_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Uparmored Humvee
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:05 AM UTC
Here are some in progress shot of my Tamiya Humvee. I used Blast Models Armored Doors, Tires, and Late series gun ring Set that will be worked on tonight. Also did my first scratchbuilding on the back rack. Thanks for the photo's last night guys.
Enjoy and as always comments welcome

Herky
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
Looking good Jeremy! I like the cargo rack on the back, thats a neat little touch, and very well built.

I made a Humvee with all the Blast stuff a while back, that Blast stuff is a real pleasure to work with!
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:22 AM UTC
Thanks, and Yes I am sold on Blast models. They are so easy to work with so far. If only the tire said Good-Year instead of Goo-Year. Thank to 18Bravo for the pic of the rack. I got it as close as i could and only took about an hour. Guess thats pretty good. But it was a first and fun. Hopefully more to follow in the next day or so.

Herky
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, and Yes I am sold on Blast models. They are so easy to work with so far. If only the tire said Good-Year instead of Goo-Year. Thank to 18Bravo for the pic of the rack. I got it as close as i could and only took about an hour. Guess thats pretty good. But it was a first and fun. Hopefully more to follow in the next day or so.

Herky

Great work so far - the rack looks great! One minor thing, the rack actually hooks over the tailgate. it's an easy fix, but it does look good as is.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Haha yer the tires is a bummer, if you check on the other side though, they do say 'good year', when I did mine I cut out the hubs turned the wheel round and fitted the Tamiya hubs so the correct spelling was on view. This did of course mean the wheels had the wrong hub, no one notices though!
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC
Bravo- I seen that in the pic, my plan was to get the top on and then put the two pieces on to have it "hook" on the tailgate.

Herky
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
OK we have a little more progress here. Wish i would have set this up as a blog... Oh well you live and learn HUH???

Enjoy

Herky
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 05:24 PM UTC
Build looks great so far Jeremy. I love the rack on the back. Really excellent!
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
Here is another small update today. Should have the turret finished up this afternoon. I believe that is all that is let other than adding a few pieces of stowage.

Feel free to make some constructive Comments. Hopefully the Shield over the Engine grille looks right.

Enjoy
Herky
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC
Great progress. The scoop looks good, but what's holding it onto the hood?

Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
How does it look now Skip???

This Scratchbuilding is getting kinda fun, although I am doing simple stuff. Sure adds a little to the kit

Jeremy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
Well hell, now you might as well leave off the tailpipe and bust the glass out of the catalytic converter!
mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC
A humvee with a Hood scoop? Maybe a 454 with a blower and nitrous under the hood? That looks like a fun build. What purpose does the scoop serve? I remember back when(sea story) when they were training us on the Humvee and they stressed do not walk on the hood or the grill. So, as a typical jarhead working in Motor T we did the opposite. I like the rack as well, wish I had the talent to scratchbuild like that. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:14 AM UTC
I am assuming it is to protect the engine a little more. The ones I have seen In Iraq have thick plates of steel. That is what i tried to replicate. I know there may be no real humvee like this one, but hey who knows. But i have seen it on several so there is truth to it. Believe it or not the rack was easier than you think. I believe any one could do it.
I was going for something like this

Well off to sniff some more glue.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC
In Iraq it was to better induct air over the radiator. In your pic you'll also see louvers behind the scoop that they've added to bleed heat off of the engine. If you want to do those you can shave them off of an old diesel locomotive shell.
Looking good.
mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
That one Humvee just looks like a beast! Will you be doing the front bumper as well?
mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In Iraq it was to better induct air over the radiator. In your pic you'll also see louvers behind the scoop that they've added to bleed heat off of the engine. If you want to do those you can shave them off of an old diesel locomotive shell.
Looking good.

So is it a field modification? There is a picture at the beginning of this thread where I can't see any additional louvers, plus the straps were from some rusty strap steel. Maybe the shade is hiding the detail? Still, what a fun build.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Usually the best ideas stem from field mods. In my photo of the SF Gun Truck it is most definitely a field mod. Jeremy's photo of the scoop looks to be somewhat closer to a kit, with the supports inside the scoop. The louver thing may well have become a standard "kit" as well. It does take a bit more time and effort than what we did on one of ours, which was to cut a big hole in the hood behind the radiator.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
No I won't be putting a bumper like that on this one. But here in the near future I will be. A M1151 With That Bumper and A Rhino IED device.

Here it is all ready for Paint (need warmer temps)

What you all think. I think it looks pretty mean so far.

Jeremy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
Damn you work fast! Looks great. Hopefully Global Warming will commence soon so we can see some paint.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
Who doesn't work faster when the Wife is at work and the Little One is at Day care. Sometimes I love flying on the night lines!!!! Volunteered for 2 next week..... Still get to spend alot of time with the family which is cool as well. Hope it warms up soon as well

Jeremy
The_Madhatter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hey Jeremy, your Humvee is looking awesome. I have never used any of the Blast products myself but they look really nice. The only complaint that I would have on the blast stuff is that, and this is a personal opinion, the lettering on the tires seems raised a bit to much to be scale. But other than that you have a wonderful looking build going there. Hope it warms up for ya so you can shoot it with some paint. Here in Ky we are looking at a -2 for a low over the weekend, hopefully the sandbar isn't that cold. Keep us posted on your progress.
mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
Jeremy, that Humvee is going to kick ass and chew bubble gum and it's all out of bubblegum! Great piece, throw some paint on it and take it for a spin!
mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Herky

Is there a distributor that sells Blast Models products in the USA?
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
I know that Great Models sells them, but they are expensive. Also try R and J enterprises They usually have their stuff or can order it quickly. They are also Awesome people. Give them a shout.

herky
 _GOTOTOP