_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Sd.Kfz 222 Photo Etch
naslrogues
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have any tips for installing the photo-etch that comes with the kit? I am having some trouble with the fit for the turret mesh. I am also new to the world of photo etch. Any/all help appreciated!
Thanks
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you. Yesterday I was searching for how to MacGyver up a "hold n fold" tool since I am a cheapskate.

One tip I read which seems like it would work is to get a heavy duty brass hinge that closes flush from a hardware store. Put the piece of P/E into the hinge where it needs to be folded, tighten the hinge shut with a nut & bolt through the existing screw holes and fold.

Again never tried it but for the 3-4 bucks in materials I'm going to give it a shot next time I'm in that situation.

Take care,

Jeff
naslrogues
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi,
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Andy
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
I've been struggling with my 1st PE effort on the Academy M3A1 Stuart from Eduard. multiple folds takes planning, and some of the parts are so small I can't even see the fold lines with Optivisors on. I'm not the biggest fan of PE as I prefer to thin down plastic parts when possible, and if it can be make then out of sheet plastic, I try to go that way.

For folding I use a 4 inch folding bar, a six inch ruler, as well as a pair of tweezers. I keep on looking at the Tamiya pliers, but at $25, I just can't force myself into purchasing one yet.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 03:30 AM UTC
For smaller folds, you can use two razor blades. Just tape one flat, to a hard surface. Slide the pe bit under it, so that the intended fold lines up with the sharp edge. Slide the second razor under the pe bit, so that the two sharp edges would be touching. Slowly lift the loose blade up to the degree of the bend.
For rolling pe parts, drill bits work great. You may also wish to anneal stubborn parts.
For mesh, you can either buy some window screen or aluminum mesh from a hardware store. Cut to size and apply.
Hope this helps.
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For smaller folds, you can use two razor blades. Just tape one flat, to a hard surface. Slide the pe bit under it, so that the intended fold lines up with the sharp edge. Slide the second razor under the pe bit, so that the two sharp edges would be touching. Slowly lift the loose blade up to the degree of the bend.
For rolling pe parts, drill bits work great. You may also wish to anneal stubborn parts.
For mesh, you can either buy some window screen or aluminum mesh from a hardware store. Cut to size and apply.
Hope this helps.

Using Razor Blades for bending PE ???,

Guys, just buy some little Pin Vices, they come in lots of sizes, are very easy to use, and perfect for bending PE, plus they dont have razor sharp edges that will slice your finger open
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 04:19 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all

I've had good luck using a very, very small Craftsman flat pliers. It's useful for 95% of my needs. Costs a lot less than Tamiya pliers, although I wouldn't trade my Tamiya spruce cutters for anything...

Take care,
Don "Lakota"
 _GOTOTOP