_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Maxx Pro MRAP Build
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Plus one on that Steve...the Rustoluem is the way to go.

Not looking forward to it though, I still have nightmares from the M1a2 I did with that method!

The masking sessions ughhh!

Ryan

www.legendusa.net

I've had nothing but good experiences with it. Just the masking is the fun part
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I BELIEVE those are air filter intakes. I remember having to lift the hood and remove an armored plate to get at the air filter to clean it out. I seem to remember it being in that area.

I can't tell. Here's the air intake. How it gets from there to either side of the hood is anyone's guess. This is the same vehicle that shows the green vent on the front of the hood in my CD.

TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC
Going under the hood of the MaxxPro had us all confused at first, thankfully one of our Soldiers was a trucker on the civilian side and had an International dump truck so he was able to help us figure out a lot.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very well done. I remember that hatch locking mechanism getting bent and ruined on almost all of our trucks. To follow up with with Rob said, the non skid on these was not as cleanly done as on an Abrams, so you have some wiggle room.

Ours were tied up with bailing wire because the gunners were always very anxious about having those doors come sliding closed and cutting the gunner in half or breaking their pelvis. Good place to store stuff as I recall. Regarding the vents on the sides of the engine cover, I BELIEVE those are air filter intakes. I remember having to lift the hood and remove an armored plate to get at the air filter to clean it out. I seem to remember it being in that area.

That was a major concern of mine as well. I believe I used 550 cord to keep mine in place. That space between the turret platform and the roof was absolutely a great place to keep your stuff. I always kept my lube, SAW ammo, M4 mags in bandoliers, frags smoke and flares, and of course Rip It's in mine. Anything bigger went into the bustle rack on the back of the turret, ie: .50 cal ammo. 240 ammo was always below the radio rack so it was easy enough to get to should I need it.

Rob, the seating set up in the MaxxPro is modular, all of ours were set up with the DUKE at the very rear like in this picture, you can also see the dead space between the roof and turret platform roof from here.

The real fun will be making these pulley activated antennae mounts.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 04:49 AM UTC
Here's another tip: If you want to build the Maxx Pro buttoned up, as in the motor pool, the sliding door would often be forward. That makes it easier to make as you don't necessarily have to fashion the guide rails on the hatch. More than likely you'd have the ramp up as well, which means you can save PE parts A93 and put them on the inboard side of the rails, like this:

shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 05:37 AM UTC
If anyone really wants to know what the business behind that fan is I can check it out tomorrow.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:31 AM UTC
RIGHT TURN RIPITS!!!! LOL... I preferred coffee shocks.

Our gunners just closed the top of the turret basket thing... It was too much of a pain to try and get the armored slide UN tied!! LOL
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 03:34 PM UTC
Slightly more progress. Well, a lot more actually, but some things are better left as surprises...

jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 08:27 AM UTC
I like the look of those hoses- much better than my idea. Looks great!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hey Rob, any progress on this beast? It has been a long time since you posted an update...

Mario
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
A little. I wanted to wait until I finished, but I drilled holes up through the front wheel and through the radio rack to run hidden wires for the blue LED in the roof. I'll post photos in a bit. By the way, got your PM.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC
I haven't done too much modeling of late, got two bike projects going. Anyway, here's where the Maxx Pro stands now.

Wire comes up though wheel:

It then goes through the chassis:

It'll be a brake line, and gets hidden in the jumble of other lines:

It comes up through the radio rack:

Wires attach to LED, which are all hidden by the turret platform:

LED leads are further hidden by sliding hatch:

This is how the LED looks from the inside the vehicle, mounted in a hole which Legend was kind enough to provide. I cut down the LED quite a bit to make it smaller:
 _GOTOTOP