Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Finnish T-55 Marksman build
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 06:46 PM UTC
You can hardly recognize the original gun housing ! Great job on these complicated shaped parts.

Olivier
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 01:30 AM UTC
Some masterful scratcbuilding there Jim, this should be one helluva detailed model!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 04:37 PM UTC
Another weekend update! Chapter - The right side fender and front glacis. I discovered I'm not a fan of adding the fuel lines, but it has to be done! I suppose a 'regular' T-55 wouldn't be too bad but it seems the Polish built hulls have some sort of fuel shut-off valve, it was tough trying to decipher where all the lines came and went but I think I got close. The Voyager p.e. is helpful for a lot of the small details I didn't want to try scratch building.

Cheers,
Jim
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 06:16 PM UTC
Outstanding indeed Jim !

According to my reference pictures you've made a great job on fuel pipe lines. In fact, unlike Russian and Czech models,sometime on Polish exemplars there's a third smaller tube which connets inner fuel tanks to external fuel cells

I really like the details which you've added, such as the small grill near the engine hatches and small handles on the deck

That's very inspiring, thanks a lot for sharing

Cheers
mato
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC
Outstanding work Jim. Superb details...

I noticed one little error that you might want to fix.

The tow bar locking latches (dont know their real name) are not correct. You'll see the correct one in the photo attached. One can get it from Eduard's T-55A photoetch set (35554).

" TARGET="_blank">http://www.pienoismallit.net/profiilit/327/kuvat/kuvapankki/kuva_90287/]

Btw. What decals are you planning to use?

Regards from Finland
Olli
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hi Guys, finally some updates (where does the time go?). I've been working on the turret, adding all the unique Finnish bits. Almost there, some smaller details on the hull yet to add, and of course the side skirts. I have been cleaning and assembling the WW2 Productions tracks for this build. If I have time I'll add the second rear stowage box too. Hei Olli!, I changed the front latches, but will leave the back ones as is - tough to see them anyway. For decals I was planning on using a combination of Echelon bits from the T-72.

Cheers,
Jim
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC
Excellent job you've done Jim! I really like your scratch built parts and your "Polish modifications" !! Now I can't wait to see your paint job on it

A silly question. Why do you take the front wheels from a Trumpeter T-62? What happened to the original parts?
Anyway, your pics seem to demonstrate what I've always suspected: the Trumpeter T-62 kit has been made following the T-55 Tamiya as a.... "reference" . Wheels seem to have the same diameter and the same details.

I was thinking that it would be nice to start a "T-54/55 family" campaign here on Armorama. There would be a bunch of interesting subjects which could be made.

I'm waiting for your progresses. Congrats again!!
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 09:14 PM UTC
Wow Jim, thats absolutely stunning! Really top notch work, the details you added are immense, I wish my scratch building was that neat. Cant wait to see it painted.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 10:02 PM UTC
That is some pure scratch building brilliance Jim! It looks like a total beast of a tank. Real nice work- can't wait to see some paint on it.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 04:28 AM UTC
Thanks Guys, this has been on my 'to do' list for many years, glad I was able to get to it finally. Mauro, I used the T-62 wheels as they have the larger front hub for the bigger bearing used on the front road wheel; something the Tamiya wheels don't have. (but now I'm missing them from the T-62!). Thanks again,

Jim
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hey Jim, I missed this one! I just figured it would be on the AFV forum. I never even noticed the Russian forum before today

DO you think you'll have it painted for AMPS? Going to enter it into the Junior Category, or have you moved up to Novice now

I was wondering, if there's time, do you think you should ship the models out to Ottawa and then link up with them here on the Wednesday..or are you going to try to get them in the carry-on?
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
Jim,

Looks great, what did you happen to use for the mesh on the engine deck?

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
@ Graeme: Of course it'll be done for AMPS . Spring break this week so I should get the building done and then on to painting! I'll be taking it on carry-on, should be all right, only bringing the one thing.

@ Scott, the main grills are from this Eduard set (hard to find, ordered it direct from Eduard) and the smaller ones were cut from a scrap piece of mesh I had laying around. Scale Scenics makes a similar brass or aluminum mesh.

Jim
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Graeme: Of course it'll be done for AMPS . Spring break this week so I should get the building done and then on to painting! I'll be taking it on carry-on, should be all right, only bringing the one thing.

@ Scott, the main grills are from this Eduard set (hard to find, ordered it direct from Eduard) and the smaller ones were cut from a scrap piece of mesh I had laying around. Scale Scenics makes a similar brass or aluminum mesh.

Jim

I usually buy my metal meshes from a well provided hardware store. They look perfect...and they are cheap
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 11:29 PM UTC
jim looking great can't wait to see this one with paint on it!!! One question are the two large boxes on the back for the exhaust ??
dave
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi Jim. Enjoyed this thread so far ... even though Im not into moderm armor (actually never heard of this before), I can always appreciate good modelling. Your attention to detail is a joy. Keep the energy up on this one ... its a cool and unique model, which will be remembered.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:47 AM UTC
@ David,
Re. the two boxes on the rear fenders; I'm not sure - they have nothing to do with the exhaust as that just exits where the normal T-55 exhaust is. I think they're just stowage boxes but I don't know why they are connected with the piping. Any Finns know?
I've gone as far as I can go before painting the lower hull so I can permanently attach the side skirts. Added the second rear bin and final details.

Thanks for looking!

Jim
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 05:55 PM UTC
Very nice job Jim;
This Marksman turret reminds me of some Star Wars walkers

I'm eager to see it with some paint on.
Olivier
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 07:43 PM UTC
Wow Jim,

looks awsome! Even without paint! Excellent job so far!

Andreas
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 01:46 AM UTC
Fantastic work on this great looking AFV! There's just something irresistible with dual barrel SPAAG's!

Cheers,
/E
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 03:06 PM UTC
Just a quick update, got the tracks on and everything base-coated - tracks look a little too red/brown but will be lightened up with dry-brush/dust. Side skirts finished up (with all 250-ish rivets!) Ready for final painting now...

Jim
bossman
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 03:13 PM UTC
Outstanding.
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts