_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
K5 builders
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
The DML K5 is destined to be my on-and-off again project for however long it takes to finish.
Just curious who out there is actually building theirs? Tank Carl is/was and that's about all I know.

In any case, I'm still working on the trucks and on the wheels, I've found myself watching passing trains for wheel colors the past few weeks. I found this site today for additional reference in the wheel area.

http://search.bnsfpix.com/photos.php?category=02
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi. I've been fooling around with the Trumpter kit here the last month. Just doing this and that on it. Things that look easy. Have built and painted the barrel unit and the elevating mechanism under it. They both came out very nice, for my modeling skills.

When I got into the main body of the kit I decided there is where I'm going to have to do a little extra thinking on how parts are going to fit together and in what sequence would be the easiest to do. So this past weekend I started fooling around with the ammunition wagon section of the kit. Going together very nicely, as long as I take my good old time at it.

Kind of forcing myself to go slow, waiting to see some of the reports on this type of kit going together from those who are much better modelers than I am. I see that FSM is going to be running a write-up in one of their up and coming issues on both these kits and want to see what they say about them and how they went together.

I've noticed that in working with this kit it has sort of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde side to it. In one area I'm working on something that looks totally all out of scale for 1/35, and next time I'm working with parts so small I have to clip the spure out around the part before trying to cut the part itself off.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've noticed that in working with this kit it has sort of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde side to it. In one area I'm working on something that looks totally all out of scale for 1/35, and next time I'm working with parts so small I have to clip the spure out around the part before trying to cut the part itself off.

....man, sgirty....that's sounding pretty scary indeed! Whatever you do, don't forget to sacrifice a virgin or something to the "Carpet Gods'....O.K?

Tread. #:-)
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
Girty:
Have you done the trucks yet?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Guys. I didn't sacrifice a virgin TreadHead, but I did rub my Indian pipes a little and asked the Great Spirit to give me plenty of patience with this thing and not to mess it up. Although today when one of those tiny parts when flying out into the wilds of the garage I wondered if it did any good. But I guess it did, as after about 15 mins. or so of doing some well deserved cleaning in that particular area I did find the offending little piece. I had better do some more rubbing.

No Porkchop, haven't touched those trucks. Just the simpler stuff for now. I believe I read where there are around 700+ pieces with these things, so they are on the 'wait list' till I get the other items done, and I get my courage up some more, hopefully.

I did build and hang up the T-track section on the wall out in the garage, as there is NO WAY any other place would do. But I plan to use real model R.R. stuff to build the in-line R.R. anyway, as I do have a shelf on the wall that will fit it. Even though the Trumpeter ties and rails were really nice, the roadbed part of the kit kind of left something to be desired, in my opinion anyway.

Now, you want to hear the corker of this whole thing? I brush painting it. Tried the Taimya spray on the Karl model and was less than pleased with it. Have had real bad luck with airbrushes too. But I've always had real good luck with a W&N No. 4 brush and the Polly S Paints on all my tank models. Time-consuming and labor-intensive, but they come out pretty nice. So we'll see....we'll see......

Take care, sgirty
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hand painting it..... dude your Avatar is ALREADY an old man with a grey beard!!!
What color are do doing? All grey, all yellow, yellow/brow?
There seems to be a dearth of references on this gun, but I think I'll go off the cover of the Squadron book and do mine all yellow. Unless someone can tell me this wasn't accurate.
Sounds like you're making pretty good progress, and you're right, this isn't a project that's going to move quickly, IMHO. I see some serious burnout times ahead when it will be a good idea to have some small projects sitting around.
Also, can't wait to do the figs. Anyone have a total number of crew on this baby, for some reason 21 comes to mind.
In anycase I'll be using both the DML and Trumpeter sets (probably multiple sets of both, hopefully that's help out Vince)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi Porkchop. Only painted one tank and that was sometime back in the Pz. grey , so I thought I would do the same here. Once I had painted the barrel assembly and elevating mechanism in this color, I like it real well, if for no other reason than it's a change from the Yellow which gets sort of old hat after a while in the German stuff.

Yes, it will go slow, but that's what I'm aiming at. Speed, and rushing, are my two worse enemies in this hobby, so the brush painting does slow things down quite a bit, and forces me to think and plan ahead on a lot things. And I usually do much better this way.

One good thing about this kit, whether it's the Dragon or Trumpeter, it does kind of give a modeler at least 5 or maybe 6 different models to build all in one box, so one can kind of go from one section to another as they go along, and gives them time to think on certain areas of the building and painting as they work on another section, or another model for that matter. This is most definitely not a model that is going to be finished in a fore-night and it would be plain silly to try to do so. Too much time and money invested in it to do otherwise.

Figures would most definitely be the crowning touch to this piece, if for no other reason than to show the viewer the true scale of this weapon. I was lucky enough to see the real thing many years ago over to Aberdeen, and it was truly a monsterous piece of equipment to behold close up.

Take care, sgirty.
Pieter
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC
I for one am starting to get all of my references together. begging the wife, so I can put it on the wall somewhere. I have looked at the parts, man there is alot of them even for the dragon kit that I have. Right now this will be my topper of my modeling career, this will break me and make me a better person. Who knows. I hve odered another set of the crew, going to go for the 12 person squad that was use to arm and fire this monster. Till I get more involved with this unit, I will sit back a stare open mouth at this beat.

Later all
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC
For the sake of us, which references are you lining up? Mainly on-line stuff or are you finding books too?

Up to this point the FAMO was my crowning achievement, and for the heck of it I compared sizes a few monts ago. The FAMO is about the same size as one of the wheel trucks on the K5....
Pieter
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:15 PM UTC
I have the german railgun in action book. That I borrowed from a friend. If you can find one this is real helpful for the leo. The rest of the refernece comes from on-line mostly here
http://www.one35th.com/model/k5/k5_frme.htm

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
hi Guys
I've just been fiddling with the track bed on mine(Trumpeter kit)and as sgirty says I'm not all that happy with the look of it,I may just pin the track itself to a board and ballast round it.
I'm also thinking of hand painting mine as i have no experience with airbrushes etc,the only downside is i want to paint it yellow/brown .
As for references I have the Squadron book that came free with the kit and have found various sites on the net by typing in either "Anzio Annie" or K5e into my search engine.I'm not at home right now but when i wake up later today i'll try and post some links.
I'm also intrigued to know just how many Armorama members have got this kit in either version.
Happy modelling
Pete
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hi all
Still looking at this Trump. K5 kit and trying to decide on paint.

Darn big model / many parts!

I'm thinking : Pz. grey overall, as I build the thing. And then spray dark yellow / red-brown when it is built. (Mmm 2005?)

The original railgun was finished in dark grey, and sent to the French coast. Then it was moved to Italy and repainted. Did the paint crew climb under and paint everything dark yellow? I bet they had other important things to do.

Just speculation mind you.

One thing that Pork Chop pointed out was wheel color, all railcars, new and old, seem to be a burnt umber / dark rust tone

andy
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:23 PM UTC
I've had the DML K5 for a bout 2 months, built one truck painted it yellow, now want it GREY!!!! As far as wheels go I think a nice heavy coat of Grimy Black over some nice caky putty. but that's what my train watching has got me. Oh well, need to get back my distracting T34 STUG
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi Guys
A few reference links on the K5 for you

http://www.skytamer.com/land/artillery/70565717.htm

http://users.erols.com/reds1/lst173htmfiles/AnzioAnnie.htm

http://www.488thportbattalion.org/Anzio_Annie.html

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/ordnanc2.html

http://tanxheaven.com/leopold/leopoldpic.htm

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/leopold.htm

http://www.e94114.de/Eisenbahngeschuetze/K5_Leopold.h

http://html2.free.fr/canons/k5.htm

http://iquebec.ifrance.com/2iemeguerre/blindes/leopoldcanonsurrail.htm

There are 2 in French and one in German plus a couple of modelling sites but hopefully there will be some images there that are of use to someone
Happy modelling
Pete
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi all. Well, one thing's for sure, no matter which kit you have or are contemplating on buying, these two manufacturers have definitely scored a direct hit with the modeling public. The little hobby shop I usually go to doesn't even stock these kits except on an 'as order' basis because they didn't want to get stuck with such pricy models, but one of the owners told me the other day that they were really surprised at just how many of both kits they have sold since they were able to start getting them. Pretty amazing, for their price range I'd say. (Now which one is going to produce the "Dora"? Ha., ha!)

Weathering speculation here: Considering the strategic value of these pieces in their day, would there really be much weathering, per say, on these pieces, except for some general wear points here and there? I would imagine that these guns, being inside most of the time, no matter where they were posted, would be kept pretty darn clean, just about everyplace somebody could reach with a rag or brush. Maybe some dust on the lower R.R. wheels and such. Now, of course, if a person were to do a model of the one at Aberdeen or in France, where these guns are out in the weather all the time, this would be another matter, and it would sure be nice if someone were to build one of these models this way, and I imagine someone will.

Thanks Pieter for that web page on the K5. Really nice. I have already seen one area that I may have messed up on. Where the barrel itself recoils into the lower, greased, cylinder area. One model on this other site had this area painted a silver color, which would be somewhat appropriate. Think I'll do some experimenting with some painted wooden dowel rods and see how a 'greased and somewhat worn' barrel section would look in this section. More things to think about. I also see on this site a real nice picture of the shell, charge and primer section all laid out on the little truck unit. This gives me some idea on this area.

Good luck to all and take care, sgirty
Pieter
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
sgirty,

I have noticed the silver painted part on the kit you are talking about. I have some movies showing the k5 firing, the barrel dose not move at all. The whole carriage moves when it recoils. I'm not to sure the silver area is needed. here is the movie i was talking about.. You can find it here.....
http://www.tanxheaven.com/referencepictures.htm

scroll down to the bottom of the page.

HTH
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi. Thanks for that site reference. Have to get the wife to tell me what I need to download this for viewing. Some really neat stuff on this site. The Dora movie will be worth seeing as well.

I just kind of figured that what with that silver part on that one model's barrel and those grease lines--or what I take to be grease lines anyway--on that back section, kind of worked hand-in-hand, lubricating the barrel and it recoiled into this 'cylinder'. Although this is the only photo of a model of this gun that I've seen with the partiular coloring in that area.

One of the really neat things I found in building models is that it makes the builder take that proverbial 'second', 'third'. etc. look at the reference materials available and see certain things on said AFVs that they didn't notice before, or maybe saw, but didn't pay that much attention to as it was the small stuff. It also gives the historian/modeler a little bit more of a 'feeling' for what those soldiers--no matter which side they fought on, or what period is involed--faced on a daily basis and thusly gives us of later generations more of a feeling for the time period involved, and we come out of it smarter than we went into it. Does this make sense? Hope so.

Anyway, thanks again, and take cae, sgirty
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Porkster,
Here's where I am at.After an op Barbarossa break,I am hard at work on the Leopold.Mine will be panzer grau.I have the barrel assembled in its little holder/trunnion.
bioth rail trucks are assembled,thought the diesel engine on one hasnt been touched.I am at the clear off a long shelf stage.
Once the barrel is mounted in the inner frames,but not inside the main railcar,it will be too long for the box.I am going to do some sub painting to night,the gun,and all the elvating mech attached to it.Plus I will paint the inner panels.
For my wheels,I went with a flat black and a tiny bit of steel,then I will do a dusty rust spray over them.All of this will get a light general dust color after final assembly.
I will try to upload current pictures to my gallery soon. (++) (++) (++)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC
As promised.This is a view of how the gun/elevating cylinder will fit in the side frame on the DML kit.there are some large diameter knockout marks that are very shallow,but I decided to fill them,rather than try to sand them out.

(++) (++) (++)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(Now which one is going to produce the "Dora Ha Ha

I am game would pay $200 or 300 hundred for one this would be a killer kit using what 2 sets or is it 4 sets of rails. Yes this would be the crowning model. Imagine if Tamiya made it about $500 (++) (++) (++) (++)

Great Idea!!! (++) (++)
Lets everybody drop a note to dragon and tell them we want one.
DORA DORA (++) (++)
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:28 PM UTC
SgtReef:
I really hope none of our wives get a hold of this thread... ESPECIALLY YOURS!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
I look forward to seeing pics of both these kits when they are done. I have managed to resist buying them so far, and try to avoid looking on ebay for a super discount price. I'm so bogged down now with 3 kits I am presently working on that it would be absolute hell for me to add that monster to the mix.
Pieter
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
Guys,

everybody wants a 1:35 scale dora. How about a 1/16 scale dora. this guy scratchbuilt him one. The total length is 12 foot.

http://www.allthingstechnical.co.uk/dev/dt/models.asp?id=5
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
bought my dragon kit two weeks ago for £75, imagine my dismay when ive seen it advertised for 49.99. for those interested its from wonderland models in scotland tel; 00441312296428
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Folks, Pieter: Thanks for the site on the 1/16 scale Dora. Really nice. That guy must be hooked, big time. But I believe the 1/35 unit of this particular piece would be quite big enough in itself to have many of us banging our heads against the wall trying to justify, both to ourselves and a lot of our wives, that we "must" have this 'plastic fix' and where in the name of all that's holy is it going to go!!! Don't know if we will ever see such a model, but then again, who could have predicted 3 or 4 years ago, that a model company would put out two kits of the Karl SP Mortar and then that company, plus another one, would put out the K5? So I would say anything is possible. Also it may not be too big to dream of other such 'biggies' come out in the future either. The Germans captured a lot of railway guns when they went into France in 1940 to add to their own arsenal. Saw a photo here a while back in a book of a 380mm R.R. gun of French make in German service and it looked pretty darn monumental too. Actually a lot 'meaner' looking that the K5.

I also think that 'big' is going to be the coming thing in the modeling industry, esp. if this new 1/25 scale Panther from Academy is 'up to snuff' and takes off and flies big time, which if it is really well-designed and highly detailed, like a lot of Academy kits are, it no doubt will.

Don't know how old most of you folks out there are, but does anybody remember Tamiya's 1/25 scale Tiger they made here 30+ years ago? That was a pretty nice model in itself, for it's time. Just imagine what it would be today, what with all the upgrading in the plastic molding field, not to mention after-market items that will surely come along as surely as day follows night. And not to leave out the Allied AFVs, in the model industry, where the German vehicles go, the Allies are soon to follow. In fact, truth be known, I would much rather see somebody bring out a really nice 1/25 scale later model Sherman than another German vehicle. But in the modeling industry this doesn't seem to be the case.

Take care. sgirty #:-)
 _GOTOTOP