_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Firefly IC
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi all.

Here's my DML Firefly IC (Kit #6020) built out of the box except for a RB barrel and an old set of Ultracast decals (I'm surprised they went on as well as they did).
I'm calling it done, except for a pair of MV lenses I have coming in, delayed due to the Canadian postal strike.

I'm also working on a small quick base showing it on a road in Italy, I'll post photos of that when it's done. It's a nice kit, I only wished I hadn't buttoned it up so I could have crewed it a bit. Hopefully I'll see some infantry that'll catch my eye.

IMG_1700" BORDER="0">

IMG_1699" BORDER="0">

IMG_1701

I'm pretty happy with it considering its my 3rd model since I've gotten back into the hobby. I just got a nagging feeling its missing something to get it just right.

Any constructive criticism or comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 06:42 PM UTC
Jeff,
Looks like a good clean build to me. Did this kit have the individual track links or the one piece DS tracks? If it was the indie tracks, could you explain how you accomplished this task? The tracks look really well done.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Jeff,

Nice work. Sharp looking build. The IC is one I haven't built yet, one of many on a long list .

Look forward to the display.

Al
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Rock solid build. Paint and especially the weathering looks fantastic.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC
A very nice culmination. I would suggest the British infantry set by Resicast. Or, if you wanted to make a peaceful scene, Tamiya's British Infantry on Patrol. I'm working on two sets of these, right now.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC
feel like your missing something?
mmmmmmmmm

personal gear stowed topside? sandbags topside?

great build from my viewpoint tho.

reb
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,

Great looking build! If your looking for constructive feedback, the only thing I see is your stowage is to neat, and not enough of it.

Other than that, Job well done!............
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words

Art: The track is the one piece DS that came with the kit. I love them. They're painted Vallejo Rubber (or faded rubber) and Vallejo Track primer. I mixed Vallejo pigment Light Sienna with water to make a slurry, let it dry and took off the excess with a stiff brush and my thumb.

The stowage was tricky to get right, I will work on that with the next one. Probably the two biggest factors fighting against me were an empty spares box and the size of the radio bustle on the back of the turret. Even with the little gear I got on now I doubt it there's a millimeter's clearance to turn the turret. I tried to add more but it was stacked so high and narrow it looked like they were hiding a wedding cake from the Nazis.

Next time I do a Sherman I'll up armour it a bit. I'm thinking either American M4A3 76mm with sandbags, or a M4A4 in Holland covered in spare tracks.

Cheers and thanks again for all the suggestions.

Jeff
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 01:28 PM UTC
Beautiful build Jeff, the paint is perfect. My only suggestion would be to tone down the wood on the tools. It could be the picture, but they look a little to "clean" compared to the weathering you did on the rest of the tank. please share pictures of the base with us when you get that done as well!
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 12:52 AM UTC
Jeff,

Very nice build indeed. The weathering is well done and would be in line with a IC fighting in Normandy. A few suggestions

Add-on Armour:
I wouldn't bother with sandbags as this was more of an American practice while the Canadians and Brits preferred spare tank tracks. These spare tracks could be their own or even German tracks liberated from knocked out tanks. I notice you have the T48 rubber chevron tracks which were quite common on IC's. For spare tracks I would suggest either T62's or T54E1's with the T62's being the other more common track fitted to the other Firefly type the VC.

Additional stowage:
You might want to consider adding some 17lb ammo cases or British style Munition boxes to the rear blanket box on this or future builds. Tankers often welded these to the sides and/or the top of the blanket box or even the radio box for additional stowage. On the front of the tank you might want to add a spare roadwheel or two or additional munition boxes.

One thing I couldn't see in your pictures was a gun crutch for the 17 pounder. Do you have one of these on the rear deck?

Once again. nice build and looking forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers,
David.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
Nice work! Is it the new kit or the older Dragon Hybrid kit?
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work! Is it the new kit or the older Dragon Hybrid kit?

It's the newer IC kit. Really nice out of the box.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 12:47 AM UTC
Jeff what brand and color paint did you use to get that nice effect on the tools?
thanks
DJ
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff what brand and color paint did you use to get that nice effect on the tools?
thanks
DJ

I paint the wood with matte white acylic paint, let it dry, put on burnt sienna oil paints then brush them off softly with a soft clean brush. Usually after the 1st or 2nd stroke you get some wood grain. I think next time I might base coat some tools in white, some in tan etc so the colours have a little more variation.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:30 PM UTC
Outstanding
Thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP