Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building the MiniArt Valentine Mk IV
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

As I built this one quite quickly for the purposes of tying in with the review:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/5466

At this point I'm going to call the build done. I added the rear tail light, this is shown on the instructions but no part number is given, it is located on spur C either part 24 or 26 I can't remember now as I didn't write it down.

I still have the Bren and the exhaust cover to add but I will hold off on those for now until I think about a possible crew and a suitable setting and same detail on any further weathering.

Has the build changed my thoughts on the kit. To a degree yes, I thought it was a cracking little kit when I reviewed it the only down side being the wheel issue, but that turned out to be an easy fix at least as far as spacing went.

It is a huge amount of fun to build, has excellent detail and you have opportunity to play a little if you like. The overall fit was excellent, the indi tracks very user friendly and the only real part to look out for is part C29 as this needs a good clean fit at the back of the hull but mine was a little warped.

Buy this one and enjoy it if you like, I'd have no porblem recommending it to anyone.

Here's how we stand at the moment.

Given time some alternative decal sets might come along and those would be useful.

Hope you enjoyed it and found it useful, and thanks to those who gave support along the way.

Cheers

Al

PS: I still have a set of Russian Cew Figuers if anyone needs them.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 05:18 AM UTC
This one has come together very quickly Alan and it is looking good so far, well done.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Very nice looking build. . I like the interior , very much the old school way of doing it. Being a lazy son of a gun I'll wait for Inside The Armour to do up the crew space and engine compartment....
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
Alan: I'm really liking how this has come out. I wasn't going to pick up the Red Army kit, but you have me rethinking my decision there.

Thanks for the tip on checking the references. I'm actually going to be building mine as a New Zealand unit, which may be an interesting story in itself.

Don't worry too much about the lack of comments and such. I think a lot of people out there like to watch builds, but don't necessarily post in them. I'm certainly enjoying your builds, and your taste in armor
daffyduck
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 04:04 PM UTC
Looks impressive Alan, good choice as there aren't many Valentines to look at on model sites....

Will be interested to see a crew with it!

Regards, Paul
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 04:49 PM UTC
Alan - great job! The Val turned out quite nicely and your blog was most informative. Looking forward to your next project.
cheers,
Terry
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 07:04 PM UTC
Al, I'm following with interest. It turned out great!

I know it's kind of depressing when no one answers but I can't write the same thing over and over again... In my case, once I've posted you can be sure I'm following.

Cheers!
Stefan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Thanks for dropping in and the comments. Yes, doing a blog can be a bit depressing at times.

Hi Jeremy,

If you are doing a New Zealand Unit then wait/get the Mk II with the sand shields. There are some excellent examples of NZ vehicles in Dick Taylors Valentine PhotoHistory which got reviewed here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/5418

Overall a cracking little kit and very good value for money given the additional crew figuers.

Paul,

I have some Hornet Crew figuers who might fit well with the kit plus the Wee Friends Policeman and Naughty child , well when I find his other arm!!:D

Glad you all found it useful.

Al
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
That is a beauty Al, and great to see one finished 'in Britain' rather than in the desert. Another one to add to your shelves groaning with great brit builds
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
Super little model Alan. I'll certainly be looking out for one at the Newark show next month.

As for not replying - I don't know how you do it, but you build quicker than I can keep tabs on the interweb!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi Chris and Neil,

Thanks for looking in and the support throughout the blog.

Neil, I had some hols from work and SWMBO was away, so I had time on my hands to get on with this one.

Cheers guys.

Al
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
This is a really lovely build Alan! Not usually my area of interest but I love the look of this tank, and I really love your paint finish on it. In my opinion this is certainly your best model to date, the subtle weathering looks excellent.

On a note about blogs-I think its a real shame that more people dont comment and get involved. Considering a lot of the interest with this kit im surprised more people havent written something. One thought I have is that the site should have a forum dedicated purely to blogs, id like to know what other people think of that? It seems blogs can get pushed down under all the other discussions and lost.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Rob,

Many thanks, appreciated. There were a couple of firsts for me, making the basket, which was quite fun and I'm pleased with the paint colour too, it was the colour I wanted for the Churchill but it's slightly more khaki looking. The other real plus was finding an easy fix for the wheel gap issue as it presented the possibility of a slightly odd looking vehicle and was my biggest concern.

It's a bit bright at the moment and much 'cleaner' looking than my normal tanks. It was also good to do a UK training tank as that's what a lot fo these were used for and the early war period is an interesting one.

I want to do some more work on the exhaust, not normally much of a feature on Allied Tanks and I might replace the fire extinguisher with a resin one I came across for better detail. I've got some Hornet crew that should fit well and I'l like to include the Wee Friends Policeman and naughty child so a few ideas of presentation starting to form.

MiniArt have done a cracking job, and the partial interior, full gun breech are a big plus. That' s the sort of additional detail I'd like to see some of the other manufacturers adding as standard, makes for a much more interesting build and solves a lot of the open hatch problems, it was also what sparked the have a go at a basic interior path I set off on.

Thanks again and glad you enjoy thed build.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks impressive Alan, good choice as there aren't many Valentines to look at on model sites....

Will be interested to see a crew with it!

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

These are the crew that with a bit more work might do for the kit and the setting I have in mind. The base is a generic one I quickly painted for a review article.

The chap carrying the cans is a Resicast offering and the other two are Hornet figuers.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
The crew with a bit more work done.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 12:21 AM UTC
This is the Lakeman mount for the Bren:

One thing MinArt seem to have missed is the gripping handle that was added to the LHS lower end of the Bren. I will add one from an old Tamiya Bren once the 'springs' have set.

You'll need to take care when working with these parts and an eye glass or magnifier will help to to indnetify the small fittings on either end of the springs. Also when removing the bren be careful I smapped the small resting stand off but have glued it back on.

Al
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Nice work on the figures Alan
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 01:40 AM UTC
Coming along nicely Alan I must say it is an ugly tank aswell Keep the good work coming.

Jaymes
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

Many thanks.

Hi, James,

Yes, maybe ugly is too strong a word but it certainly is odd looking The two man turret also adds to the look.

Last of the fittings getting sorted out. The 6 small PE arms on the exhaust cover and the Bren with the mag and bi-pod on.

With the Lakeman mount perched on top and the exhaust cover fitted.

I want to see if I can do a blistered paint effect on the exhaust cover, might work - might not

Al
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 08:28 AM UTC
Al: Thanks for the tip on the upcoming Mk II, and the book you reviewed. I think you just saved me from making a mistake

I'm looking forward to seeing how your blistering effect comes out. Make sure that you share your technique with us so that we can know what to do, or not to do as the end results determine
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy,

So am I .

Enjoy the build when it comes.

Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
I noticed you did not apply the bullet splash sections (angle iron - angle point upwards) which come in the kit. Did this mark not have them? Which marks did have them?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 09:27 PM UTC
Hi B,

Which part numbers are you referring to?

Thanks

Al
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hello there Alan, this one is coming together very well.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I believe they are on sprue C nos. 38 - 43. They are bullet splash sections for the turret. One V shaped piece for front center and 4 other short straight sections to make up the remainder.