_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4 Sherman IB 105mm
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi folks,

This is one I started several years ago. Just got around to adding the missing antenna mount and air filters. Represents 'Zadzior' from 1st Krecgwolecki Ulans, 2nd Warswaka Armoured Division.

There was debate at the time if the additional rods should be ranging posts and painted red/white but I can't remember now what the answer was .

It was a conversion form the Tamiya M4A3 kit, but with DMLs new kit that route is no longer necessary.

It would be nice to add a breech for the 105mm and a basket to the turret at some point, and I've still to do a crew, maybe some of the MiniArt Crew would suit.

Cheers

Al
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 03:22 PM UTC
Very Nice build Allan!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hi John,

Many thanks, the 105mm is a favourite, made easier by the latest DML releae,

Cheers

Al
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 11:56 PM UTC
I have the DML 105 kit in my stash, looks like a nice kit. I like the looks of your with the yellow markings.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi John,

Polish vehicle - 'Zadzior' from 1st Krecgwolecki Ulans, 2nd Warswaka Armoured Division.

Bison Decals 35049 - Polish Tanks. I'd like to do a few more Polish vehicles at some point.

Cheers

Al
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 02:31 AM UTC
Alan,

Nice work indeed. Good choice for the colour scheme. Weathering is very nice as well.

Congrats on a job well done.

David.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi David,

Many thanks for looking in and the comments. There should be good opportunities for this one on the Canadian side

Cheers

Al
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 04:28 AM UTC
Very nice build Alan. It is particularly inspiring to me as I am just finishing up the Dragon 1/72 offering for the Sherman campaign. The weathering looks quite appropriate without being over done. I particularly like the way your tracks turned out.

As for those "rods", the few sources that I found said that they were cleaning rods for the main gun. It appears that there were two types, an early and a late. The former were wooden with threaded metal ends and the latter, metal tube or pipe. With the ones with my kit, one rod has a larger diameter head on its end.

Cheers,
Jan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 05:34 AM UTC
Thanks Jan, the configuration of the rods is somewhat different to other Shermans which is perhaps why the aiming pole though got aired. I left mine as wood as I couldn't find proof one way or the other.

This was a re-worked job form an earlier M4A3 I had built many, many years ago but I really wanted a Commonwealth version so with some spare parts and a little scratch building I upgraded it. Seemed a pity to waste an otherwise good kit. I think the duckbills sit well with the overall vehicle, make it chunky so to speak, which is in keeping with the 105mm.

Cheers

Al
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
Al,

Yes it would be nice to do one of these in Canadian markings. I saw some recent history on film about the Canadian Army in Holland near the end of the war and there is some footage of some Sherman V's and some of these tanks rolling through a Dutch town. I don't recall the unit but it was nice to see them in addiition to the usual footage of Sherman V's and VC's. Unfortuantely I don't have one these in my stash.

Regards,
Dave.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

I haven't bought the new DML kit yet either although I intend to.

There are three listed on my Fort Gary Horse listing

CT 269638
CT 269668
CT 269682

So I'll get arounf to doing one to go with my FGH M4 Sherman Firefly I build some time back.

It's great that DML have finally given us a new version.

Cheers

Al
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
Allan, An outstanding build for sure. Weathering looks great.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

Many thanks for looking in and the comments - appreciated.

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hi Alan. How did you convert it- just swap out the engine deck and rear hull or was it more complicated?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Yes, pretty much, just used spare parts to convert the rear deck, and fashioned a new fuel point and cleaning rods, switched the rear doors, added the missing air vents. A set of new DML duckbills, blanket box and appropriate antenna, No 19 radio etc and it was about done. . Finally got around to painting in the antenna about a week ago lol, lol.

I'd had the kit for about 10 years or more as an American vehicle from a previous attempt at modelling which was just sitting in a box, so thought why waste it.

All the parts came from left over kits apart form the bin and ammo box. What was hard to get were the air vents and David aka Drader (who has sadly passed on) was able to provide me with those.

It was based on this pic. It wasn't that hard to do although it seemed like a major project at that time.

Al

_GOTOTOP