Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox AFV Nostalgia Campaign
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan

I like this one.

Hmm, I was actually rather partial to that myself. When I get a chance I'll work one up with a black 'II" instead of the red version.

Quoted Text

As for the Revell re-pops, I guess I am not opposed to it. The re-pops did not come with the diorama bases, but I guess we could live with out that for those who wish to stray from the original. I am actually eyeing 4 kits on ebay right now that I may snag up.

Kevin, research, research, research! Unless there has been a drastic change by Revell, ALL the former Matchbox kits that came with a base were re-released with said same base. Don't know where you heard the contrary! You can check out the Revell instructions parts diagrams for the kits at Henk of Holland Revell Reissues of Matchbox. My repops all have the previously included bases, their components and figures. The only real changes are in the packaging and they obliterated the "Made in England" on the sprues(moulds) but the 'PK-' identifiers are still present. I have both the M-40 GMC and M7 Priest to further confirm this.

Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC
Of course the other difference with the Revell re-releases is that only one colour styrene is used, instead of the 2 colour that didn't really need painting, especially when you were only nine.

Here are a couple of Revell kits from MBNC "I":
Tat Baqui's Jagdpanther:

and Jan's GMC (with what I described as a "squashed turd" for a base!)

I think we can safely say that any Revell braille armour kit with no base is not an MB re-release (means I now can't sneak in my T34/85:-X)

As for obliterating "Made in England" - how could they, the devils? It's a very sad and rather symbolic piece of desecration that was carried out on those moulds. So, for old time's sake and to get those juices going:

BTW, that's a bit of genuine 30+ year old painting while on the sprue technique. I think I already had the brick red out for doing the bricks on the base and thought I'd have a go at the exhaust pipes at the same time.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
Enlisted...I'm aiming towards the Firefly VC at the moment I'll confirm this closer to the time...

Jaymes
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC
@Matthew - I totally forgot about the single colour aspect. My M7 has the "Made in" with the rest obliterated. At least the PK-89 is still visible. If I recall reading correctly, the initial re-releases were made in Poland and the plastic has slightly different properties. I believe that amongst other things, it is slightly more brittle.

For those that yearn for more nostalgia:

Cheers,
tread_geek
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 11:00 AM UTC
Matt

I was under the impression some of the Revell re-pops were with out, I got my son the Revell STuG IV, thinking it was an original Matchbox kit, guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the education.

Kevin
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:20 PM UTC
Kevin, this may not have always been the case, in that some older Revell packaging may not conform to this, but I think it is generally true that you can identify the original Matchbox kits in Revell packaging that have the bases by the fact that they are clearly labelled as 1/76 scale, while the Revell tooled kits are labelled 1/72.

Interestingly, the On the Way site has this piece of info:
http://www.onthewaymodels.com/kitlists/matchboxkits.htm
which I hadn't previously come across; it seems therefore that you are correct that the Stug IV was at one time marketed as a Matchbox kit, although it wasn't one of the original 1/76 + scenic base kits, but a 1/72 scale kit actually tooled by Revell (or maybe someone else originally). I must say I am not convinced that these were ever released in the UK as Matchbox kits, though someone may know different.

Matt
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kevin, this may not have always been the case, in that some older Revell packaging may not conform to this, but I think it is generally true that you can identify the original Matchbox kits in Revell packaging that have the bases by the fact that they are clearly labelled as 1/76 scale, while the Revell tooled kits are labelled 1/72.

..., but a 1/72 scale kit actually tooled by Revell (or maybe someone else originally). I must say I am not convinced that these were ever released in the UK as Matchbox kits, though someone may know different.

Most sources that I have read about the Matchbox 1/72 kits suggest that they were originally "mastered" by either Monogram or Revell. In fact, even the ones with Matchbox logoed instructions have a Revell AG 1994 copyright and are laid out in the Revell instruction format style. I have a couple of Monogram T-80's and an M1 in my stash and they are identical to both the Matchbox and Revell offerings. Needless to say, they are not "original" Matchbox in 1/76 scale.

Now as promised, another campaign ribbon with a darker grey Roman numeral 2.

--Jan
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
Enlistee no. 5 reporting for duty! Looking forward to another great Matchbox Campaign! I'm glad that slightly started kits are allowed as well, otherwise I couldn't join (or rather, I couldn't get a ribbon...)

Like the grey rebbon, Jan.

Cheers!
Stefan
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
I'm in!! I had a lot of fun with the first Matchbox Nostalgia campaign and have plenty of original Matchbox kits in the stash for another one!! Looking forward to it.....
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Matthew...Here's a pic of the kit you have that I just finished for the Panther campaign.I had a blast doing it.It was my first 1/76th build.Although I didn't build the Matchbox kits as a kid,I still have all my Matchbox cars and trucks
So I'm guessing that any of the Revell 1/76th kits that come with a Dio base will work
SgtRam... This may have been asked but,is some scratch building allowed? Jeff T.
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hello everyone, I just enlist me and I hope to find a model before the start of the campaign.

steph
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 - 10:15 PM UTC
Kevin... I am very interested in joining this campaign,and have 2 questions.I assume from the earlier posts that most of the 1/76th Revell kits that come with a Dio base will work? Also,will some scratch building be allowed Thanks,Jeff T.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 12:32 AM UTC
Yes, any of the Revell re-pops of the Matchbox kits are acceptable, and there is no AM allowed, but beleive we can allow a small bit of scratch building.

Thanks for the interest.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume ...that most of the 1/76th Revell kits that come with a Dio base will work? Thanks,Jeff T.

Just to be clear on your specific question, all of the Revell kits that have the dio bases are ex-Matchbox, and the external clue on the boxes is the 1/76 scale label, rather than 1/72. And may woe betide me if you now end up buying a kit labelled 1/76 and there's no dio base in the box!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to be clear on your specific question, all of the Revell kits that have the dio bases are ex-Matchbox, and the external clue on the boxes is the 1/76 scale label, rather than 1/72. And may woe betide me if you now end up buying a kit labelled 1/76 and there's no dio base in the box!

Amen, brother! One never knows what the corporate elite (anal retentives) might do to save a fraction of an ounce of plastic to increase profit.

I found the following qualifying kit chart in my archives from the last Matchbox campaign and it should prove helpful. We can thanks Sabredog (Michael Johnson) for compiling the original data.

I suggest that SgtRam make a copy of the list for future use as I cannot guarantee that the file and link will continue to exist in its current location in the future.

Cheers,
Jan
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
Gentlemen,Thank you for the replies.Here's the next question,Where do you get your kits?The vendor I use has most of them,and I would like to see as many as I can before I make a choice.Jeff T.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen,Thank you for the replies.Here's the next question,Where do you get your kits?The vendor I use has most of them,and I would like to see as many as I can before I make a choice.Jeff T.

@imatanker - Jeff, you can check out Henk of Holland's Matchbox Kits postings. He has box, instructions and sprue shots of most of he kits, as well as pictures of the finished models. Also, if you want to see what can be done with these kits, check out the Matchbox Feature here on Armorama.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC
In so far as I can recall, the early Revell re-pops of the Matchbox 1:76 kits incorrectly labelled the kit boxes 1:72.

Something to watch for.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hello gents! I,ve enlisted too for another Matchbox nostalgia. Now, I'm trying to find out one of those original Matchbox kits, which I built as a kid but have lost during all these years.. Luckily I have plenty of time before the start in September.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently buying Matchbox kits off of eBay, just got the Chaffee, FireFly, and Comet, they are on there way.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am currently buying Matchbox kits off of eBay, just got the Chaffee, FireFly, and Comet, they are on there way.

Thanks K. At this point I am leaning towards the Jagdpanzer IV.I will be enlisting shortly,as soon as I make a choice.Jeff T.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 12:54 AM UTC
If I'm lucky and everything goes smooth, I might be able to buy original Matchbox kit/kits from another forum member from my usual finnish modeling site. Just have to keep my fingers cross..
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 10:23 PM UTC
Wohoo!! It seems I'll got a deal on those Matchbox kits with a real bargain price. Now, which ones to buy...
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 09:49 AM UTC
Kevin,this Matchbox campaign,was a wonderfull ideea.I have 2 originals Matchbox kits[Diamond and M7 Priest],so...i'm glad to be your man in this campaign.Enlisted!
Cheers,
Dani
naimbrain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hi to new faces and old friends,

Another braille nostalgia... I'm in!

Kevin, Jan has been giving lots of really useful advice, and I'm sure he will continue to do so... but if he suggests an exceptional rule that I have to present six partial builds instead of the regulation number ignore him. It's not like I've already got 6 half finished Matchbox kits to hand, in fact I've only got the M7, Krupp, Morris Truck, Churchill AVRE, Humber, Jagdpanzer, Jagdpanther, Firefly, Wespe and LRDG on the bench/shelf at the moment (and maybe the T34 and M40 if you count minor touching up and weathering)

Joking aside - this question is probably for Kevin.. I've got so many in-progress/un-started Matchbox armor kits would you mind if I start posting a few progress/build photos now? I know they won't qualify for the ribbon this early but it might drum up some more interest plus I'm always interested in encouragement/feedback.

I certainly built a goodly proportion of the Matchbox vehicle kits when I were a lad, so I've set my sights on rebuilding the entire set eventually. With just a bit of work on the bases I think they make an attractive addition to the the display cabinet
(Old photo - Chaffee and Comet already completed for Braille Battlefield campaign).

Cheers all!
John

PS, Please ignore the emerald green monstrosity at middle top - mistakes are how we learn!