Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 scale Nissan Hut scratchbuild
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC
Since my reference so far has been based on Cultybraggen camp and it was supposedly there right at the beggining of the war, I might try to call the firm that is leasing the units to see if they have a potted history or even more photos.

If all else fails I might just go on a basic brown or green.

Starting to cut and fix the inner sheets keeping them between the bows. I may cut and fold thin strips of tin foil to glue the edges of the sheets to so that the sheets are all in line behind the bows as in the original (hiding my stiff metal bows behind new bows).

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
Here is where I am at by the end of the weekend. I have put my 1/32 Renault Traffic van up against it to show the potential for use in both war time and current period dioramas with a world wide usage.

Going off to bed soon as nackered from two overnight sessions of modelling and Xbox 360.

Work tomorrow.

Nige
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC
love your work! awesome idea for the paint tube thing too! i'm going to try and look for one soon and do the same thing!

can't wait to see it finished! (i know how hard it is to choose: xbox or modelling!)
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
Nice work, I'll be keeping an eye in here...

Ahh, Memories of Boscombe & Tillshead, breaking the ice on the sink for a wash...
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

love your work! awesome idea for the paint tube thing too! i'm going to try and look for one soon and do the same thing!

can't wait to see it finished! (i know how hard it is to choose: xbox or modelling!)

Nice work, I'll be keeping an eye in here...

Ahh, Memories of Boscombe & Tillshead, breaking the ice on the sink for a wash...

Thanks Matt

I also have a sore back from all my house DIY that I have to get down in between enjoying my hobby.

Hi Jon

Some fine memories of ATC and TA days in good weather or bad. These buildings did their job well and were a testiment to their simple design that they lasted so long.

Now Squaddies get all the creature comforts going and maybe it is about time too. ESPECIALLY as this is their job 24/7 !!!!

Next time I do a nissen hut though, I will simply lay the internal sheets overlapping the bows then lay the purlins on top. As you can see I have gaps that will not be seen when it is all closed up, but I will know they are there.

If I had used wider bows and cut the corrugated sheets all the same width first and set each bow individually they may have been without gaps. My fiddling about in the plaster getting the bows to stand vertical has put the allignment out fractions enough to cause unevenness.

BUGGER

Ah well in the knowledge box for later use !!! Too far on nd too tight deadline to alter now.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi folks

I got directed to a great article on how to make brick and stone using cork sheet cut to size and then using spackle (I presume in the UK is common building plaster).

This is where I am at tonight and a bit of the route I took was by pure chance after deciding to shred a piece of junk mail at home.

I took an A4 sized sheet of the cork and chucked it in the shredder ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hey presto ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 6mm wide strips (ok some a bit skew wiff probably cause our shredder is well used and abused).

I marked out a 2mm by 6mm box on two parallel lines to act as a guide

Metal streight edge to hold the cork and guide my blade

A sharp blade would be a boon but as my work shed in a mess and me bringing stuff back into the house to work on I am using the blade at hand (NOT AS SHARP AS COULD BE).

A few cuts later and a heap of brick shims to make a facing for my hut.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
Started laying down the brick courses with wood glue onto a cardboard background. I have to say myself that it gives a very pleasing effect.

Am nackered and need my bed.

Night night

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Tonights efforts

A bit of trimming to do on the doors and windows

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
Got round to grouting up the brick courses with basic household all pupose filler only a £1 a tub.

Coffee stirrer as a trowel to lay on the filler and press it in to the brick beds and perp-end joints.

part filled and excess rubbed off with a damp cloth

Outside face

Inside face (note the addition of coffee stirrers to form the buttressing which was also bricked over

Cheers

Nige
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:05 PM UTC
Nige,
Great looking brick work there can't wait to see some paint on them.
One question should you not have lintels above the door and windows?
It might be a concrete lintel or a metal plate?
Cheers
David
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi David

You are very correct that the lintels could be concrete, metal or even simple timber lintels set in the brick. i was going on the basis of a simple metal lintel given the very short spans and minimal self weight of the brick above.

Being in the building industry you would have thought I would have made a point of checking the photos a bit closer to see which might have been used !

This hut at Cultybraggen clearly has the edges of either a concrete or timber lintel showing through the RENDERED brick face Bu**er .

Yes RENDERED !!! And it is likely that this was the original construction as it was very common in Scotland to render the brickwork for weathertightness.

So, as my Nissen hut is based on the premise that it is at Cultybraggen (Camp 21) at the very beginning of the war I will need to render the lovely brickwork on the exterior. Enphasising the lintels slightly would not be a problem.

I should have gone to specsavers !!!!!!

Tee hee

:o) Nige
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 12:59 AM UTC
using the shredder to make the stripes ! LOL That's one to remember!

Good work on the facade!

Cheers
Claude
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi Nige,

Turn the brick work around to show on the inside and render the other side.

Just a thought.

Al
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nige,

Turn the brick work around to show on the inside and render the other side.

Just a thought.

Al

Hi Alan

The section you see done is one end of the hut with an outside face and an inside face, both with brickwork in place. The inside face has the distinct full height buttressing either side of the doorway.

I will have to bite the bullet and simply render the flat, outside face, which will not be a problem to do. I still have the window frames to make using the tin foil again and clear sheet. concrete window cills, timber door and tin foil for the hinges.

It may be that the front end will be removable to allow viewing inside later so the interior brickwork can still be seen.

Nige

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hi folks

Got round to fitting concrete lintels in the windows and doors,

Rear wall section with no door

Also rendered over the brickwork on the outer faces.

Also prepared the base for the dio using a plaster mix

I have left a reasonable border around so I can develope the dio over time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, long time no doubt !!!!!!

Space for vehicles or figures or both.

Nige
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
Nice one. Top marks for the corrigated steel - I think a few of us will be having a go at that ourselves.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 01:53 AM UTC
Thanks
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC
Hi Nige,
Have you decided on a final setting for this excellent build yet ? The new Austin "Tilly" would look good parked outside
Paul
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi Paul

The Nissen hut is supposed to be one on the POW camp 21 at Cultybraggen in Scotland at the beginning of the war.

I got round to adding some acrylic paint to the base of plaster using a good mix of colours from burnt umber through raw siena to ochre.

Then used a very watered down PVA wood glue brushed liberaly over the base in patches to place a mix of scorched grass, fresh grass, normal dried tea leaves, interspaced with a small amount of strawberry flavoured (and red coloured) tea leaves.

I have added a concrete platt outside the door with a metal boot scraper set in and some timber duck boards to get to the roadway

I gave the interior brickwork a light wash of dirty black acrylic to give the bricks a little more texture and picked out a few with black spots to mimic well fired bricks.

As a compromise to the art (tee hee) I have scraped of a couple of patches of the roughcast to expose the brickwork below. Then I gave the roughcast a wash of variou shades of light blues, greys and a final wash of dirty black.

Hope you like

Nige
scottgirvan
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
That looks really great. I love the idea for the brick work. Very cool.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
Thanks Scott

Hi folks

Up at Lossiemouth and able to spend time doing what I want for a change !!!!!

Made a start at skinning the hut

Started from the back elevation

The first sheets were cut to allow them to be crimpped around the curve of the wall head

You can see how the interior skin sits

I could lift the outer skin off to add the next sheets but I found later that this led to a slight rise which I had to compensate for by keeping the skin on the base to make more accurate placement of each panel

A small dot of superglue easily held the aluminium sheets together

How the outer skin looks from inside

How the inner skin looks

Gradually building the outer skin

How each panel overlaps the next

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 07:00 AM UTC
Update

Got some nice sunny, dry and calm weather to take some outdoor pics

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi folks

Got around to adding some acrylic paints to the tin. First attempt seems a bit to red in colour but am happy to let this dry out and go over again with another coat with a bit more brown to orange colour.

The weather has been fantastic here in Lossie

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 10:55 PM UTC
Thanks folks

Made the change to the colour which I think is slightly better and more towards the orange brown colour at Cultybraggen

Nige
sasman21
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:04 AM UTC
will you be taking this masterpiece to the scottish nationals later this month if so i will be good to see it in the flesh