_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
A couple of Modern MBT WIPs
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hey all

Here are a my current projects being built alongside my humvee. They are a DML M1A1HC being built as "All bout da bones" and a tamiya Challenger 2, markings as yet undecided.
For the Abrams I used the workable AFV Club T158 tracks, and various stowage items from Legends, Real Models, Academy and DML.
For the Chally 2 I used the Voyager grill set, Lion marc barrel, and Rustoleum for the anti slip. The coating appears much rougher than it actually is, but should look good after a coat of primer. So photos...

And the Challenger 2

Comments welcome, and Happy new year!

Anirudh
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC
Great job on the armor so far. I love the non-slip surface on the Challenger. How did you do it and what material did you use?

Happy New Year!!
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 07:28 AM UTC
Cheers Brent

The non slip surface was done with Rustoleum textured spray paint (for textured plant pots according to the can) This Stuff

I masked the required areas based on this thread and some photos I found online. The panels and engine deck were masked with Tamiya tape and the more complex areas were masked with liquid mask.

I think however the non slip coating is slightly too large for this scale, at least for the challenger 2, so if I were to build another one I'd try Mr Surfacer which seems more accurate.

Also, the challenger 2 has a basecoat and some decals on it so i'll post an update tomorrow.

HTH

Anirudh

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
nice work so far, on the M1, the front Transfer looks like there is a little silvering from above?
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 10:59 PM UTC
Thanks James, You're right about the silvering on the decal, though hopefully a flat coat will reduce that.

Here some photos of the Challenger 2 with basecoat applied, decals on and the beginnings of a scratchbuilt tarp/sheet thing thats often seen draped over the front of the vehicles.

Thanks for looking!

Anirudh
 _GOTOTOP