_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Masterbox: LRDG Figures In-Progress
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Masterbox Ltd.have just sent us a series of images of their latest W.i.P. This set should have been done years ago (considering the interest in the subject). but, as is often said, some things are worth waiting for!

Specifically for this kind of Report, as the company follow the discussions here very closely, all comments and suggestions will be both welcome and useful to them.

Images of their latest In-Progress project can be seen here.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
Very nice!
I would assume those guys would have been digging their machines out of the sand a bit more often that we can imagine..
The officers would obviously have something more important to do, Sparks an instant "deja vue".
let's have these, very quickly please....
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 01:35 PM UTC
They certainly look like they'll find a few homes in some dioramas, nice to see the officer isn't drinking tea.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC
These look like a grand set of figs, more excellent news and long overdue.

Glad to hear a Vickers MG crew is finally underway.

Good for them.

Al

Edit, looking at the officers heads they might be separate items, that would be interesting.
JasonD
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC
Given the recent comments on this forum about MB's heads these look superb, full of animation and sharp detail. Well done MB.
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC

At last, this is a subject well over due, can see a couple of boxes of these coming my way upon release. I'll keep my LRDG Cheve in it's box for now. Well done Masterbox.....

Jason
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
They do indeed look very nice - I'd say that they are a mix of SAS/LRDG - the officers look like the classical SAS jeep crew pics - so I'd hazard a guess that's where the inspiration came from for these.

Loving the Chevy crew - a nice mix of clothing a characterful, too!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Good to see them in plastic I suppose but the officers wearing the keffiyah are a little cliched at ths stage I think.

I would also remove the webbing straps on the troopers I haven't seen much evidence of them being worn by LRDG troops- (Cue for someone to post pics proiving me wrong)

Quoted Text

I would assume those guys would have been digging their machines out of the sand a bit more often that we can imagine..
The officers would obviously have something more important to do

There's a great movie "Sea of Sand" about the LRDG with a scene where a regular officer along for the ride stands by while the troopers push a truck out of the sand. Afterwards the LRDG officer tells him "Everyone pushes"
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the officers wearing the keffiyah are a little cliched at ths stage I think.

Couldn't agree more - i'd try and go for more variation in the headgear - the knitted cap looks excellent for example...
Halaci
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Oh, it's a great news, I will have crew and staff for my two car convoy. Changing at least one of the standing figure's cloth to something warmer (trouser, wool coat) would also be a nice diversity, but I won't hesitate to buy it if it will remain in this form.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Many have also asked specifically for figures which portray the tasks which take up 90% of a soldier's time.

That's certainly me, and I applaud MB for doing this kind of thing. The vast majority of the time, even on campaign, soldiers are NOT fighting but doing other things ("why stand when you can sit down? why sit when you can sleep?").

Now, if only they can extend this to German infantry flaked out under a tree or beside the road?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good to see them in plastic I suppose but the officers wearing the keffiyah are a little cliched at ths stage I think.

I would also remove the webbing straps on the troopers I haven't seen much evidence of them being worn by LRDG troops- (Cue for someone to post pics proiving me wrong)"

- Depends on how near the action you are!! It would be good to have some road watchers and a few shirt-less folks too but these are very good news.

Al
Fireflymodels
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC
I think posters are correct, the headress is a cliche - more often they would be wearing woolen comforters, caps, berets, or even kepi's

Good to see them though, I just wish Tamiya would re-release their chevvy kit as even in its old format it can be modelled quite effectively.

The numbers of emails asking if I can get that kit are astonishing, I could have sold hundreds in the last 6 months alone. I think its quite a shock when modellers fancy the kit then see its £40 on Ebay!!!
spearhead21pz
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC

I will get a set of these then I will have to buy a LRDG Cheve too. MB is coming up with some great figures.
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 06:24 AM UTC
I was thinking the same thing about Tamiya re-releasing their kit. This is a must have set for me - Masterbox really does seem to know the market place and give modellers what they want!
Negrillo
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
LRDG = No webbing straps or gaiters !
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 10:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LRDG = No webbing straps or gaiters !

I thought that but in this photo the guy bending down is wearing the cross straps
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At last, this is a subject well over due, can see a couple of boxes of these coming my way upon release. I'll keep my LRDG Cheve in it's box for now. Well done Masterbox.....

Jason

Me too!
Negrillo
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC
LRDG - use of webbing cross straps more the exception than the rule though.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 05:10 PM UTC
Excellent!!!! I have an old SAS jeep from Tamiya that needs a crew...those two officers with the keffiyah are perfect for that. The LRDG figures look great...especially the driver...what great facial expressions. A very cool set and a must have.

Jeff
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hey these are an impressive first look! I'm liking the figure holding up the PSP (?) but if MB are listening, I'd change the shoveller's right hand to as grip on top of the shovel handle as opposed to the end.... The shown position may be useful for finesse, but if you are using the shovel to full load capabilities you wouldn't want your hand there as you drive into the sand with the shovel head; one very bruised or blistered palm would result... Oh, and I wouldn't be happy being the only shoveller looking around at the other figures!
Brad
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 11:00 PM UTC
Quite frequently seen in contemporay photos are (locally acquired) sheepskin jackets or jerkins. As i've seen MB doing these before (very convincingly) that might be an idea to give a bit of variation?

The previous comments are correct - i've rarely seen webbing on any of the archive photos i've collected over the years...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
I think all the pics I've collected up show the LRDG chaps is a base or desert partol location. True standard webbing is not evident in these pics but I do not have any showing them actually fighting and I'd bet my bottom dollar that skeleton webbing would have been worn in ground actions.

What is equally surprising, as is the welcome arrival of these chaps, is that no one every challenged Tamiya and their 30 cwt Chevy. They have dominated the plastic market with this truck for how long? 30 plus years lol, lol.

When they recently released yet another limited edition run this time with the Italeri Breda they had a great opportunity to introduce a new tooled vehicle. Then again with no one else making one why change it if it ain't broke

Al
 _GOTOTOP