_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML Pz III N w/ Winterketten Blog
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC
As a follow-on to my In Box Review, I'll be keeping a build log here on DML's kit #6606. The project will be OOB with the possible exception of some generic tool clamps used, have to see how that shakes out when I get to that point.

More to come as the build gets under way.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
Waiting to see this one.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:58 AM UTC
Bill, I've got this kit on the short list in my stash so I'll be watching this closely. Have fun with it!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC
Following...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hey!

I'm in, too!

I don't (and probably won't) have this one, but I did recently get that Dragon Pz. III N with schurzen kit- it's likely to be very close in most ways to this kit, I should think, both being ausf N and both being recent smart-kits. I would suppose much of what you find and do here should apply to my N (or at least I am hoping so!).

One question: do both of these N kits use the same hull? If I understand right, some N were built from L, some from M, and (maybe?) some from another ausf? So some N had the side escape hatches and some not, right?

Bob
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't (and probably won't) have this one, but I did recently get that Dragon Pz. III N with schurzen kit- it's likely to be very close in most ways to this kit, I should think, both being ausf N and both being recent smart-kits. I would suppose much of what you find and do here should apply to my N (or at least I am hoping so!).

One question: do both of these N kits use the same hull? If I understand right, some N were built from L, some from M, and (maybe?) some from another ausf? So some N had the side escape hatches and some not, right?

Bob,

The 3 DML Smart Kits available that cover the Ausf N are close relatives of each other. The hull in this kit is the early L hull with the side hatches while the kit you have w/ Schurzen has the M hull without the hatches. Aside from the other M-specific features like the air intakes and deep-wading mufflers/exhausts, the kits are virtually the same. I had a chance to review that kit as well and have built the III N for N. Africa so expect that you're right about the similiarities by following along with this build.

The N's were built using either L or M hulls depending on when they were constructed before Pz III production halted entirely in 1943 in favor of StuG production. It was earlier thought that some Js were also used but that has since been disproven as they were actually early L hulls and that's essentially what DML is representing here with this kit.

HTH!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
I'm I fan of both short-barreled Panzer III/IV variants and Winterketten, so I'll definitely be watching this.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
Perfect timing Bill! i picked this kit up a month or two a go when i took my girlfriend to the LHS for her first time (she encouraged me and was the one to pick it out!) I also picked up some Woodland Scenics snow. Let it rock!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perfect timing Bill! i picked this kit up a month or two a go when i took my girlfriend to the LHS for her first time (she encouraged me and was the one to pick it out!) I also picked up some Woodland Scenics snow. Let it rock!

Sounds like the GF is a keeper Jon!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sounds like the GF is a keeper Jon!

I second that!
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 07:45 PM UTC
Great to see another Pz III in your hands Bill. I must say your builds are very useful and myself I took a look few times to get things sorted out on my pz III . I will be following this one closely. A closer look on the new tracks would be very appreciated (I'm sure you have already thought about it ) Did you already decide which technique for winter camouflage will you choose?

spit
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC
Pawel,

Glad to hear the other blog is helpful for you! I'm not settled 100% on a method for the whitewash just yet...but some methods are out of bounds for me like the hairspray technique since I work with enamels and not acrylics.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
Good man Bill. Another Pzr III build for me to follow. Can never get enough of them!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
So what are we waiting for Bill?!:) Aren't you finished yet?
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So what are we waiting for Bill?!:) Aren't you finished yet?

Jesse,

The holiday weekend starts tomorrow for me so that's when the starting gun will fire.

hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 10:25 AM UTC
I look forward to watching this one progress!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
Nice advanced notice!

I'll be dropping in to check on your latest build log, you always have some new assembly or paint idea that I usually try and add to my builds. BTW nice review.

-Eddy
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC
Got my beer chilled already, can't wait Bill. Should be another masterpiece my friend.

Cheers
Rob
www.scratchmod.com
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC
Love the Mark III's Bill,looking foward to it.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys for all the interest, the gun has sounded and the build is underway!

The build started where it usually does with DML kits, Step 1 deal with the assembly of the road wheels, idlers, sprockets, and return rollers. I didn't follow the step quite 100% since it also calls for the sprockets to be added to the final drive housings and for the idlers to be installed onto their mounts, those elements will be added later. I removed the mold seam on each of the road wheel and return roller halves with a sanding stick prior to their assembly. For the idlers, the kit includes PE inserts to accurately create the rims on the real thing and these inserts were added using liquid glue prior to the idler halves being assembled as directed.

Step 2 begins the work on the lower hull. The hull tub has three prominent stubs on the top edge that need to be removed to avoid problems later on when it's time to mount the fenders. The instructions never indicate this is needed so it's a good thing to take care of at this point vs. waiting until later. This step adds the side escape hatches and their hinges as well as the fender support brackets to both sides.

Step 3 deals primarily with the suspension elements including the torsion bars that are installed on both sides. It's important to insure the bars are aligned properly to avoid having the suspension go out of alignment, so you have to be careful to use the right parts for the respective hull side and make sure that the ends are properly keyed inside the hull to their install points to avoid issues. All of the swing arms were added without problems along with the front and rear shock absorbers and bump stops. The front hull plate, part D11, was also added and it's easy to overlook this if you aren't paying too close attention and are too heavily focused on the suspension process since the step shows it already in place. It's best installed before adding the B13/B14 inserts for the final drive housings to avoid space issues with its fit.

I also went ahead and added the final drive housings and idler mounts to both sides to round out the day's efforts. Even these aren't installed until Step 5, that step also calls for the installation of all the wheels, sprockets, and idlers so it made since to get it out of the way now.

Day 1 of the 4 day Labor Day weekend has shown some good progress. Let's see what Day 2 brings!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC
love seeing your builds on here Bill, it really gives the novice builders the inspiration to keep going and to not be afraid to try new techniques, will be watching this one with keen interest, as i've followed some of your previous builds which turned out stunning by the way so i know what to expect from this one
Ant.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi Bill ...I'll be keeping an eye on this one as I've got an N sitting here staring at me( Shutzen Version ) I'm sure I'll learn a lot from your build..
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks Ant and Richard, appreciate the comments! Hopefully Day 2 will be equally or more productive than Day 1...not often I get an extended dedicated period of time to devote to a build so I intend to make the most of it.

I too have the N w/ Shurzen kit in the stash Richard, can't ever have enough Pz III kits on hand IMHO, it's one of my favorite vehicle classes because it offers so much diversity potential spanning the full WW2 time frame.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC
Looking good Bill. I really like your way of making blogs with abundance of comments which are mostly helpful. Waiting to see more progress.

Spit
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
I agree with Pawel. A picture can be worth a thousand words, but only if you know what context to put it in so that you can understand the story it is meant to tell. Your text balances this out nicely Bill.
 _GOTOTOP