Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Russian T-62 in Georgia
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Well just a small update for today, I’ve just finish added the last of the details to the rear hull. All new retaining straps and clamps have been added to the fuel drum mounts. I decide to mount one drum and leave the other empty as I can't find any real pictures of the drums even being mounted and most of the info I can find suggest they are used for storage of personal gear and what not. As usual, plastic and brass wire was used for the construction. The location for the ditching beam has new straps in place and the beam left out to give the tank a more used look. Now I can move onto building the next fender which is a little bit changeling since I have to plum all the fuel line for the tanks. Happy modeling everyone and thanks for all the great comments so far.
Chris

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
Very nice detail work!

I've been watching and will continue to watch
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 08:37 AM UTC
Well things are starting to progress pretty good so far, I’ve just started construction on the second fender with the fuel tanks. As you can see from the picture I used scale thickness plastic as the kit parts are just a tad bit over scale. Also the parts suffer from ejector pin marks and many mounting holes. The fuel tanks also lack the end mounting points and I felt the grab handles could be enhanced a little. Again add of a simple jig helped me construct the handles. All in all, it’s starting to look my like a tank now.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC
Well I just completed the rear fuel tanks with all new mounts and grab handles and even plumed one of the fuel lines. I would like so comments on how the fuel line looks so far? I’m sure I’ve could of went with an aftermarket part from mig or someone, but I’m trying to do everything myself with very little premade parts. The only aftermarket I plan to use is the new metal tracks I’m assembling right now and of course crew for the tank.
Chris

cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 07:24 AM UTC
The fuel lines look great. I like the way the mounts and grab handles came out, too. Do you happen to know off hand what gauge wire you used?

Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
Well the external fuel tanks are completed and mounted on the fender. Fuel lines are in the process of being plumed with .020 gage wire with plastic rod drilled out to slide over the wire to represent the rubber fittings. The front fuel tank’s grab handle was moved towards the side as seen in real life pictures and the missing fuel plug as added. Also I just got in the new tracks and are assembled and sitting in a solution of blacken-it. Not much more left to don on the last fender, then I can move onto other thing.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
Well everyone, I’ve manage to finish the second fender and have it mounted on the tank now. The fender was I little bit more of a challenge due to having to make all new mounts for the fuel tanks and plum the line for them. It was more trial and error in bender the copper wire and making the rubber couplings fit just right and not look out of place. For now the retaining location for the tow cables are being left open so I can pain the cable separate and installed once finished. Now I’m able to turn my attention onto the small details on the front hull and finish up the turret. I still have the flaps to mount to the fenders, but that’s going to be an easy task for me to complete. I plan to start painting the road wheel soon so I can make finial adjustments in the track length, I have them assembled but don’t want to finish the tracks until the wheel are fully put together. So far this build has been a real joy for me and I have run into any major problems yet other than having to make a few parts over again. I’m really glad everyone is enjoying the build so far and having positive feed back is helping me along to reach my finish goal. More to fallow soon!!!
Chris

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
hi cristopher

what a fantastic build! i love tha fuel tank handles & plumbing.cant wait to see more. great job fellow Texan!

Gary
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
VERY nice work. Keep it up, I am watching this thread with interest. I will use some of your work on my T-62 when I build it.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
Thanks for all the great comments from everyone!!!! This build has been a real joy for me and I’m glad I share it with the world. Once I’m finished with this build I’m going to be working both a T-80 UD mod. 91 and a T-80 UDK and the build will be along the same line as this one, I’m trying to build a serious of modern soviet tanks to take to an upcoming AMPS contest sometime this fall. I do want to put this T-62 on a small simple base with the idea of it running over a Georgian flag with the crew looking onto to a helpless civilian women trying to ward off the beast. Doug’s original makes a great civilian holding up a broom and thought I would add some light humor on a sad time.
Chris
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 11:09 AM UTC
question for you why did you rebuild the fenders what was wrong with the kits?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hey David, there was nothing truly wrong with the kit's fender. They were the right dimensions, just a little overscaled and the fender supports were miss shaped in some areas and the only major drawback of the parts are the many injector pin marks and mounting holes on the bottom of the parts. Out of the box build they would be perfect, just too much work fill and sanding, just quicker for me to rebuild them instead.
Chris
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
thanks chris for the info this kit is on my wish list all pending on my wifes mood can't wait to see how this is finshed
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
Your welcome Like I said it's not a bad kit at all, it just needs some improvements on it, it's worth the money. Besides ar there ever going to be any kits that are 100% correct? Probably not
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 06:03 PM UTC
Well just a very simple update for today, by far the easiest part I've made yet. Just finished adding the last of the rear fenders to the model, one side has the mounting points for the mud flap and the other side is damaged as to show a small piece of the fender missing with the support bracket still in place. Again the parts were just a bit thick and missing the support bracket on the underside. I also wanted to make some damage to the fender a bit. The weird thing is I have photos of different style mud flaps being used, some with straight truck style flaps and others with T-55 style flaps. Not sure if it’s just left over parts or what, but would make for something different to build.
Chris

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
Well I just started working on the turret today and I just ran into a design flaw in the kit. Some that has been overlooked by many people, but the periscopes for the commander’s hatch are not correct at all. Their undersized and not the correct shape at all. Nowhere in any of my references can I find anything the resembles what trumpeter made for the kit. Here is what the scopes should look like…….

Not like this…..

It’s giving me a headache to remedy the problem, a simple solution what be to install the scopes and close the hatch, but I intend to open them up to put crew in it. So I’m going to have to build all new ones with some modifies parts from my stash. I tried to use some of my left over scopes from other project, but nothing fits the bill straight from the parts bin. So some simple modification and a little imagination should fix the problem. I probably could pull parts from a T-55 kit, but I’m trying to limit my aftermarket parts. I just thought I would share this over sight with everyone.
Chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Chris, great progress on the build it's really shaping up and the super detailing is really expertly done.

About those periscopes, to me they look like clear inserts for a plastic kit part frame (Zvedza did this for example in their BMD-2). I haven't seen the sprues myself as I don't have this kit but it sure looks that way. Certainly would be odd if thats it...

If you want to make some easy periscopes though why not just get yourself a sheet of photo etch? Most Eduard sets for example have replacement periscopes, I'm taking some spare periscopes off an Aber T-55 PE set to make the periscopes in my BMP-2 interior. You could probably get a cheap sheet from Eduard or someone and just scavange the bits without having to spend too much.

By the way when are you going to start mounting that Slat armour?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hey Jon, actually I’ve manage to solve the periscope issue!!!! Yes your right, the parts are very similar to what is in the BMD-2 kit as I started working on it by the 62, the only difference between the two is the fact there is a slight frame around the top of the scope. I ended up taking some left over parts from a Marder III project and cutting the tops off of them and building new bottoms. The scope for the marder a just a bit too long and would stick out like a sore thumb. The scopes in the kit would be fine with the hatches closed, but seeing I plan to open them up I had to fix them. I could of used some photo etch parts, but this project was going to be a totally scratch built affair for me. Besides I’m not a real big fan of photo etch, just a pain in the butt to work with at times.
But from what you can see so far is I’ve added small bits and piece with in the hatch like on the real thing. Locking pin and handle for the hatch ring. A switch on the side of the ring used for the spot light, new spade grip for the central scope and some sort of locking devise mounted off to the side of the clamp for the scope. Towards the front of the hatch I added the missing bezel ring and wiper for the glass.
To answer your question about the slats, I’m not sure if I want to mount them now or during the painting stage. The armor for the hull is complete, but I’m not sure if I want to risk breaking them while handling the model and it would making painting a little bit easier for me.
Chris

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 05:16 PM UTC
Very nice work.

Could you offer any tips as to how you made the small parts? I always find these the most intimidating out of anything.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 06:15 PM UTC
Well Sean, a really good pair of tweezers, very sharp x-acto blade, good lighting and steady hands. I mostly be using testor plastic cement ( stuff in a paint bottle) to glue with as is dries smooth and if the parts are too small for the tweers, I use the pointy end of the x-acto blade to pick the part up with. It takes me a couple of tries making part as I loose them or just don't look right. I don't even use a magnifying glass to work with. I even have a block of wood that sits on my desk that is painted a grey primer color so the parts stand out more. I hope this helps some.
Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 06:20 PM UTC
oh yeh, one more tip, I tend to keep the plastic caps off of soda bottle a cheap from of work stand to use. I either put paint on the or supper glue instead of using it straight from the tube. Tooth picks also make a great source to apply supper glue to parts and don't cost too much and if too much glue builds up, just cut the ends off and you can continue working.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 08:13 PM UTC
Thanks!

Once I finish my T-62 I will try my luck with small parts on my T-72 builds...its always been my weakness

And keep up the good work!
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:10 PM UTC
I agree with Chris, when gluing small parts I usually put a blob of super glue onto a flat surface (bit of old plastic or something) and apply the glue with an x-acto blade.

Makes precise application much easier, and since I don't have a soldering iron it's my only choice for my PE, and those parts are REALLY small!
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hey Sean, here is another quick tip. If you are working with small parts and don’t feel like holding onto them the whole time with tweezers, you can always mount the part on some sort of peg. I find that a tooth pick, plastic rod or even a push pin works best for holding the part. Simply drill a small hole in the base of the part or lightly tack with super glue and now you have a simple handle to use while painting or shaping or even adding detail. I included a picture of what I’m talking about, simple and cheap. Yes there out tools you can buy on the market, but I don’t have all week to wait for something to come in the mail or feel like traveling to a hobby shop.
Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 04:53 PM UTC
Well everyone, here’s a little teaser of my new details on the commander’s hatch. After looking at pictures of the real thing and scratching my head some, the details and shape of the hatch was really starting to bug me. It’s a real shame it doesn’t look anything like this picture.

I had to widen the periscope openings to except my new part and built new protective covers for them. Also the port like thing which I’m guessing is for a signal flare or something was just poorly details, too shallow and long. So I built all new one from plastic and a homemade punch set. New grab handle was made from brass wire in place of the kit part. I then added the missing cast texture seen on the real deal with liquid cement.

Next up I had to work out the contours of the underside of the hatch as seen in this picture.

A paper template was made so I could test fit everything before cutting up plastic. Once I was happy with the result I proceeded to make a new ring from plastic with a couple of supports under it to provide a more stable working surface. Now I’m just waiting for the squadron green putty to dry before I can start sanding to shape. After that is done I can start adding the rest of the periscopes, looking handles and the rest of the little items to it.

I think next time I tackle this kit I will cast a copy hatch from tamiya’s T-55 or the detail set from cmk since their version is so much close to being correct in shape and detail. This may be a little bit of over kill, but since I’ve already put so much time and detail in the rest of the kit, why over look something so simple to fix.
Chris