_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Merkava MK.4 LIC (work in progress)
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hello friend's;

Im looking for some feedback on my Merkava. It's the Academy kit straight from the box and I guess you could say this is my first "serious" build. She's clearly not finished yet but I will update this post with her progress.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Cheers

slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - 10:04 PM UTC
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC
The build looks fine to me but the color is bit odd. It is way too sandy.
I suggest you have a look at the other modern IDF subjects here at Armorama to have an idea of what the color should be.

Olivier
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier

Regarding the color i did research it in forums as well as picture reference and what a lot of people where saying and (it's often evident in photos) is that the color can often look totally different from photo to photo and vehicle to vehicle. I have observed photos of this vehicle looking quite sandy. I did ad a green dot filter to the top of the hull and turret but not yet to the hull sides and at the moment it is quite subtle.
oliver
Visit this Community
Beersheba, Israel
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC
Howzit Johnathan
Great build like youre lens on the comanders view port.But just to point out to you,the colour you used is much to sandy it should be more to the green,Humbrol 84 for a new tank and Humbrol 72 for a tank that has been exposed to the harsh desert sun.

cheers
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 07:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys, Do you recommend filters to get the color darker? So far the model has had its base coat done as well as oil washes and oil dot filters. And obviously pigments on the drive train.

AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC
Try this site.

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/article01.html

G
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 09:02 AM UTC
Cool thanks, Im not sure i want to re paint the vehicle at this late stage as i have already put a lot of hours into the vehicle.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 09:46 AM UTC
I hear ya!

Good reference for the next one.

G
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 10:05 AM UTC
That's Foreshore Wayne I will no doubt be building more Merkava's in the future (I just love em to much) and im sure i will refer to your link for ref. In the meantime i think ill finish this girl up and work on other techniques.

vadamec
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 03:04 PM UTC
Hi Jonathan,
if this is your first serious build, then congratulations, you've done a great job. I agree with you that in the field condition, tha actual look of the vehicle could be significantly different from its original base colour and could be akin to your sand tone. The difference might be that the finish would be less "uniform". Maybe add bit more filter to darken the look a bit a create more color variance.
Regardless of the color, I think your weathering is well done as far as can be judged from the images.

Vlad
miniarmour.net
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 11:05 AM UTC
Thank you so much Vlad. She's nearly finished so ill post some more photo's when she's done.

Leopard-2
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
Let's disreguard the (nice looking, btw) colour and say that i like the weathering very much. How's that?
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC
Merkva is a beautiful looking tank and you've done a good job on the finnish. Regarding the colour, I don't have a clue what is the right tone or shade or even base but I do know that the subtleties of colour vary enormously between what the eye perceives looking at the model and what a camera produces and then you have differing monitor settings, lighting etc etc. This is a science of it's own. I guess if your happy with the result then that's it!
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thank you for your input everyone.
paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 11:24 AM UTC
When are we getting some more pics, Im building this kit at the moment and am following this build with interest. I like your weathering and the colour is fine to me. Ive gone with a darker base coat khaki drab with mine which will lighten up as filters etc are added. It is a great kit and I am enjoying the process
newnikonian
Visit this Community
India / भारत
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 233 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hi jonathan
Nice looking Merkava. I have not seen a tank in flesh even once. Armor modeling is my hobby. As long as you enjoy the build and have fun with the hobby, that is what matters.
Nice weathering, As some of our friends suggested, try to add some variations to the over all look and make it subtle. For your first serious build, you have done a wonderful job. Keep at it....After all there are a lot more models out there to complete
Have fun and Have a Great Day
Mukund
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 09:28 AM UTC
Keep up the good work mate !,just got mine today so i`m looking to your work for inspiration and guidance.
Did you have any problems with anything or did she go together OK ?.
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi guys; Sorry for keeping so quiet i have been a bit out of the loop lately. More pics on the way in the upcoming days.
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 12:12 AM UTC
For those of you buiding the Merkava i would like to share some of the refrence photography i used, Just follow the links.

http://www.supervideo.com/MXCD-ROMOS.htm

http://www.waronline.org/en/IDF/arms/merkava.htm

http://www.armyrecognition.com/israeli_israel_main_batlle_tank_uk/merkava_4_iv_main_battle_tank_israeli_army_israel_pictures_technical_data_sheet_description_identifi.html
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC
For your 1st serious build you did a terrific job, especially with the painting and weathering. While no expert on IDF armor colors, I did take a look at your posted references, specifically the last one listed. There is a big difference between the painting and the actual photos on the same page. You can clearly see that in the photographs the color is greenish.

Applying a dark green filter will tint everything which is what you don't want as sand, dust, etc. doesn't have a green tint. So I would agree with you to leave it as is, as the desert elements will have had a great effect on the paint color over a short period of time.

Joel
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hi Danny

My apologies for updating the post so late. I have only just started work on her again this week. She went together really well. The only exceptions being the hull, which on my kit was prone to pinch which made installation of the rear hatch tricky. And the main gun barrel needed some tweaking to fix allignment.
 _GOTOTOP