_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hobby Boss Land Rover Defender WMIK
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 03:47 PM UTC

Here is Hobby Boss new Land Rover WMIK I just got in the mail on Friday and already put together, ready for some paint. This is an absolute gem of a kit and will definitely be building another one very soon. Hopefully HB will follow up with more release of this truck, maybe a soft or hard top would be great since there is also civilian possibilities for these vehicles. The only real let down in the kit were the vinyl tires and chunky weapons, but more on the later. This kit builds up rather fast as I just finish build it a few hours ago. I had to use directions off line since my copy had some miss prints on it that a couple of steps could not be read.

First up was the engine, no real problems other than an alternator is missing from it. This should be an easy fit with either scratch built item or something pulled from the spare parts bin. The frame was next to tackle, this builds into a solid piece with all four tires flat on the ground. The frame it’s self is a two part affair and needs some filling and sanding. Hopefully someone will come to the rescue with after market replacement wheels. I had problems in the past with other HB kit and not getting any paint to stick to their vinyl tires. The only real problem I ran into on this whole kit was the transfer case had no positive location for mounting it to the frame. With the engine installed, locating the case and drive shaft is much easier which the directions do not talk about.

The body was next to build which had no fit problems at all. I built this per the directions with only two changes to this area. First I left off the frame for the diver’s seat since most of the photos on the net show this part not being installed. The other change was to move the rifle rack from the horizontal position the vertical position since this seems to be one of the flaws in the kit from most of the forums I have read. I just made a simple base for the rifles and added head pads to the clamps.

From here the roll cage is built up with just a few parts left off to painting easier. The one change I made was to add the spare tire mount to the side of the cage. From everything I could dig up, it talked about the tire being moved from the hood to the cage since the hood could not support the weight of the tire if it was slammed shut.

The dash was next with just the plugger and nav display left off for paint. The pintle mount was installed with just the GPMG being replace with a L7 from Dragon’s modern USMC set.

The front of the truck gets built up in left and right fender with equipment for the engine compartment. One of the discussions that popped up on other sites was the radio antenna base was from an older radio set and should be larger. I’m no expert on this truck and did not really feel like messing with it, so I just left it as is. Another thing that seems to be missing is the camo net storage basket on the hood. I just left this item off and will attempt it on another build later.

Last up was the .50 cal and last bits to add to the truck. The supplied gun in the kit was a chunky lady and decided to replace it with one from AFV Club’s stryker upgrade kit. I know the pintle mount supplied by AFV is not 100% correct, but it just looked a lot better to me. There appears to be a couple different styles of mounts for the .50 and just made the best I could. It would have been nice if HB supplied the pintle mount separate from the gun, but everything is molded as one.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 03:56 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing this, I am very interested in this kit and am following your build
SSTRATTON
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 10:25 PM UTC
I have this one in my stash and will be following your build with interest.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC
This is a brilliant blog, thanks for this!

I was only looking at my kit yesterday, the first thing that jumped out at me was how bad the GPMG's were, horrid,. The 12.7mm and the SA.80's didnt look great either!
I'm not really worried though, I've no shortage of these in the spares box..

The vehicle itself looks very impressive, I've built a number of the AA one's (infact still have one in my stash) and they look very good in comparison!

This is indeed a fab kit, bravo Hobbyboss, cant wait for more of these Landy's!

keep up the good work Christopher!
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC
Thanks evryone for showing interest in the build. Thought I would share this since it has been on the list of things that people have been wanting for a while.

The weapons are really no big deal, just swap them with some fnew ones rom the parts bin for a quick fix. However I don't have great access to British figures, weapons, or equipment here in the US and it seems that AA is about the only one in town right now that have decent modern Brit soldiers on the market unless I'm not aware of any others out there.

Hopefully some companies like legends or evolution will come to the rescue with some stuff for this kit.
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 12:38 PM UTC
Thank you Cristopher....This is very informative and useful as well...Good luck...
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 05:38 AM UTC
I can't believe I missed this thread. Looking good so far.
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 06:44 AM UTC
Looking realy good mate im in the middle of doing my 1st one in NATO green.
One thing with the kit which is wrong is the rear gunners seat which is on the wrong side it should be on the nearside behind the passanger seat.
Where the seat is placed at the moment on the real vehicle is a radio table.

Keep up the good work mate Neil
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
Here is a pic of the seat positon and radio table,one of my kit and 1 of the real thing.

barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
both models coming along well. nice to see the radio table going in
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
thanks guys for checking this build out.

Neil I have also notice the seat was on the wrong side, but did not want to tackle it this time. Next build I will make some improvements and some minor changes to the back bed.

By the way does anybody know if the British army is still using the CIP panels? The kit comes with one but not the best in the world and I have not seen many pictures with them installed.
barny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
hello sir.
chp panel were initially used during gw2 but havent been used for a while.
electronic methods used now.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:42 AM UTC
I really do like the look of these kits and can't wait to get one. Seen a lot of builds starting up and love the detail folks are adding, yours included. Lots of useful detailing to follow if and when I get a chance to build one.

Will be following.

Landies do have a lot of appeal.

Nige
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
that looks great....definitly on my list of "must do"....

Can't wait to see it painted.
r2d2
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 07:58 AM UTC
Looks good mate!
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Christopher i have a question as i am waiting delivery of my kit.
I see you have re-built the SA80 mounts in the cab. Is this because you felt the originals were not up to scratch or because they were missing?
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work

Regards

Malcolm
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 11:25 AM UTC
Malcolm I rebuilt the mounts for the SA80 to bring them up to date with what is currently in service. Over on Military modelling web, there are a few that talk about some small problems with HB kit that are easy to fix, one of them being the rifle racks. Here is the link to the forum, it might help some.
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=49110

Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 02:57 PM UTC
I have begun painting my my landy yesterday and here is the progress so far. I'm trying to keep the weathering to a minimum since most of the pictures I have seen show very little wera and tear on them. This is the picture that is inspiring my build.

I still need to finish weathering the body and back bed and paint some of the smaller details before I can start glueing everything together.
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 03:27 PM UTC
I have just purchased this kit and your info is excellent. Down here accessory kits of SA-80 and GPMGs are few. Is anyone able to steer me in the right direction of a good set and roughly were to get it
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 03:34 PM UTC
About the only company that comes to mind for good set of British figures, equipment and weapons is Accurate Armor. I have to peice together what stuff I have here to make it look British. I have notice the market for anything British, Canadian and Commonwealth is few far and between.
lighthorseman
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just purchased this kit and your info is excellent. Down here accessory kits of SA-80 and GPMGs are few. Is anyone able to steer me in the right direction of a good set and roughly were to get it

for the GPMG and .50 cal try mouse house

www.mheaust.com.au/
you might find what ur looking for
PHONETIC
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi there
following with great interest .

I would like to know when the rear gunner is using and rotating the gun .What is he actually standing on and how is he able to rotate 360 degreess ?
Thanks in advance
barny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 10:06 PM UTC
The model is coming on really well you are making a fine job of it.
im a keen land rover fan and have contributed to the info on the military modeling web site
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

for the GPMG and .50 cal try mouse house

www.mheaust.com.au/
you might find what ur looking for

Excellent, Cheers for that.
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 06:13 AM UTC
Chris the Landy is looking realy good mate and i cant wait to see it finished
 _GOTOTOP