_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4A3E8 Thunderbolt VII
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Well, seems the current top 4 topics are all Shermans, so figure I'll throw mine in the mix.

Dragon M4A3E8 Thunderbolt VII kit
RB hull MG barrel
air cooled .50 cal out of the Academy MG set
Antenna is Formations resin
Stowage is a combination of Legends, Academy, Tasca, and some scratch stuff.

Tamiya mix for the OD, and then a number of different washes, AK Interactive products, and some additional airbrush work to give it some color variation. My photo skills aren't the best.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC
Excellent work Jesse. I think you nailed it.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:26 AM UTC
Yes Jasse, Very nice looking build. I really like the weathering!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 01:44 AM UTC
Build looks great, and the amount of stowage is certainly not over done. Weathering has that "used but not abused" look, with just the right about of color variation. One thing that jumped out at me is the base color just seems a little too yellow. But that could be your photo work or more likely my so so graphics card interpretation of the uploaded pictures.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
I like the look of this one. It's good to see something not covered in mud for a change. The OD variation looks great, any word on the techniques used?

Cheers!
Stefan
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Build looks great, and the amount of stowage is certainly not over done. Weathering has that "used but not abused" look, with just the right about of color variation. One thing that jumped out at me is the base color just seems a little too yellow. But that could be your photo work or more likely my so so graphics card interpretation of the uploaded pictures.

I think it's the lighting and background color too. The color is definitely darker than it looks. I played some with the color, contrast, tint, etc to make the pictures look better to my eyes prior to uploading.

Thanks for the comments!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the look of this one. It's good to see something not covered in mud for a change. The OD variation looks great, any word on the techniques used?

Cheers!
Stefan

Since you asked....

I started with Tamiya OD lightened a little with dark yellow. Some of pieces that weren't installed at that time.... hatches, MG pintle, were painted with straight Tamiya OD. Then I used that same color and hit some specific areas. The supplemental armor plates for instance. My thought that these items were installed later, and weren't painted in a factory, so they would have looked slightly different. After the base colors were on, I used Future, then decals, then more future.

I used a dark brown filter on the whole thing over that. Then did a very light dry brushing with some oils that I had used on the stowage. Then started the main weathering. I used AK Interactive Earth and Dust, and like using an artist's fan brush to get some variation. I then came back and mixed up a diluted Tamiya Buff solution and gave the lower half a decent covering as dust. This moderated the streaking significantly. I also used it in other locations of the tank to again give some more variation in colors. Then I did the same with Tamiya JSDF Brown, which I find to be pretty good 'dirt' color.

I'm not a huge fan of the chips and rusting, so that about wrapped it up. After a flat coat, I did a few more runs with the fan brush with an extra diluted mixture of the AK earth and dust. This drys with a tiny bit of sheen to it, which I actually like. The completely dull flat finish looks odd to me.

For the stowage, each piece was painted a slightly different variation of OD for the ammo boxes and Jerry cans, or brown/khaki/tan/khaki drab colors for the bedrolls and tarps to break up the monotony as well.

I like the color modulation style, but I like a more subtle version of it. Some of the stuff I've seen is maybe a little too stark in their contrast for my tastes.
 _GOTOTOP