1/35 scale Nissan Hut scratchbuild
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
Well done Nige!

Nice views from the inside, looks almost real.
Are you going to put some figures on the base(i may have missed that) to put the size of the hut in perspective?
That would eb a good thing!

Cheers
Claude
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC
Great job looks like the one I lived in korea in 1974. In my hut we had 2 stoves one on each end and they gave us 5 gal. a night to heat the hut if you have been to korea in the winter it lasted about 3 hours burrrrrr. I look forward to your next post. Bill
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi folks

Still got to install a chimney, flue and stove. Just found some pics of their constructiona nd approx location. Another task over next couple of days.

I will be taking the hut to Perth with me so I hope I got the general look about right. I figured from pics of Cultybraggen and another POW camp where colour pics of sheds that remain were on web sites, this colour appears close. Not sure how close but others can and will soon tell me I am sure.

I am doing some figures for my other dio and may place them on this dio when they are painted for some pics to show the size off.

I know a few points I would correct next time around, and I have just found, this week a magazine with a fighter dispersal Nissen hut during B of B with a nice, plain brick, end walls. So may give this a go. and possibly go for a green colour next time.

Hope to catch up with you at the show Ian.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
[u]Were did the hot weather bugger off to?[/u]

Been in the tourer working on the hut. Made a sub frame for the windows by splitting matchsticks into four long thin strips with a sharp blade.

Then trapped clear perspex within folded strips of tin foil to make the steel framed windows

Typical side hung and a top hung window beside a fixed double pane for each opening

Am heading back to the tourer to make the other three sets and start on the wooden door and frame.

Wife desires her lap top to chat with all her palls even though I could not log on to the dongle at all today.

Nige
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
Wow, that is looking real ! Good work.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Nige,

Nice work, good progress.

You'll have seen this one whch is 'Murphy's Law'

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/6543

Al

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC
More work today

Thanks Ko and Alan

Yep would ya credit it. Someone making plastic nissen huts. Still think this way gives more scope for the variations in diameter and end construction. Would love to know what price the hut models are though.

Decided to have a go at making a stove and flue for the hut,

made using tin foil pressed around hole cutters to make a tube for the fire box. Still got to make a door for feeding the stove. Four basic legs made out of cut matchsticks. All to be painted black and darkened with more appropriate colours ??????? don't know which yet ???????

The flue made of plastic tube with tin foil wrapped around has a chinese hat on top using a circle of tin with a segment cut out to allow the cone to be formed and placed on a coil of wire with three ends sticking down to locate in the flue.

The flashing around the flue penetration through the corrugated roof will be painted black to represent a fire proof cauking and bitumin tar water proofing.

I used sand and fine pebbles from Lossie beach in a thick PVA glue mix to make the track a little rougher. I also brushed fine sand of a more grey colour in between the larger pebbles to bed them in more naturally using various amounts of water to wash in the mix. Once the glue started going off I used a wet brush to lick over the pebbles and track to leave some pebbles clearly showing through the top surface.

I added some additional flock in places where too much of the previous cover was washed away.

Small bushes were added to give the surface just a little more texture.

Also added window stays but still got to make tiny little catches

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi Folks

Got a chance to make a correction which was easier than I thought. The previous hole now has a ventilation cowl over it and the stove flue now exits up against the rear wall.

Hope it looks better and thanks for the input as usual.

Still got two more windows to glaze. Should have got Everest in to give them double glazing (Tee Hee).

Here is the long suffering wife putting up with me hogging the caravan table.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 01:54 PM UTC
Hi folks

That is me back from our hols and feeling like I want to go back up for another couple of weeks. Was so nice to get away.

Now that I am home I only have a week to finish of the hut. Will need to get stuck into it tomorrow. May use the caravan so I feel like I am still on hols.

Bugger ,,,,,,, back to work on Monday too.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC
Brief update with some windows and a door

Door is made of four coffee stirrers glued together and each strip of wood has been carved to make two boards instead of one.

Hinges work and are made of tin foil and wire

I haven't forgotten the door handles (not in the photos here) made from pin head stuck through a drilled hole.

The inner frame is made of coffee stirrers

Making a start at some early luftwaffe POW's using this kit

Changing the tanker's jackets to luftwaffe style

Nige

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Looks really good.

So Nige, in all this engineering and construction work, did you discover where the roof stops and the side walls begin?
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hi Mark

I haven't set out any interior for the hut as I was gonna keep it simple to get the outer complete for Perth.

Here are photos of the interior of huts at cultybraggen

I know that some huts were fitted out with partitions and side walls but I have no interior layout plans for other set ups but I know they are on other web sites.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
Having looked at the photos closely I have realised a cock up in that I needed a central timber and two diagonal braces to the door.

Will make a quick fix tommorow.

Nige
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 01:05 PM UTC
Actually Nige, countless hours were spent by GI's (don't know if it happened outside of the US military) all over the globe arguing over where the roof ended and the side walls began on a hut.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually Nige, countless hours were spent by GI's (don't know if it happened outside of the US military) all over the globe arguing over where the roof ended and the side walls began on a hut.

Tee hee

Nige
 _GOTOTOP