BTR 60 than a 70, even Eduard set is incorrect for the intake grill. The hinges are designed to open so they are toy like. The Eduard PE helps but be prepared to sit with hundreds of pictures and checking as you go. SP Designs replacement wheels for the armoured and unarmoured really help with the wheel issues. The kit comes with parts of for two different turrets, early BTR 70 and late, with and without the armour plate, and the smoke dispensers for the BTR 80. The Eduard set lets you update to a late BTR 70 with the armoured light guards and the gun ports on the waist plates and turret vision block.
This is an important vehicle that saw many conflicts especially in the Afghanistan/ Soviet conflict which interests me lately. There are many great images on the internet, be prepared to buy the BTR 70 Wings and Wheels book which is necessary for the late version BTR 70, I am making an earlier version.
Hope this helps
Bill
Photobucket
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I know quite a bit about the T62. I know enough to see that you got several things wrong. Maybe if you would work with some of these people, instead of insulting them, you'd get a super kit.

Quoted Text

the trumpy T62 is exellent

Maybe for you, but for a lot of others its quite the dissapointment. Guess you missed these threads:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1256368532/T-62+woes

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1257783750/T-62+Mod+1962+lower+hull+photos...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1257857608/T-62+rear+deck+tweak...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1257945222/T-62+hull+lengthened...

Sorry for highjacking the thread on the BTR70.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, I know quite a bit about the T62. I know enough to see that you got several things wrong. Maybe if you would work with some of these people, instead of insulting them, you'd get a super kit.

Quoted Text

the trumpy T62 is exellent

Maybe for you, but for a lot of others its quite the dissapointment. Guess you missed these threads:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1256368532/T-62+woes

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1257783750/T-62+Mod+1962+lower+hull+photos...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1257857608/T-62+rear+deck+tweak...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1257945222/T-62+hull+lengthened...

Sorry for highjacking the thread on the BTR70.

Actually it was seeing those which made me wonder about the BTR-70 in the first place!
bramah4
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
... my two pennies worth... Trumpeter is doing a great job of releasing kits that I want. I have the T62 and am enjoying the build immensely. I do not work for a museum nor do I count rivets as it is a hobby for me. A hobby that is becoming more enjoyable with the introduction of more Trumpeter products. The company is both aggressive and prepared to take risks beyond the Tiger/Sherman variations. I cant wait for the BTR 60 70 and the BTR 40. Times are good. Merry Christmas and what a great new year we are all going to have in this hobby.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC
1. Please try to keep things civil. It should not become a "I'm right, you're wrong" off-topic thread.

2. There are SOME translation issues, so PLEASE do not take everything literally. The purpose of this board, under my watch anyhow, is to make sure that Russian/Soviet model kits are pursued, that research is made available to all, and that honest discussions can take place.

3. DO NOT take thing personally. We all invest a lot of work, hope, and dreams into these models. Remember to take a big, deep breath before getting upset. Saves a lot of tears.

Thank you.

That said, William's post is a pretty good synopsis. ALL current aftermarket wheels for the BTR-70 or -80 are based on DML's rather square, thin offerings. All improvements come in the hubs or in the material (DML's rubber is famous for breaking over time). Trumpeter's BTR wheels for their future releases look to be a better representation with a thicker/fuller/rounder wheel.

As for the T-62, please take that to the review page

Thank you again.
Removed by original poster on 12/24/09 - 20:32:37 (GMT).
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
Well, here's what I hope is a noncontroversial question: is Revell's NVA BTR-70 kit the same (except for decals etc.) as the Dragon or Zvezda models? I'm assuming yes.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
The answer is: Yes. All BTR-70 kits on the markets are from DML's molds.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are SOME translation issues, so PLEASE do not take everything literally.

Jacques, how true, and unfortunately it comes up all the time on all the forums, not just this one.
It also comes up all the time on my job, since we have so many different nationalities and cultures working together, a simple wrong word or misunderstanding of a word or even the tone of it leads to official state investigations into discriminations, that cost the tax payers millions of dollars each year.

The way I've read what "Old Steve" said about the T-62 was it was not too bad of a kit, and anyone with moderate modeling skills can fix it. But then again since I'm older than Steve, perhaps I'm mis-read or mis-understood those threads.

All too often it is so easy to complain about a kits short comings, and I hate to say it --- but there is really no such animal as the "perfect kit", or perfect human being. But at least Steve and a few others always offer ways to improve or correct the kits. And correcting and improving kits is part of the fun of modeling.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey All..merry christmas..

i had the kit completed last year.... overall it;s not a bad kit afterall...
i build mine with eduard PE set and modelpoint metal barrel. With a few small enhancement and a few effort, i can say this is not the worst kit i ever had and i enjoyed building it.
You may have a look at my old thread here Click Me

Zaidi
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

overall it;s not a bad kit afterall...
i build mine with eduard PE set and modelpoint metal barrel. With a few small enhancement and a few effort, i can say this is not the worst kit i ever had and i enjoyed building it.
You may have a look at my old thread here Click Me

I agree, the DML/Revell/Zvezda BTR70s and 80s aren't that bad. The toyish hinges need to be replaced. Some other detail work, and you can build some pretty nice kits. I'd get the TMD replacement wheels, much nicer than the SP Designs and they're not full of air bubbles. It's much easier to add or replace small details than have to correct major things like a hull or what not.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
Sil
Thanks for fixing the dead picture links on your thread. I refer back to your work while building mine and I think other will too. It'll be interesting to see what Trumpeter comes up with for the BTR line up, I look forward to it.
Regards
Bill
PS
I bought both SP wheels sets, armoured and unarmoued and I had no air holes at all, I am pleased with them.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
Tony - My guess is that you got a set of fairly old wheels. Were they from me? If so, you never wrote me about it. If they are in rough shape, I am willing to work it out. The stuff Sergej is doing right now is very good...about the only problem he is having is with some of the bolt heads not forming properly due to air bubble issues...but that is being worked on too.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tony - My guess is that you got a set of fairly old wheels. Were they from me? If so, you never wrote me about it. If they are in rough shape, I am willing to work it out. The stuff Sergej is doing right now is very good...about the only problem he is having is with some of the bolt heads not forming properly due to air bubble issues...but that is being worked on too.

I was going by the pictures in Sil's build link. Those look pretty nasty to me. I have a few sets of the TMD wheels and would rather pay the few bucks more for quality.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
Ah - well, remember, I did send him replacement wheels that he was happy with. The original set really were bad, that's why I have no issue with replaceing bad parts.

Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing what Trumpeter put out in 2011.
spoons
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 04:27 AM UTC
hello
what with the Christmas spirit in full flow just want to clarify some things...when i said T62 excellent i meant compared to the rest of the game tamiyas old kit and the warped resin aef updates i have for it(i suppose if your updating a crap kit you should update it with crap updates )and sp designs is another world away from what sp was producing 10 years ago(and Jacques is best service for sp stuff ).and last there is talk on another forum about GAOYUE bad mouthing steve zagola .....strange since he was never mentioned in the discussion it was a translation slip from zvezda to zagola..if only zagola produced kits. merry Christmas!!!!!!
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

strange since he was never mentioned in the discussion it was a translation slip from zvezda to zagola.

How do you know that? Sorry I don't accept that theory. I think he knew full what he was trying to say.
spoons
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hey no need to apologise .its not a therory, the title of the thread is zvesda's.....
 _GOTOTOP