Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
british armour campaign
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
Darren: That's affirmative... I'll see what I can hunt down over here, and I'll post pics once I'm set.

Stanley: You really need to check out PMMS mate They should cover most of those kits.
The Tasca M4A1 is certainly the way to go, but the Dragon version is one of their newer kits if I'm not mistaken and should be pretty on the mark.
As for the MiniArt Dingos, well... you really don't need any reviews mate. They are literally such crackin kits that they've sold out like hotcakes since their release. Just pick the version you want and go with it
The T-70M is quite the model too, and has been made available in many releases. Best T-70 out there that I know of.
The Dragon Tiger II's, Panthers, and Panzer IV Ausf. F2 and J are very good as well.
If I remember correctly, Darren said that the newest Trumpeter Chally 2 has refined drive sprockets, but check with him to make sure. The fidelity of the Trumpeter Chally 2's is much higher than the Tamiya offerings.
Again, PMMS should cover most of the reviews for your list there
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

When we are talking British Armour here, are we talking Armoured Cars, Armoured Personnel Carriers as well as Tanks and Support Artilery?

Al
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

When we are talking British Armour here, are we talking Armoured Cars, Armoured Personnel Carriers as well as Tanks and Support Artilery?

Al

yeh definetly mate, next time i do a campign i need to make the requirements a bit more defined, lol
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi all,just enlisted. Gotta lot of British Vehicles in the stash. Will be doing some 1:72 scale stuff. Revell Cromwell and Revell reissue of Matchbox Priest, maybe more time permitting! Looking forward to seeing everyones builds.
Cheers,
Tim

Oh,will a British Priest be acceptable? Maybe not. I'll pick something else....
stansmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,just enlisted. Gotta lot of British Vehicles in the stash. Will be doing some 1:72 scale stuff. Revell Cromwell and Revell reissue of Matchbox Priest, maybe more time permitting! Looking forward to seeing everyones builds.
Cheers,
Tim

Oh,will a British Priest be acceptable? Maybe not. I'll pick something else....

yeh, sure. as long as it's been in british service then do it! sorry about the bad rules
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:04 PM UTC
Thanks Stanley, I picked up the priest earlier this year and have always wanted to to a british one,i picked up some nice british crew figures (the kit has only U.S crew) from milicast when i was in Glasgow a few weeks ago.
The U.K one in the kit seems to be from Italy, but i'm doing some research into doing one from North Africa,i believe they got them just before the second battle of El Alamein.Hopefully the kit version is the early one.
Cheers,
Tim
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 01:25 PM UTC
As some of my other projects are still in need of bits and pieces and ref information I am going to blog a build of Trumpeter's British Challenger 2 MBT (OP.Telic) Iraq 2003. My hope is it may attract some more interest and participants for this Campaign when it starts, and it may be of use to some of the members who are considering building one of these for the campaign. The first set of pictures will be put up in the morning.
stansmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 09:08 PM UTC
thanks mate. have you already got the tank? i was mabye thinking of doing one, how nice is the casting? any pin marks?
cheers stan
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC
So far I have only worked on the suspension and wheels, which was completed over the course of last night. All parts went together cleanly and located firmly in place with the minimum of clean up being required. Each side is made up of 25 parts not counting the wheels. As with all Trumpeter models there are push out marks but so far have all been in places which are not viewable.

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC
Just to prove I have not been idle here is another short update. I have filled the 4 hole in the tub floor, an easy task which just involved gluing a piece of plasticard inside and filling from the outside. I have made a start on the hull rear and front and as can be seen from the pictures some work will need to be done with the filler here but nothing overly drastic.

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC
Some issues that have that have arisen so far;
• Part number E25 should be listed as part E28.
• The 2 rear fuel barrels need to have their locating lugs removed to have any hope of getting the 2 halves aligned correctly.

Anyone attempting the new Challenger 2 will need to scratch the part in the picture below. I have included measurements to assist in this.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
Nice Darren, I'm looking forward to getting my hand on the two Chally II's and kitbashing them for this campaign. Looking forward to seeing what you find next
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
Part numbers C56 and C55 are shown in the instructions to be fitted on the wrong sides, these 2 parts are the arms for the wing mirrors. It should also be noted that if you are showing your model in action that the wing mirror arms will need to be cut in order that the mirrors lay on the vehicle. I didn’t find any other issues with the instructions but I did not follow the instructions when it came to attaching the 2 turret halves together. I highly recommend that parts D35 and 36 are attached at the time the 2halves are brought together, these 2 parts are the rear side panels of the turret and it makes getting the 2 turret halves aligned cleanly far easier.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 03:24 PM UTC
Good stuff Darren!

Regarding the antiskid texture that we were discussing a while back, another modeler on this site used a textured spray paint from Games Workshop that turned out very nicely on his 1/35 LeClerc. I am going to try this method with one of the Tamiya Chally II's I have sitting around, and I thought you may be interested in this technique. Hopefully GW paints are more affordable over there than they are here.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Just enlisted (#40!) Will be doing something modern-ish. Warrior, Challenger, AS-90, or maybe even an MLRS, always wanted to build a British one.

Jim
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 04:04 PM UTC
I had heard of the games workshop item but have not tried it as yet.
Welcome Jim I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
stansmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 07:56 PM UTC
once again darren, thanks for doing this.
is this going in adiorama or is it just gonna be left as a tank.

welcome aboard jim, do like the sound of the MLRS (do accurate armour make these?) also, the as90, pretty cool vehicle.
cheers stan
Maurice
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Joined a couple of weeks ago, finally received the kit I intend to build for this campaign. It will be a golden oldie:

Tamiya's Daimler Dingo Scout Car Mk.II (source pic: internet).

Does anyone know if the driver and the guy with the headset of this set: http://www.plasticmodelbouw.nl/?page=102138&action=product&id=9255948 will fit in the Tamiya model? Don't feel like doing a desert version of this vehicle.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
Stan it will just go onto a simple base as I don't have the room for too many dioramas, I am considering having the 3 Challenger 2's in a row on a segmented base.

Maurice I would be interested to know why you went for the Tamiya offering instead of the MiniArt offering.
Maurice
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
The price mostly, I don't have a big budget at the moment.

I won this kit on Ebay for a couple of euros, shipping it to my home from Germany was more expensive as the kit itself, whereas the Miniart kits, which will undoubtedly be better looking, would have set me back around 40 euros.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC
Thanks for that Maurice I thought it may have been something about the model itself and that's why I asked.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
I have now moved onto the turret fittings and encountered no problems until it came to attaching the side turret bins. The rear bin is a perfect fit but the two side bins have been designed by Trumpeter in such a way that they could be swung out from the body (I am unsure if they can on the real vehicle as I have never seen it), this has resulted in a poor fit on the model and took a lot of cutting and sanding to get even a reasonable fit. You have been warned.

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 06:12 PM UTC
Something that I forgot to add is that while the rear bin is an excellent fit it is not completly accurate as the tabs sit on the turret when they should butt up against the turret.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 04:56 PM UTC
I'm not entirely sure from the picture, but it looks like you fixed this on your build Darren?
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 04:47 AM UTC
Sorry for taking so long with this update as I have been a busy lad. Here is the kit so far which is all but finished construction wise. I have been checking the parts of this kit against the latest offering from trumpeter and I and glad to say that the turret at the very least is a much better design, having doe away with separate turret bins which will give you a much better finish.
All in all this is not a bad kit but it does require some forward planning and jumping about in order to get a reasonable fit of parts.

As can be seen there is a lot of touching up to be done but it is getting there.