Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What if Campaign?
Wolfsangel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC
Jeremy, Gary, Thanks for the extension.
Love the "Out-There" builds! A ChurchTiger! Who'd have thunk?! Nice Richard. The ReichsMerkava is definitely a cool idea J.
I'm a little more Vanilla in my build. A Sgt. York Air Defense System that actually works.
I have a pile of parts at present so I'll try to post some pictures of the actual build this time.
Charlie
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC
Aloha All:

I've been making slow progress with all the different bits and pieces. Next is to put a wash on the interior and then the canvas top and sides, then the "luggage rack". Somewhere along the way I need to figure out the tack for the horses. Anyway, this is where it is now.

Also, does anyone know about these MRE boxes: This is from J's Works Combat Rations 3 and it appears the MRE part is printed on the bottom, instead of the top. I'm just curious, as I intend to use them anyway...

Happy Modeling, -zon
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
Richard: Congrats on finishing! It would be interesting to see how they would address the weight issue of the Tiger components.

Charlie: Get those photos up ASAP!

Zon: Oh yeah, I can just see it coming together *insert mad scientist laughter here*! No idea about the boxes..
tinbanger
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 11:52 PM UTC
Thank's Jeremy
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
Jeremy: Thanks!! Jeff S (pantherF) and I figured out that the box is printed "up-side down". I put a comment in the review thread. My mom comes next week, so she can take the kids. Hopefully I will get a bunch done then!!

Happy Modeling, -zon
centurionmkv
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hey Jeremy,

Is it too late to start/finish a build?

I joined this campaign when it first started but other projects took precedence. Now I am ready to come back and tackle it.

Cheers!
+Y.C.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:38 PM UTC
Y.C., absolutely! Just make sure you get it down by the extension date!
centurionmkv
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:39 AM UTC
Extension? Cool!

When is does the extension time out?

+Y.C.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Extension? Cool!

When is does the extension time out?

+Y.C.

End of June.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 01:24 PM UTC
Aloha all,

Small progress here. This is my first time doing the diluted white glue and tissue paper canvas top. I'm not completely happy with it, but not totally dissatisfied either, and since a cargo rack will go above it, I will leave it in place. Hopefully the rolled up flaps will cover the sucky bottom edge on the sides.

Now to finish the gargo rack.

Happy Modeling, -zon
centurionmkv
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi All!

I am just "done" with my Centurion Mk.11 build (see Constructive Comments forum) and wanted something that is more relaxing. Nothing beats making what-if tanks.

My original proposal was to build a more "accurate" E-50 tank. I had an earlier post where I wanted to mate a Porsche King Tiger turret with the E-50 hull. The Porsche King Tiger turret came from a resin update for the old 1970's Tamiya King Tiger kit and was a bit off dimensionally to match the modern E-50 kit. So I am scrapping the idea of using the King Tiger turret entirely.

I do not play WoT but have noticed all the recent fascination with the French AMX-50 post-war prototype series of tanks. So, I decided to model hypothetical vehicle that inspired the AMX-50.

The back story behind my build is that the French recovered the semi-built E-50 hull from an undisclosed workshop in Germany after WWII. Since the French were working on the ARL-44 and AMX-50, DEFA decided it will be prudent to complete the E-50 using surplus King Tiger and Panther drive train components and a Ford GAC engine (used to power the T29 heavy tank prototype) as a one-off proof of concept. A Panther turret was fitted to the chassis as lots of surplus Panther turrets were available immediately after WWII.

This vehicle was completed around 1949 and was secretly shipped to Indochina (Vietnam) in an effort to test heavy tanks in a tropical jungle environment and also in response to the Chinese obtaining JS-2 tanks from the Soviets.

Anyway, here is my progress:

My Panther turret came from an update/correction set for the old Tamiya Panther Ausf.A. The dimensions are pretty accurate . Since I previously scribed the turret ring to accommodate the Porsche King Tiger turret, I simply mated the spare plastic ring with the Panther turret to make it it fits the E-50 hull opening:

This is what the mated hull and turret looks like:

I couldn't decide on which mantlet to use. Both of these came from my spare parts bin. I wanted to build something unconventional and I am in favor using the chinned Panther mantlet. On the other hand, the regular mantlet fits better.

Now I only have to find a Panther 75 mm barrel.

Cheers!
+Y.C.
centurionmkv
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hello All!

More updates for today. I must say, the Trumpeter E-50 / E-75 kits are among the easiest to assemble model kits I have ever worked with. I attribute this to the very simplistic roadwheels / suspension arrangement. I typically hate working with roadwheels but this one only have six per side. Furthermore, the parts fit is good throughout, although detail is a bit on the heavy side. After my AFV Club / Accurate Armour Centurion Mk.11 kitbash, this is indeed a relaxing build.

Anyway, here is today's update. As you can see from an overall picture, things are falling together rather quickly. The resin turret I discovered came from Armor Research. They made a correction set for the OLD Tamiya Panther Ausf.A kit, primarily to fix the oversized turret. The Panther mantlet came from Cavalier's zimmerit set for the Italeri Panther Ausf.D kit. The 7.5cm cannon came from a DML Panther Ausf.D kit (I used the kit's aluminium barrel, so the plastic barrel is left over.)

Here is the rear three-quarter view of the model. Notice how small the Panther turret is in relation to the E-50 hull.

One thing I noticed, the Trumpeter / Cromwell models rendition of the E-50 has the flimsiest suspension ever for a battle tank. I seriously doubt the suspension can stand up to the rigors of combat. The roadwheels could very well bend under the weight of the tank!

The Trumpeter kit's tracks are simply horrible. I decided to use an old Accurate Armour Tiger II transport track set since the sprocket is compatible (it came from the Panther II it seems).

Here is an up-close view of the mantlet and turret. Notice the zimmerit on the mantlet. My story is that the turret was cobbled together from WWII scraps and I am sticking by it!

Also, the turret needs some clean-up but I am not ready to tackle resin dust tonight.

Finally, what is this??? A Centurion Mk.1 turret on the E-50???

Well, I have a built Accurate Armour turret on the side. I am very pleasantly surprised that the turret ring has the same diameter as my E-50 kit's!

This would indeed be a "what-if" of a "what-if" of a "what-if" tank. I am sticking with the Panther turret though since that is what I planned initially.

Again, I am not planning to mate the Centurion turret with a E-50. I will build the Accurate Armour resin kit later-on.

That is it for tonight! More updates next week.

Cheers!
+Y.C.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 04:09 PM UTC
Y.C., I prefer the Centurion turret to be honest, keep up the good work!

We have about half a month left to work, I want to see everyone's work com to fruition so lets get our builds finished gentlemen!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 04:18 PM UTC
Nice work but did you have to go and mention the AMX-50?

I want it to be released in styrene soon so come on DML!!! Make us happy for a change! (jest skiddin')

Seriously, some good kit bashing going on here!

~ Jeff
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hey guys

I have the 3 color AusCam colors on my Leopard 2, I plan on doing the clear coat and decals tomorrow.

Pictures soon

Cheers,

Paul
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 08:25 AM UTC
Paul: Looking forward to it!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 03:00 PM UTC
Just fyi there are going to be a few changes with the KitMaker Network,

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/11870

Keep working on your builds everyone and I will grant a grace period to accommodate these changes. Model on!
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 02:33 PM UTC
Aloha:

Progress is slooowwwww... I really hope I can finish this. Anyway, the cargo rack is done. I have to re-do the canvas top as the paper shrank and pulled the front and rear stays toward the middle.

Happy Modeling, -zon
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:13 PM UTC
Zon, do as much as you can and keep up the good work!
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
Jeremy: thanks! Hopefully this weekend I can get a sustained effort on it and at least finish construction on the truck and horses, then paint next week.

Happy Modeling,- zon
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:40 PM UTC
Zon ... Dude seriously cool man a heap of work there and the results specks for themselves .
Really looking forward to this finished .

Phill
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 05:48 PM UTC
Phill: thanks, man!! Now I just need End of Days 2 to start so I can one-up myself and add some firepower!!

Happy Modeling, - zon
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Phill: thanks, man!! Now I just need End of Days 2 to start so I can one-up myself and add some firepower!!

Happy Modeling, - zon

Totally agree .. can't wait for EOD2 to start .. what i have in mind is nasty and not packing huge fire power but still more than enough to defend it self .
What will get you is a couple of things i am adding to it ..course you know me so you know i ain't telling jack doo doo about that
Trust me ..this thing will leave my first EOD machine way behind

Phill
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 08:58 PM UTC
Zon...Nice work,Bub.The racks look sweet.Jeff T.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 12:08 PM UTC
Phill: sounds good. Can't wait to see what comes out of that noggen of yours!!

Jeff T: thank you my friend!!

Happy Modeling, -zon