_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
DML 1:35 Panther D
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Its been AGES since i've last touched one of these babies...

This is the DML Panther D which was done halfway and left out and forgotten for years..

Finally took it out and finished it.

Only aftermarket used is Voyager's grille set (I think, cant remember though LOL)

I think I overdid the weathering, looks too heavy especially the streaks..but oh well.

Also any good image hosting site? Imageshack is kinda crap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:12 PM UTC
Photobucket is what I use. It's very easy to use. What camo scheme are you going for? I have a large jar of the color you used, but have never been able to find it used in any camoflage.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi Danny. Finishing armor has beome a very personal thing, with some modellers preferring the realistic approach .... painting the model as the real 1/1 vehicle would be. Personally I find this a little boring, especially on these small scales.
A 1/35 scale model cannot cast shadows and catch light in the same way the real vehicle can, so I believe in using techniques to simulate this to give the details "depth" and add interest. If you look at an 1/1 scale vehicle, eventhough it is monotone in colour; the shadows, highlights and reflections add so much variations to the finish. This is lacking on your model.
You have some pretty large scratches and wear, but yet the model is clean. How did it get these scratches and wear if it hasnīt travelled and been involved in skirmishes?
Even good dirt effects can be enough to break up a monotone colour. Some stowage, figures or signs of life would also help.
Its your model so you decide what finish you like .... the opinions above are considering my personal taste. Its your choice.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice guys!

Gonna add more mud and dirt to really make it 'worn' looking.

I did a light wash with oil but I guess it didnt stand out too much though.

Will improve !
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Danny,very nice over all job. And I do concur that the Grey streaking is somewhat over done, as it just stands out too much.

Frank has suggested several venues to help out with a monotone paint scheme.
He also suggested some thought about shadows and recesses. And since I specialize in mostly US Army armor, I've gotten quite use to the issues of a monotone paint scheme, and how paint fading from direct sunlight to shadow areas will really help in breaking up that monotone scheme, and add a lot of interest. Not by any means am I an expert in this area, other then I try to keep sun direction and shadows in mind as I weather a model. Unfortunately for me, I've got a long, long way to go to achieve those goals.
 _GOTOTOP