Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 roofing
Hightower
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
Does anyone know of any links where I could get info on 1/35 roofing sheets, like shingles ? Or how to scrtch them. I am trying to add a small section to a Miniart kit, the ruined church dio. I am using Starbuck sticks (2) as main beams, and singles for the cross supports. but I would like to add shingles. Stuck on how.
Thanks for the advice.
jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC
sterling,dont know any sites for pre-built shingles...but you could probably look around on the forums and find many many ideas. Armorama is chalk full of them. But aside from that...the way i do roofing tiles is using polystyrene(dont know if i spelled that right) and cutting them to shape. pretty easy. you can find the stuff at your local hobby store most likely.

or ive seen cardboard used....never done it myself but i have seen it. here is one way to scratch..... www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=reply&forum_id=6&topic_id=160000&post_id=0&page=1

hope this helps a little....

Johnathon
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
Sterling,
I made mine from balsam wood,fairly easy to do. Don't have a photo of it rt now but can get you 1 tomorrow. Almost time for bed
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC
I would use thin cork would say 1mm it would look real Bill
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would use thin cork would say 1mm it would look real Bill

I don't know a lot about roofing in the States, but 1 mm cork would be a 3.5 cm thick roof covering (1.38 inch)!.

@Sterling, use cardboard, sanding paper with very a medium to fine grain or as i do mostly, plastic sheet (0.25 mm), cut to size.

Cheers
Claude
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 07:16 PM UTC
We might have something of interest to you.
We sell a sheet of laser cut shingles that will cover a pretty good sized area. They're very versatile in that you can customize the roof to show battle damage or misaligned shingles from age or neglect.
Here's a link to the page on our website:
http://www.monroeperdu.com/pgcart.pga?product=MPD052
Looks like you have to copy and paste, sorry.

Mike
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:31 PM UTC
TM Roof tiles sheet is available from Jadar hobby shop. Good rates and fast Times to USA I'm told.

Incidentally I'm building the same kit for the miniart campaign- why not join in http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=368
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hi

I'm not sure if "shingles" would be the right roof covering for a European church or building for that matter. Maybe its just a generic term you are using for roof tiles but I thought shingles was thin wooden pieces laid in the same way as slates, ovelapping, to form a roof covering.

I think in Europe you will find we tend to use things like slate and clay tiles in various shapes on most buildings, certainly in towns and cities. Lead sheet was also used, especially on churches were they had the money to do so years ago. Of course there are many old stories of this being stolen as its quite expensive, undiscovered until the first fall of rain

Alan
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:37 AM UTC
quote from Wikipedia

Shingle can refer to:

A flat covering element for a roof, including
Shake (shingle), a wooden shingle that is made from split logs
Roof shingle, a roof covering consisting of individual overlapping elements

So we are all correct i think :-)

Cheers

Claude

alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Claude

Thanks for the Wiki quote. Whilst I agree the definition used is a roof covering, and I've no problem with shingle being a type of roof, but the wooden tiles called shingles in the USA etc I'm sure isn't something you'll find much used in Europe.

Possibly in rural areas and maybe Eastern Europe, but even then straw thatching is more likely. I've yet to see a town or city building in Europe constructed with a wooden tiled roof, shingles as referred to in the US. Have you ?

I think if modelling a European building you'd be much safer from an accuracy point of view depicting it made from slate, stone or clay tiles than wooden tiles.

Alan
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC
Sterling,
Here is the simple roof that I made out of Balsam wood, cheap, easy to work with and quick, give an impression of wood slats on the inside and shingles on the outside. Sanded the inside to make it thinner
Photobucket
Photobucket
It was painted with several different colors of inexpensive craft acyclic paint watered down. hope it helps.
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 02:49 AM UTC
Just for some reference here.
While the shingles we sell may not be appropriate specifically for the Miniart kit because I haven't seen a pic of it, here's an image of a type of building they will work with. Whether slate, wood, or some other material, the way you choose to paint and weather them will be key.
This building is in a village just east of Paris, France.
Mike

jcourtot
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/376

sorry did a repeat link to this page....this is the one i was refering too.

Johnathon
Removed by original poster on 06/22/10 - 15:54:00 (GMT).
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
I have made some pretty realistic shingles by cutting out individual shingles from index card and carefully laying them down as a roofer would do. When I get lazy or want to save time, I use products from Plastruct or Evergreen. They are pre-made plastic sheets in patterns of shingles tiles etc. They are available in most model and railroad shops........Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 07:45 AM UTC
Just p/u a sheet of thin evergreen. Scibe half way through and snap apart to give that rough edge look. Glue and paint. I'm doing two roofs at this time and get 680 shingles per sheet. Time consuming but they will vary abit from the exact size as real slate shingles are a bit off from each other.
 _GOTOTOP