_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Panzer III N build
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 10:09 AM UTC
Well, I've started scale model number 2 this week and quickly built a 1/35 Dragon Panzer III N. Just need to build the Fruilmodel tracks and its good for priming.

Lots more detail form the Panzer IV G I built last time and still enjoyable although one of two bits of PE were a bit tricky.

More up soon.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 02:12 PM UTC
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
Mark;

Yikes! TWO of these Dragon kits in a week? Dang. At my fastest, I'd maybe get most of, say, one turret done inside of a week. Envy.

And it looks good, so far! VERY encouraging to me, as I have a couple of Dragon Pz III smartkits and hope to pop into one pretty soon (OK, right after I finish oh, about 5 things now on the bench... bah!).

Which of the Dragon Pz. III kits is this - evidently one with spaced armor on the glacis- ? And how are you planning on painting her up?

Bob
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
Its the Panzer 3 N with winterketten. I originally intended to swap tracks with the panzer 4 g I've just completed but ended up getting Fruilmodel tracks instead ( they are very nice and fun to build). I didn't really like the idea of the magic tracks but they are used on both models as spares mounted to the hull.

As far as speedy building goes I've had prior experience building entire large warhammer 40k armies and have become very efficient! Having pretty much every tool in front of me helps also. The dragon kits are amazingly clean in terms of flash compared to the things I'm used to also.

That's me primed everything this evening with Tamiya grey spray primer so I'll be starting the paint job probably tomorrow night. I'm going for the pre-1943 panzer grey look as I think it will be tricky. Got some ideas on how to do it do I'll post up as it goes from stage to stage.

Fingers crossed!
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 09:53 AM UTC
One small step for man........... (thanks to tamiya german grey)........

Man, I just can't figure out this image pasting at all!!! Sorry folks. I'll get there eventually......
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 05:08 PM UTC

You've almost got it.. just have to get those brackets for the img and /img tags right...

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 09:19 PM UTC
Looking good so far Mark. I see you´re keeping all the small details seperate for painting. I usually fix these in place as its easier to hold the complete model than work with so many small fiddly items ... Im also a bit ham-fisted with glue!
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far Mark. I see you´re keeping all the small details seperate for painting. I usually fix these in place as its easier to hold the complete model than work with so many small fiddly items ... Im also a bit ham-fisted with glue!

Yeah, I paint them up and use plastic weld to glue them. You just need to put them in position, load the glue brush with the glue and dan around where the two bits meet. The capillary action does the rest. Its a bit like a mini pin wash in action.

Highly recommended!!
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
Well, I've spent a bit more time on the panzer 3. So far so good. I applied two stages of progressively lighter highlights and one shading layer onto the underside of the running gear, bottom of the hull and recesses. I added pure black around louvres etc too.

Next to do: Gloss, transfers & first chipping stages. Then I'll add another coat of gloss to seal the transfers before cracking on with some fading using oil paints. I'll get these stages done for the end of the week hopefully.....

EDIT: Yeeaaahhh!!!! I got the picture up. Woohoo!!!
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC
After doing the highlights/shading etc over the original base colour I've now moved onto the transfers. These were the kit ones and after applying some Klear floor polish to the respective area I stuck them on as normal. I then applied another layer of Klear over them to seal them in and get rid of any tell tale decal edges/lines.

While the Klear was drying I painted all the raised details on the tank with a highlight mix of the same paints used in the beginning (XF-63 with a little XF-2 white). Now all the details are more obvious giving the tank for overall definition. Which is nice.

Once everything was dry I applied 4 coats of Tamiya X-22 clear satin varnish in preparation for the next oil dot filter/fading stage. This'll make my overall strategy for painting this model different from the panzer 4 G:

1: Prime
2: Basecoat.
3: Shading and highlights getting brighter high up the tank and darker in the lower parts and recesses.
4: Transfers.
5: Detail poppage.
6: Satin varnish.
7: Oil fading/filters (which'll help give a more matt finish.
8: Leave to dry for a few days.
9: Brown mud coloured pin wash on majority details (enamel based)
10: Dark coloured pin wash on certain details (lower/recessed etc)
11: Chipping.
12: Pigments, mud, fuel stains and finishing details (tools etc.)

Pookie
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 - 02:19 AM UTC
HI Mark
Nice build so far. maybe it's good to add some wire for headlights.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
nice work so far, really looking forward to your weathering!
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Mark
Nice build so far. maybe it's good to add some wire for headlights.

Thanks, I think I'll pass on the extra detail work for now though. I plan on working on a more detailed model in the future but I'm just trying out some different painting methods for now.
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
Well, I decided to forgo the oil filter in favour of some AK Interactive dust/earth effects later on. I figure the oil fading will get covered up and therefore be a waste of time. More on this later when I get to those stages.

So, I applied some chipping tonight (sponge and brush) as well as a Mig Productions dark wash around the details which was blended using white spirits once dry. I'll touch some of this up later once I've added the dust and dry mud. I'm going for an Eastern Front 1942 autumn look with lots of ingrained dust, rain marks and fresh mud from the beginning of the famously muddy Russian wet season.

Over the weekend I hope to paint up the running gear, tools and other details prior to adding the dirt and grime. I think I'll also apply a light matt varnish to dull the paintwork down slightly.

mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 09:19 AM UTC
Wow, has it been 3 months. Jeez

I had a bit of a time out there due to building an extensive set of miniatures for gaming with but now thats done I'm back to some real modelling

I re-started the Panzer 3 N build on the weekend past and its going ok. Its looking a bit rough but once its been tidied up a bit it'll be just right. Hopefully. Here's where I'm at so far:

" BORDER="0">
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I decided to forgo the oil filter in favour of some AK Interactive dust/earth effects later on. I figure the oil fading will get covered up and therefore be a waste of time. More on this later when I get to those stages.

So, I applied some chipping tonight (sponge and brush) as well as a Mig Productions dark wash around the details which was blended using white spirits once dry. I'll touch some of this up later once I've added the dust and dry mud. I'm going for an Eastern Front 1942 autumn look with lots of ingrained dust, rain marks and fresh mud from the beginning of the famously muddy Russian wet season.

Over the weekend I hope to paint up the running gear, tools and other details prior to adding the dirt and grime. I think I'll also apply a light matt varnish to dull the paintwork down slightly.

I just love these little panzer 3's

The chipping effect is fantastic Mark, can I ask what type of sponge you used to get this effect ?, I want to do something more or less the same on a T-55, I had read in a magazine about doing this type of heavy chipping with a sponge, but I am not sure what type of sponge would work best.

I have Tamiya's Panzer III N stashed away and I am tempted to start it now
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The chipping effect is fantastic Mark, can I ask what type of sponge you used to get this effect ?, I want to do something more or less the same on a T-55, I had read in a magazine about doing this type of heavy chipping with a sponge, but I am not sure what type of sponge would work best.

Thanks !

I use two different densities of sponges. I use the most dense one for areas with lots of small chips like around hatches. I mostly use a less dense foam though and apply more or less paint depending on the size of chips I want. To give you some idea of the type of sponge I'd say the sponge scourer you get for cleaning dishes is the dense type and a bath type sponge is the less dense for larger chips. I tear a chunk of so its and irregular shape and this helps keep it random.

I do like this technique as its very quick but I'm planning on trying out a different technique in the near future involving painting the chips on using a brush. It'll take forever but i think painting chips with highlights on the lower inside edges is far more striking and dramatic effect. There's no reason why i couldn't touch up some of the chips and highlight them so they look deep but I don't think its worthwhile on this vehicle with other effects effectively neutering any hard work in the chips.
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks !

I use two different densities of sponges. I use the most dense one for areas with lots of small chips like around hatches. I mostly use a less dense foam though and apply more or less paint depending on the size of chips I want. To give you some idea of the type of sponge I'd say the sponge scourer you get for cleaning dishes is the dense type and a bath type sponge is the less dense for larger chips. I tear a chunk of so its and irregular shape and this helps keep it random.

I do like this technique as its very quick but I'm planning on trying out a different technique in the near future involving painting the chips on using a brush. It'll take forever but i think painting chips with highlights on the lower inside edges is far more striking and dramatic effect. There's no reason why i couldn't touch up some of the chips and highlight them so they look deep but I don't think its worthwhile on this vehicle with other effects effectively neutering any hard work in the chips.

Thx for the sponge info, just exactly what I needed to know

With ref to chipping with a brush with 2 layers, I have found that it works very well on anything painted in a sand colour, I think on my T-72 I put down some rust chips, then went back over with dark gray chips, keeping the dark gray inside the rust chips, or might of been the other way round, lol.

But like you say, you got heavy weathering on this panzer 3 so any elaborate chipping would be hard to see.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 11:23 AM UTC
Mark, simply a fantastic build. Weathering looks dead on. Looking forward to your next update.
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
That's the Panzer 3 wrapped up. I had some difficulty with the tracks due to not needing 94 links per side with the Fruilmodel tracks I added. Bit strange as they're the same size as the kit links. Oh, well. Lesson learned. Dry fit tracks before painting !

Pretty happy with the mud effects. I used plaster mixed with AK Interactives range of mud enamel based washes and some MIG pigments on the flat surfaces and recesses to show some dried mud. I learned a lot from using these different mediums and if I require mud effects on a model in the future I'll be able to apply better effects from what I've learned here.

I could have added more tools and fixed the drivers viewing port that's misted up but I'm not overly fussed. The build has served its purpose. I also reckon some rust work on the spare tracks would add some extra contrast. I'll try out a couple of techniques for practise on these areas at a later date.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
Really nice finish Mark. I like the heavy weathering. All it needs is some signs of life ... some personal stowage and maybe a figure or two. Will you add this to a base?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really nice finish Mark. I like the heavy weathering. All it needs is some signs of life ... some personal stowage and maybe a figure or two. Will you add this to a base?

I agree completely. I have never attmepted that much weathering, resigning myself to fresh off the factory floor kits. For some figures, you could have it plowing over some Russian soldiers.
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thanks guys

I've no plans to expand in terms of vignette etc but I will mount it and my first attempt winter panzer 4 on a half decent plain display base.

Funnily enough I did consider mounting one of my panzers to a scenic base with a figure and bought the Dragon Kharkov Totenkopf miniature box with Gen2 weapons. I've started on the set and plan to incorporate them into my first ever 1/35 scene based on Operation Citadel. I won't be starting that for a couple of months though as I have a 1/12 motorbike and 1/48 A-10 Warthog to do for the Glasgow Modelfest. I figured entering a couple of OOB models in a local contest would help with focus and give me a short term goal.

And yes, i have a very understanding Mrs Harris
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC
Mark, just a super build considering it's only your 2nd armor model. While I don't weather as heavily as you did, the over all effect is very convincing and realistically done.
mharris79
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thanks, I'm pretty pleased considering it was an experiment and i had to fix some aspects of the weathering due to beginners ignorance. Got a half decent result in the end.

I found the grey/blue quite hard to judge in terms of how much weathering but I should have less problems next time. I'll be sure to add a figure next time round to give it a bit of interest its otherwise lacking.

Thanks for the tips and kind words guys.
 _GOTOTOP