Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Accurate Armour - Crusader Gun Tractor
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ken,

Thanks, I feel better lol, lol. I should be able to mount the Bren to the side. I was checking with Derek Barton and it appears these were only issued at Corps level. I was going to do a Guards Armoured or 11th Armoured Dvision vehicle, but may have to amend that now.

Al

I know that there were some discussions a number of years ago on the subject, but I find it very hard to swallow that they were only used at Corps level Al.
The Crusader Gun Tractor was produced with pulling 17pdrs in mind in the first place and differing accounts give anything from 200 to 600 Crusaders being converted to the task between Mar '44 and Apr '45.
I know that the 1/2 track and other vehicles were used quite extensively too, but where did all the CGT's disappear too if they weren't used at Div A/Tk Regt level?

I wonder if it's because about the only identifiable CGT pic is of a Corps unit?

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Ken,

Can't say. In Phil Greenwoods article which I used as a build reference, his build represents one from Guards Armoured, 21st Anti Tank Regt, which he startes had 2 Batteries of Cursader towed guns Z Battery and 2nd (Minden) Battery.

I was going to do an 11th Armoured Div vehicle, but no Crusaders are shown for them.

I've chosen a 30 Corps vehicle 73rd Anti Tank Regiment, RA (TA). Be the first Corps finish I've done.

Kevin,

Thanks mate, hadn't thoguh about Canadian, too late now lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Here's the beasty with some decals, not kleared in yet. Vehicle from 73 Anti Tank Regiment RA (TA) which formed part of XXX Corps up to Oct 44. The marking show 3rd battery but they may need changed to 4th battery following the latest info update from Derek.

No decals coem with the conversion, so mix and match your own. These are from Accurate Armour (Div Sign and Star) and Finger Print Design for the RA Markings.

Al

r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
Fantastic work Alan!
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Al sorry this is a bit late, but I found a picture of a restored Gun tractor at a museum and the interior is also painted green if that helps you sleep better tonight? Very clean and tidy bit of work...One question that was on my mind was the exhaust system you painted it in brown/red primer color could you possibly tell me what you used?

Jaymes
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hi Val,

Thanks for looking in and the comments.

Hi James,

Humbrol Matt 70, which I tend to use for Red Lead. Green was the way to go on this one.

Just need to double check the battery sign, final painting and weathering to do, then sort out a load and some crew.

Cheers

Al
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Very cool Alan, I like the low profile of your version. It kind of resembles a UC on steroids. You may have answered this already, but I was wondering what the purpose of the spare wheel is? I'm guessing that if this GC towed a trailer, that the wheel would be a spare for it but I don't know enough about these to speak either way.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
The wheel is a spare for the towed 17pdr - and nearly matches the Bronco wheels. I say nearly as there's an extra ring of bolts on this one that aren't there on the Bronco 17pdr kit.

Nice job Alan.
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hello Al,

Picking up on what Ken has said about the number of Gun Tractors made / converted I had a quick check on the numbers I have. Although I only have 86, the majority un-matched, they all start T12, ranging from T123850 to T128235.
Now I am not sying that there weren't any starting T18 but you might be better off using a T12 number.
Of course someone will now prove me wrong.

Great work though as usual Al.

Cheers
Kevin
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

Thanks and thanks for pointing out the AOS number, must have been in a dream at the time.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks, I just used a generic number as the WD numbers from the kit fell apart when placed in water, showing their age somewhat. There were several T12's on the original decals plus a T44. I'm not going to loose any sleep over the WD number, If I come across a T12 I'll switch them if not, then as specific vehicle pics don't seem to exist why worry.

Thanks again.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi folks,

With the correct AOS number, Thanks Ken

Now just need to double check on the Bty sign!

Al
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The wheel is a spare for the towed 17pdr - and nearly matches the Bronco wheels. I say nearly as there's an extra ring of bolts on this one that aren't there on the Bronco 17pdr kit.

Nice job Alan.

Alright that makes sense. So were these intended solely as artillery tractors?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I believe they were. Of course they used the Crusader for the Anti aircraft versions as well. They had a lot of these outdated vehicles avilable for the job.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Might seem like an odd question but what if any stowage would have been on the engine deck? Would they have carried additional rounds here, general kit or would the deck have been too hot?

The raised tyre got me thinking about that, plus the air coolers.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Kevin Tucker sent me some images which he thought you might find interesting.

Thanks Kevin.

Al
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 11:49 AM UTC
The very vehicle you're modelling Al (AoS-wise that is).

And I guess that answers the stowage question too.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The very vehicle you're modelling Al (AoS-wise that is).

And I guess that answers the stowage question too.

Looks like a furniture removal van!

& yes apart from the gun tanks, there were 3 AA versions & an ARV, as well as the gun tractor, using up older & obsolete chassis'
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi Ken, Jon,

Yes, not sure when the pics were taken.

OK some updates. Firstly my thanks to Derek Barton who as always keeps me right on the RA markings and if I've got this right I should now have a vehicle from 73rd Anti Tank Regiment , Royal Artillery. 195 Battery, B Troop, who were with XXX Corps up to Oct 44.

I added a T12 number for Kevin, Accruate Armour supply some neat pad-locks and I've added some track stowage to the front plus a re-cycled ammo stowage box, and sorted out some general stowage for the deck from Resicast.

Thanks to all, things are moving along.

Al
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC
That's really looking the business now Alan.

Um, I don't know if it's possible at this late stage, but the spare track should be behind the securing bars on that bracket. Looking at mine though, I doubt if it would fit (I left it empty with just the bars in place).
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

Thanks, Yes not sure how that would work with the part unless you cleaned out the backing before hand and reversed the part. I don't have a clear picture but I had thought of adding a couple of securing bars over the top or one down the middle.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Here we are with the stowaeg loaded. I used a straight bar to hold the tracks in place.

Also made a start on a few additional 17pdr ammo boxes and added the side hatches. I've added some support straps at either side of the harches but I donlt know if these would actually be needed? Staryed a bit of light weathering too.

Al

panzerserra
Visit this Community
Goias, Brazil
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 09:59 PM UTC
Alan, you rocks !!!!

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC
Morning Marcos,

Many thanks, love the picture . Derek from AA is going to sent me the missing frontal hook plate but I'm about done on the build. I'll need to see if I can alter the kit tow cable to fit or make a new one for the front.

With the Resicast Artillery Officer figure for scale and the weathering about done.

Made a start on some extra ammo crates from the Bronco set which is a very neat ammo set.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi folks,

A quick walkabout of things as they stand at the moment. I can see a lttle silvering on a couple of the decals that needs dealt with and I've added a tow cable to the front - anything else?

Thanks

Al