Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox AFV Nostalgia Campaign
RybenUK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi SgtRam

No issue, was just curious what everyone thought.

No problems using the base OOB. Might decide to try to alter the sign, but probably just leave it alone by the end of build.

Looking forward to having a go at another small scale tank.

Ryben
RybenUK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
Finally started this morning.

this is what i`m building. Looking forward to it...

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 06:51 AM UTC
Greetings all, looks like some great progress going on here. I also see that we have the LRDG kit and the Diamond T to be built in this incarnation. Those were the only two of the original 28 that didn't get done in the MNC version. :-(

Quoted Text

@Jan[tread geek]:WHERE ARE YOU???

After i finish my second 1/35 build[for another campaign],i will begun my Diamond.

madmax5510 Dani,

I might ask you the same question??? And what a turncoat, doing 1/35 (LEGO) scale!!!! I thought that you'd know better. No wonder I haven't seen you or your work in the Braille Forum for ages. As far as that goes, I see several people here that used to frequent that forum that have become strangers there.

I am currently involved in three campaigns, been writing reviews, preparing and attending model shows...

This campaign runs until February so there is plenty of time. However, I have had no luck finding any Revell repops of Matchbox kits. At present the only thing in my stash is an M7 and a Morris C8 set that was drowned in a recent minor flood in my basement. There are two M7's already in this campaign and the Morris decals are pretty much ruined. Not to worry, I am dropping in from time to time to see the action.

Cheers,
tread_geek
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 07:53 AM UTC
As I haven't started cutting or glueing plastic yet I've decided to change my build as I grabbed a great one at Telford yesterday. One of only 2 kits I picked up, everything else as odds and sods.
I'll now be doing the Revell re-issue of the double set Char B1 and Renault FT17. A really nice one that gets overlooked at times. I built a matchbox original in my early teens in the late 90's so its a bit its a bit of a nostalgian trip for me. It still have the tanks complete on my shelf and the box in storage. I never quite got round to finishing the base and base and figures as my skills with a fine brush were not yet up to scratch.
I'll start posting pics tomorrow.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As I haven't started cutting or glueing plastic yet I've decided to change my build as I grabbed a great one at Telford yesterday. One of only 2 kits I picked up, everything else as odds and sods.
I'll now be doing the Revell re-issue of the double set Char B1 and Renault FT17. A really nice one that gets overlooked at times. I built a matchbox original in my early teens in the late 90's so its a bit its a bit of a nostalgian trip for me. It still have the tanks complete on my shelf and the box in storage. I never quite got round to finishing the base and base and figures as my skills with a fine brush were not yet up to scratch.
I'll start posting pics tomorrow.

Nice find. Can't wait to see it.
RybenUK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
Everything went together very quickly, so here it is ready for spray priming tomorrow...

ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 07:21 PM UTC
Here's Chaos' entry:

It has taken me two (2) nights to get to where I am now.

The Battle Display and figures:

And finally:

I had feared the tracks would break when I stretched them to fit around the road wheels. To my delight, they went on well and stuck together using regular CA Glue.

However, I noticed that the plastic had oil on them. I had to dry the oil off using facial tissue first and washed the kit parts before I even started assembly. What caused the plastic to secrete oil? Old age?

Thanks for looking
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC
Nice work Chaos.
Its amazing how quickly these Matchbox tanks go together. Your problem with the tracks is down to age. I've had it with Tamiya tracks in the past. They often go brittle and break apart after the oil leaks out. On the bigger kits it is possible to replace them with aftermarket links, although that is an expensive fix. Not sure what can be done with the smaller scale to fix it.

Heres my entry:

And here's the originals I built about 15 years ago along with the original box. Its a minor miracle that the unpainted fiddly bits and figures were still inside! The only thing thats gone walkabout is the optional barrel for the Renault's Hotchkis machine gun.

Full colour painting instructions on the back, not just for the tanks but also the diorama base. Brilliant presentation that a lot of modern manufacturers could learn a lot from.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, I noticed that the plastic had oil on them. I had to dry the oil off using facial tissue first and washed the kit parts before I even started assembly. What caused the plastic to secrete oil? Old age?

Toby,

The kit you have is one of the first released by Revell after they bought the company and got the original moulds from Tyco. The lack of a 'PK' number on the box and the instructions dates this kit to having been made during or after 1992. This is further supported by the kit number 40081 as that numbering system also started being used in that year. At that time these kits were being manufactured in Poland using recycled plastic and perhaps a different mould release agent, hence the oily film. This is all based on what I read in "The Story of Matchbox Kits" book. My Morris C8 is a original Matchbox kit produced after the merger with AMT (post 1980) and exhibits no oiliness after all these years.

You've done a great job in assembling this kit and it has always been one of my favourites. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cheers,
Jan
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
Toby - great looking progress

Stephen - I am going to have to look for that kit, nice find.
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC
Jan,

I knew the Matchbox brand was full of history but i didnt know info such as the type of plastic was also documented.

Thanks for the comments. As for the other posts, its soo hard to keep up and comment. They're all great. I wish there was a like button in each post.
Removed by original poster on 11/14/12 - 22:54:43 (GMT).
RybenUK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hello, it snowed on my CHAFFEE. I will say it is finished. this campaign made me happy, it reminded me of my first kits . was all good build.

Hi Steph, great build, and exactly what i was hoping to do with my Chafee.

2 quick questions if I can ask:

A - How did you manage white wash effect - what was the process? Did you paint the white after or before the green?
B - What did you do for the snow? What did you use?And how did you fix it to diorama?

Ryben
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

hello, it snowed on my CHAFFEE. I will say it is finished. this campaign made me happy, it reminded me of my first kits . was all good build.

Hi Steph, i`m doing the same model and came up with similar situation.
2 questions if you dont mind:

A - How did you achieve the whitewash effect? What was the process?
B - What did you use for the diorama snow?

Ryben

hello, ANDY, that I have no problem.
I made the whitewash with "the effect of hair spray." I painted my chaffee in od and satin varnish.
the next
1 - layer of hair spray 10/15 minutes of drying
2 - tamiya paint matt white, about 10 minutes drying
3 - cleaning white paint in a little water with an old tooth brush (WARNING must rub lightly with white paint leave quickly.).
4 - 24 h drying
5 - satin varnish
snow
a thick layer of gloss, right now, I sprinkle bicarbonate potassium and let dry.
for diorama I is not no use panel
good fitting .
steph
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
hello, STEPHEN I'm eager to see your B1bis
steph
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 11:32 AM UTC
@Toby-nice progress,you will do it in DAK camo ?
@Stephen-i just wait to see the final result.
@Andy-excellent work,i just buy myself this kit and a Firefly[Revell re-boxed]!

@Jan-" No wonder I haven't seen you or your work in the Braille Forum for ages"-my friend,i had a critical period in these two years... because of the 3 surgeries[in this almost 2 years] on my left foot,i must change my first job,and i loose my second job...so,for for a while i've been like a drunk chicken,but i had time to paint a lot of small figures[not WWII]. .Now,i'm again like a pitt-bull,so "let,s rock " some braille kits for fun.
"And what a turncoat, doing 1/35 (LEGO) scale!!!!"-i forgot to say:this is ,for a while ,my second job.

All the best,
Dani
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Its long been one of my favourite Matchbox kits. Well worth looking out for.

So on with the build. First off is the Renault. It went together fairly well I just needed to fiddle with the parts to get it all lined up. No locator pins, everything juts fits into grooves so far from perfect. There are a few minor gaps, mostly on the turret but they should be easy to fix.

Next job to do is the running gear and tail skid and it'll be done.
Not sure about which armament to go for. The painting guide calls for the 37mm gun on the French version (markings are included for 1 French and 2 in German markings), but most of my references state that almost all Renaults had been re-armed with the 8mm Hotchkiss MG by 1940.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 04:27 PM UTC
My Sd.Kfz. Is now ready for paint. More to follow soon

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 02:01 AM UTC
Looking good. I did one years ago but I had a lot of trouble getting the radio lined up properly.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
A little more progress. The base Color is on. More to follow soon.

SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 02:59 PM UTC
Jesper - looking good.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
Yeehaa! Matchbox madness! It's great to see all these old gems!

Here's mine so far:

Cheers!
Stefan
Francois_Gousse
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 07:04 AM UTC
Bonjour,

Here is my contribution to the campaign: Revell's re-boxing of the Puma.

I should start working on it this week.

Regards from Canada,
François
RybenUK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
Slowly coming together:

Primed:

Painted, with first time white wash done, Not too bad(decals just done, waiting on MicroSol to take effect:

Base done, prior to adding snow effect across whole bit:

All in all, really enjoying this build

Ryben
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 04:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments on my Sd.Kfz. Stephen, I had the same problem with the aerial and have not completely solved it although it looks decent.

Nice job on the wall, Stefan. Looking forward to see more.

Andy, nice worn white wash. Looks realistic.