_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi all,

With my airbrush broken and no funds to buy a new one, I made sure my next model was just one colour So I chose the Panzer IV. I modeled it after one in the 11th Panzer Division in the Balkans. This is still not 100% complete, because I still need to add a divisional symbol on the side, and place the tow cable in a different position, and paint the lights. Unfortunately, the instructions said to put the storage rack on the back for all types and later I found out that the rack was only for the Afrika version. I cant take it off due to the glue, so I just left it and added some accessories. I made the aerial, tow cable, and the cloth in the bucket from scratch on my own. Tell me what you guys think! I am in the process of making a tank crew at rest for this guy.

-Joe

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
A hobby saw or jeweler's saw will take that rack off. Then, some sanding and repainting should finish it. Looks great for a by hand kit and even for a ab kit. I built one of these by Tamiya and really enjoyed it.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC
It looks real good,you are really improving !! Some small detail points:paint the teeth on the tracks a metal or silver color to simulate wear,also the same for the teeth on the drive sprockets.Also the edges of the turret and fenders,dry bush with metal to simulate wear,also the same grab handles,hatch edges,and jerry cans.Little stuff like that takes your build to the next level,keep building and posting !!
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC
Will fo. Thanks for zee tips.
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 442 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:30 PM UTC
Nice finish for a hand-painted job.

I may be wrong as it's a little difficult to see because of the angles from which the photos were taken, but it looks like your right track may be reversed?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 12:19 PM UTC
Outstanding job of painting and weathering. And you did it by hand. Just an excellent job. A Little more weathering on the tracks etc dry brushing, and you're home free.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi Joe. Considering the age of this model and all the innaccuracies that go along with it, donīt bother cutting anything. Add more stowage and tie it down, to give some colour contrast, as well as life, and also use it for practising some further weathering techniques. Some pin washes around details and highlighting of edges, would give some depth to the details. The monotone grey and single dust colour used, dont really challenge or broaden your skills. Whats done here is perfect ... but with an old model like this, go to town with it.
Read these pages by MIG on missing links for some further ideas ... better to attempt these techniques here than on a more expensive model; Rarities World
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips. I have tried various washes on some of my older less-time-put-into-them models haha, but they never turn out right. So I decided not to do it on this. I'm in the process of making the tank crew and fixing little details on the tank. (such as making the track the right direction)
 _GOTOTOP