_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
New Subscriber Forum
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,199 posts
Armorama: 821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 03:27 PM UTC
I see that here is a new Kitmaker forum dedicated to Kitmaker subscribers. What exactly is a Kitmaker subscriber, and how do I become one? I do not have access to the forum by just signing in regularly.
Thanks
Evan
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
Take a look at this thread Evan....

Subscriber
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
I just found out what it is.
$3.49 a month for an extra forum, badge, and photo storage (just use photobucket)
Don't think this is such a good idea. I really hope that this doesn't take away from the non-paying users. That would be a shame.
P.S. Not a personal attack of any kind Jim, just my thoughts on the subject.
Evan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 03:50 PM UTC
Evan,
The current range of added features is very small. At some point in the near future though I will add more as I can. The gist of it is that if you don't want to subscribe it won't really change your experience on the site (in its current form). Even the new photo management system I want to add will be available to non-subscribers. Subscribers will likely just have no limits on their personal gallery space. Or at least that an idea I am toying with. The caveat to that will be that off-site image hosting will likely be prohibited, so it won't work like Photobucket. More like Facebook.

Cheers,
Jim
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC
Sounds fair enough. I just want to make sure that the current features of this great site are not in jeopardy with the new subscribe option, and it seems that will not be the case. I like the idea of a new photo system, maybe like Track-Link? I know their set-up is not great, but something where you upload the image right to your post sounds like a good idea. Retooling the B/S/T would be helpful, too. It looks like some major improvements are ahead in the future. Keep up the good work! I'm still not sold on the subscribing myself, but I'll have to see what the extra features add up to in the end.
Evan
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 04:36 PM UTC
It's where we keep the dancing girls and beer......
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[...] The caveat to that will be that off-site image hosting will likely be prohibited, [...].

Well, from a marketing point of view that is very understandable and sheds a totally new light on the issue of subscribing. There were some very interesting suggestions by drabslab for aditional features on the other thread.

I'm looking forward to how this develops!

Cheers!
Stefan
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 12:16 AM UTC
I haven't signed up yet (but probably will...) but I do have some thoughts on the photo changes. I like the idea of keeping images here on the site rather than externally, but what about all the images already linked? Will those links still work, or will they get "red Xed"? And if I move my existing externally-linked images in-house to get them off photobucket will I be able to edit my old posts to re-make the requisite links? I know at present editing is off-limits, but at such a big change-over it would be very useful. (Perhaps it could be locked down to only allow editing of image links and not text?...)

As for price, $3.49 works out to the price of a medium-cost kit per year, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. (I pay more in club subs!)

Tom
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The caveat to that will be that off-site image hosting will likely be prohibited

For all users? Or only subscribers? If the former, do you think this may later serve as a deterrent to those not wanting to host their photos locally, but preferring a private hosting solution? (As private as Picassa, PhotoBucket, etc can be)

Curious to hear your thoughts on this, although I may mail you regarding this and a few other questions/concerns instead. Curious to see what the other bells and whistles are.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
Tom, that gave me an idea: How about subscribed members can edit posts in general (vs. the "normal" people who can't)? I agree with the points you mentioned as one will have to migrate photobucket pics to KMN.

Cheers!
Stefan
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about subscribed members can edit posts in general (vs. the "normal" people who can't)?

Disagree. One size should fit all when it comes to post editing. The current policy is there for a reason, and it's become standard across most forums (not only modelling).
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Annoying as it can be, the "no edits" rule has a practical use. I don't want to be able to alter the gist of my posts or take them all away if I have a strop. All I want is the ability to make sure I can maintain links to images if I move the image file. Ages ago when I first started here I made the classic mistake of posting full-size camera files that quickly filled my gallery. So, to keep adding new Campaign shots I had to delete a few of the oldies, leaving the dreaded red X where they had been in old posts. Of course, this crisis of space happened just when the editing was withdrawn...

(I since found PB, but I view that as temporary.)

Tom
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that gave me an idea: How about subscribed members can edit posts in general (vs. the "normal" people who can't)?

I'd go for something like that as well...

Rob
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The caveat to that will be that off-site image hosting will likely be prohibited

For all users? Or only subscribers? If the former, do you think this may later serve as a deterrent to those not wanting to host their photos locally, but preferring a private hosting solution? (As private as Picassa, PhotoBucket, etc can be)

Curious to hear your thoughts on this, although I may mail you regarding this and a few other questions/concerns instead. Curious to see what the other bells and whistles are.

Hi Rudi,
The off-site image hosting may be allowed at first. I will have to take a look at the cost of it bandwidth wise. It's also a drain on the server as well. My goal is to provide something that makes it uber-easy to upload and display photos in your profile, blogs, posts, etc.

Jim
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 08:33 AM UTC
Jim,

Are you saying it strains the system more to have images hosted off-site than in the KMN galleries? If so, then making it possible to host them all here is a must! $3.49 well spent.

However, if you want us to sort out existing ex-refs then the whole edit-rights issue becomes much more important. I'd happily pull all my pics off PB and lodge them here if it wasn't likely to leave a trail of dreaded red Xs.

How do you see it all working?

Tom
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Tom,
No the strain is on our server when people use our gallery or pull images from our sites to other sites. Actually pulling things from places like Photobucket is less strain on our server. However sometimes if Photobucket is running slow it's a problem for forum users as the photos come in slow, etc.

Thanks,
Jim
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
Jim,

How you NOT Subscriber #001?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC
Charles Reading beat me to it having paid for his subscription 2 years ago.

However I am also not user #1 in the database either (#2 also).

Cheers,
Jim
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom,
No the strain is on our server when people use our gallery or pull images from our sites to other sites. Actually pulling things from places like Photobucket is less strain on our server. However sometimes if Photobucket is running slow it's a problem for forum users as the photos come in slow, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

Ah, I think I get it now... Took me a while but I'm not a computer geek, so please forgive me... So it will still be possible to get pictures from other sites (such as PB) into KMN-posts, but not from KMN-Gallery to other sites. Right?

Cheers!
Stefan
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Tom,

Thanks,
Jim

Ah, I think I get it now... Took me a while but I'm not a computer geek, so please forgive me... So it will still be possible to get pictures from other sites (such as PB) into KMN-posts, but not from KMN-Gallery to other sites. Right?

Cheers!
Stefan

I hope you are right as I have a paid PB account as I use them in various other sites to post to.
I thought no strain at all as the pics are stored in their server and only come up when somebody hits them.
So not taking up space on here?

Correct?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
I've always been happy to support the site in any way possible. I just returned from 3 weeks of active duty at Ft. Leonard Wood and discovered the new 'subscriber' opportunity. Needless to say, I subscribed. Hopefully, I got in in time to still be in the first 100.
 _GOTOTOP