_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Russian T-62 in Georgia
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
Hi everyone,
This is my first attempt at posting some of my work online, more or less trial and error. I'm currently working on Trumpter's T-62 mod. 62 with plenty of enhancements on it. I'm trying to model pictures seen of T-62 wearing bar armor during the invasion. I have tones of photos that I have acquired before started the build and I'm building everything from scratch as I take my pride and joy in knowing that I can make something myself instead of buying everything. Here are just few of the photos of what I will be trying to model. Any comments and ideas would be my appreciated, this is going to be an ongoing slow build as I tend to bounce from one project to another. I've started some of the build and as soon as I can find my camera I will post what I have built so far.

Chris

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 03:11 PM UTC
I'm onboard for this one!

Good luck building
leo1vtanker
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
Excellent choice! I'm very curious how you'll manage to build the slat. It's not to difficult but I never found some good images on the slat mounts.

Good luck!

Marcel
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Well I manage to find my camera and have taken a few shorts of my progression so far. Sorry if the pictures aren’t the best, I’m still trying to find the best lighting to us. As you can see so far I’ve enhanced to rear engine decking with some of my own parts made from evergreen and copper wire. I’ve also added to missing weld seems from to rear plate and filled in the mounting holes on the side of the hull for the fenders. The rear bar armor is my second attempt due to the first one being remove from my desk by one of my kids, oh well live and learn to keep thing out of reach from children. I’ve also started to scratch build new fenders from thinner plastic as the real one are made of sheet metal. The hull sponson for the turret was texture with mr. surface 500 to match the cast texture and missing weld seems were added using plastic rod and soldering iron technique. I also just received two goodies in the mail, sp design conversion kits for the T-80 UDK and the T-60 UD mod. 91, but that’s going to be for a later build. But for now I’m just trucking along with my 62.

dr_mazgan
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:00 AM UTC
Are T62s in Russian service used in the reserve units? It is such an old design used modern times with little sign of electronic / optical upgrades? Or am I wrong and it is 1st line?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:34 AM UTC
It is strange to see a T-62 still being used to this date, considering it’s over a half a century old technology. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find any information to which unit had used them if they were a first line unit or reserve component. I do know it depends on which military district made the invasion and what equipment they had in inventory at the time. Besides, the Russian weren’t about to haul around newer tanks from across the country when the most advance tank they faced off against was the T-72 and most of the fighting was contained within urban setting.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:56 AM UTC
From one Texan to another....during the conflict the 62's were id'd as reserve units. There were many pictures posted on Military.net at the time.

Thanks, Greg
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Nice model so far. Today I bought the same kit. And.. I was looking for pictures of the real deal and found the same shots and wanted to build it. And I'm not the only one

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
Well just a small update for today, things are progressing slowly here, but it’s getting done surely. I’ve finished building one of the new fenders with all the storage boxes and their mounts and new latch handles on the lids. I’ve even started working on the side bar armor to mount to the fenders. I’ve had to use some artist license on the mounts for the armor, but some logical guess work using pictures from a T-72 mount system. I’m trying to add the many missing weld seems from most of the kit parts. Also just made new crab handles to the side of the turret and touched up on the cast texture too. Hope you all like the work so far, welcome to any comments, any areas to improve on and things I might have missed so far.

53Buick
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Great work! What size are you using on the slat and fenders? Thanks, Ryan
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'm using .010x.060 and .020x.060 for the slat armor. The fenders are a mixture of .020 sheet and .010 strips and various other plastic for the bits and piece.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
For those who maybe interested in constructing your our bar armor, I would highly recomend making some sort of jig as the T-62 and T-72 have multiple panels to add. It took me a little figuring out the layout but once finished it made asembling the panels alot quicker
Chris

Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Chris!

Very nice en crisp build sofar! I follow your progress with great interest, keep it going!!!!
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:21 PM UTC
Great job on the jig!

Thank you, that will be most useful for another project I have...

Cheers,

Christophe
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
That conflict produced some every interesting images and the T-62 was one of them. The slat armor jig is very creative!

- Jeff
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Thanks for everyone's support. I tend not to build straight out of the box, not that the kits are bad, just like to improve on them. I did manage to find out more information on the unit that used and trying to research more into them.......russian 58th army. Once I'm finished this kit I plan to move onto skif's T-80UD with sp design update which should be another fun prodject to build!
Chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thats a great T-62 reference pic to build from. I've been thinking about doing a T-62M with Brow armour and slat myself recently.

Great to see someone else tackle the slat armour, and I agree with others that the jig is a great idea. Don't suppose you have the measurements for that do you?

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
Jon here are the measurements you asked for, sorry if they are not in metric as my ruler i'm using only has us standard on it. The jig could even be mofified to make the birdcage armor used on strykers and aslav or anyother kind of armored vehicle. From what I can tell is the same planel is used throughout the tank, just modified in some areas so that should make construction much more simpler. Hope this helps, let me know if you have anyother questions

Chris
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 11:51 AM UTC
Great job on the T62 Christopher!
Interesting that these T62's have the round loaders hatch normally associated with early production T62's but have T72 style track, normally assocaited with later production vehicles.. AND bar armour to boot!

I didnt use a jig when doing my T72, as I wanted the armour packages to look a little 'jerry built'. I also mashed the lower portions of the hull bar sets, as the shots I had showed these to be in pretty poor condition.

SD
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
Thanks Sam, I've love how your T-72 turned out as I have some of your pictures in my files for working on my T-62. I still plane to damage a few of the panels later on. It's just a pain in the butt to construct something so tedious. By the way is your T-72 finished, I haven't come across any pictures showing it complete or not?
Chris
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks Chris.

Nah not finished as yet, in fact its still exactly as you see in the pics. Laziness has taken hold im afraid!

SD
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks for that Chris, and don't worry we use inches here in Britain too! They tried to get me to use metric at school but just doesnt work for me.

inches feet and miles for me!

Sam nice T-72! Is that a T-72BM? Have you seen Guido Adorno's T-72BM over on Military modelling? Thats a real nice model.
http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=3975
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 10:09 AM UTC
Well a bit more of an update for today. I’ve manage to finish one of the new fenders and have it mounted now along with a new power conduit added for the horn on the side of the turret sponson. I even have some of the bar armor tacked in place to see how things are starting to look so far. Now I have the other fender to make with all new mounting hardware for the fuel tanks, pluming, and its own armor package to make. I still have a few more details to add to the rear engine panel and then I can move towards the front of the hull with a very special surprise installed. Than after that all I have left if finish the turret and then paint. So far so good, everything is turning out the way I hoped and then some. Thanks for everyone’s encouraging words; I’m glad you all like how things are turning out so far!!!

Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 03:09 PM UTC
Love it - all I can say now!
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts