Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Eisenbahngeschütz DORA
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 03:54 AM UTC
That is quite a job. replacing the decks with wood.I sanded mine down a bit, to make the grain a bit less obvious.Will you be recreating the fasteners which attached the decking to the frame?
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 240 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 06:24 AM UTC
I think that I will add the screws by making some small "holes" in each part, which will be painted in dark, black I suppose...!

Kind regards,
Michael
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 05:07 AM UTC
[u]steps and other details[/u]

[u]The first etched parts[/u]

Make attention using the correct etched part and the correct plastic part in the correct direction! Otherwise the holes for the rails will not fit!!!!

[u]The first completed base... front left side[/u]

Added scratched box - not finished yet as locks, the grips and other details are still missing.

BR
Michael
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Nice job so far.

Okay a question on those buffers one to me looks round and stands out the other one looks flat.

Is that the way they really are?

What size is that expanded metal?

In scale as looks pretty large.

Nice work and brave soul to tackle such a large item.

Cheers
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 06:20 AM UTC
Watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuW8gG8Hfg

The handbrake stands are close to the ends of the railings on the front bogies.
sauron
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC
Jeff,

The bumpers are correct - the left one is rounded and the right one is flat. There is a photo in the book Deutsche Eisenbahn Geschutze by Gerhard Traube which clearly shows them. I was wondering the same thing before I bought the brass replacement bumpers for my Dora. Still not sure why they are different though. Maybe it has something to do with two railcars not having to be aligned when they contact each other which could be a problem if both plates were flat? This way a round one always hits a flat one.

Rick
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi guys,

some pictures of the basicly finished first wagon of the DORA. The one. left side, front.

More pictures you will find on myWebsite!

BR
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
Michael,
Just found this tread, you are doing a fantastic job here. The kit is enormous by itself and you plan on butting it on a dio with command post. Where will you fit it when its finished? Looking foward to seeing the completed dio.
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 03:49 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

some new pictures of the DORA for you.

The railing of the left wagon is modified, I had to cut it for the chest which was on the total left side of the wagon, the railing was cut out at this place.

... and the right wagon which is identically to the left one, only the chests on the top are different, different size, position ....

As a small summary you will find some pictures of the two completed wagons for the front in the following:

I hope that you will like it!

BR
Michael
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
Just a thought,where you have 2 chests next to each other, It will be problematic getting paint in there. Will you brush paint the exposed sides, and allow the airbrush to paint the decking between them? I like the wooden flooring you did, looks good now.
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hehe Already thought about that. The chests are not fixed finally.... only installed without glue at the moment

BR
Michael
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi,

the show must go on - and both rear wagons are finished as well. These two are nearly identical with the first two wagons, only the chests are less and a little different. Also some additional small parts are left on the rear wagons which you could find at the front (reason: the lift for the ammuntion will be mounted on the rear side of the rear wagons!)

In the following pictures of the two rear wagons:

All parts will be painted at once when everything is finished.

BR
Michael
Dave621955
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 11:58 PM UTC
As always, GREAT WORK!! Now as I begin my retirement and this massive piece of artillery questions abound that I hope you and TankCarl won't mind answering. First ones that come to mind from a thread with Tom Moon is - what exactly must be done with the barrel Is it to long, to short or good as is? And is there good decals out there and where can I find them

Thanks for the infomation

Dave
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

yes of course- let's try to answer everything

Firstly the barrel - yes it is too long. But it is difficult to find a correct answer - some say about 5,7cm, others about 29cm too long.... I am still looking for a correct way...

Decals you also could get, the German company "Peddinghaus Decals" (http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1333&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) is offering a very good set for the Dora!

BR
Michael
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC
Dave, there was a Portuguese site which had the dimensions of each section of barrel which was too long. There was a reference, which stated the barrel was 32 meters long, and the kit scales 40.

Dave621955
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Michael and Carl,

Thanks for the information. Michael, the decales at Peddinghaus look great and I dropped them an e-mail, I might need some help there as I don't read German. Carl thanks for the pictures and information on the barrel. Before I cut mine down did either of you modify the length your Dora barrel? As far as the reference book, I'd really like to see one but for the cost I'm not sure the household treasurer would agree with that, not after what I spent on the Dora. I got in contact with Rab who had a thread a while ago and also created a fantastic diorama with the Dora as the centerpiece. He, like everyone on this site are very helpful when it comes to information and suggestions. I see I've got the first few years of retirement taken up. I've rounded up a lot of the support equipment, several kits of various crews and lots of bits and pieces for the planned diorama. I hope to get started on Augaust 1st, my retirement day. Kind of a present to myself.

Thanks again Dave
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi. Soar Art is not a mainstream manufacturer. How is the quality of their moulding? Are the parts, especially small parts, in good registration? And are there many knock-out pin marks to either remove or fill? In short, how does the quality compare with recent Dragon kits, or Tamiya?
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi...

firstly no, I have not yet cut my barrel - but I will. as soon as I have finished the next steps reaching the barrel in the mounting instruction - then I will cut it to get the corret size (or even one size, which is nearly correct). After that (don't know when) I will show my results!

The Decals from Peddinghaus are good quality. If I could help just let me know.

The quatlity of the kit is really good. Also the small parts are in a good quality. The worst thing is that the material is different - it is harder then normal plastic like Tamiya or Trumpeter.... and normal glue is not really working here.

If you want some details pictures - on my website I showed a preview of the kit with detailed pictures of the kit... www.world-in-scale.de "Eisenbahngeschütz Dora" --> "Das Modell" --> "Vorstellung des Modells".... also there are different parts I used additionally as well as a list with all mistakes of the kit.... but this list is only German....

BR
Michael
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 11:52 AM UTC
I have not cut my barrel yet. I found Ambroid Proweld liquid glue in the glass bottle worked best. Assemble the parts, then use capillary action. There is some flash. And there were some "sink marks" which needed filling. A careful inspection during construction will find them.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

it is easy to say - the kit is wrong. In original the "Dora" railway gun (also this "name" "Railway gun" is wrong!) - had 8 wagons instead of 4. with 4 (each one would have 10 axles) it would not be possible to drive around any curve... that's why the Dora hat 8 wagons... and the possibility to make small turns within each wagon under the bridges....

(and the "name" railway gun is wrong as the Dora was transported to the place of firing on different train wagons and mounted at the final destination. Dora drove only few meters alone to correct the fire position.

BR
Michael

Great build so far. I have one of these and one day I plan on starting it. As for the name Railway gun, I think the name is proper because it is on rails BUT that is just me rattling on
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
The name "Railway gun" is a wrong name for the "DOra" as it was built at the firing place and brought there on different trains.... after built up "Dora" only drove a few meters when shooting and back - that'S all

Dave621955
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
Michael

Received the decals from Peddinghaus yesterday and you were right, they will complete the Dora nicely. While I was at it I order their sheet for the BR 52 locomotive and they to are great. I'd recommend this company to anyone. As for proweld, after several attempts, everyone is out of stock, I finally found some, it will be here early next week. Then the fun begins!

Thanks again for all ya'lls help.
Dave
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
The first step was changing the plate of the hatch on the front side of the part. I made a new one, which was thicker and which now has original 8 screws on it:

I hope you like it so far!

Micha
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 01:56 AM UTC
In the following some new pictures of my DORA. The first details are mounted, some parts needed to be filled and still need to be sanded later.

The next step is the new walkaround which will be produced of mesh and evergreen profiles.

BR
Micha
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC
Parts of the kit:

Shortening:

New walkarounds:

Mounted: