_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
somewhere on the Pacific
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hello,
After my Stug III dio, I'm starting a new project. It will be on the one of the Pacific's islands. Below you can see kits that I'm going to use. Unfortunately in Tarawa kit one frame is missing and one is double instead and Dragon don't answer my emails. More details later.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 09:03 PM UTC
A nice collection of kits I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Paul
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hey Pawel,Try clicking on thr dragon logo on the site and go to dragoncare. You should get a link that opens to their customer care section. It will give you an area to write your problem up and give you a tracking # for a follow up. I have problems with the Peleliu Marines, not enough ammo pouchs and none foe the Bar or Carbine. Am in touch with them trying to resolve the problem. Even though they claim that the amoubt is correct for the instructions, there are only 12 pouchs for the grand rifle; 6 for one figure, 3 for another and a double .45 cal for the 3rd. Kind of stupid but I realize someone didn't do their homework. Also one of the 3 sets I bought didn't have the weapon sprue but my L.H.S. changed them out for me. If you can't find the link let me know and I'll dig it up for you. I had a reply within a few hours. bob d.
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hello Bob, thanks for your reply. The problem is that I have used dragon's customer care site and they didn't answer me at all. I tried to write them second mail and I opened second ticket with the same results. It's about second week without answer, I think the problem is that I don't live in USA and they treat those customers in different way. In this Tarawa kit the worse part is that, that with this B sprue two figures are missing.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hey Pawel, now that real stinks. 2 out of 4 figures a.w.o.l. I wrote to them a second time discribing in detail about the problems with the Peleliu kit and am still waiting for a reply. It was obvious that the homework wasn't done correctly or the kit wouldn't have the problems it does. But with missing sprues, I think that's a quality controll issue like the missing weapon sprue with one of the first boxes I got. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see now. I had called them years ago about a problem with missing parts (not included with the original sprues, improper research again) and got a brush off. Still all in all, I will give them the chance to fix the messed up kit. I have a few sets of the Tarawa figures and if you need them, I could send you the missing parts, free, so long as shipping does not kill me; which it souldn't. Doesn't solve the problem with Dragon, but if it helps you I have no problem as I P/U 3 sets usually. A lot of them are like the old Airfix figures, interchangable body parts. So if you like, P.M. your address to me and the parts you need and I'll be able to get them out to you so you can start your dio. bob d.
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
Thank you Bob, you're very kind. I'll write you a PM. Now I'd like to show you first photos, what can show a general idea of this dio. They will go from the water on the beach.

wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 06:10 AM UTC
hello, progres in work:

dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
Coming along nicely.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 09:10 AM UTC
Looking very goodI'll be watching your progress.To bad about Dragon,but I see you also have a MB set.Rare for them to have missing parts,but if ever they are great at service.I explain it in the figures forum under Patrol.

Tom
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hello Pavel,

What a great compisition.
I love big dio like this with a lot of figures.
Will you make the last guy arriving on the beach walking in the waves ?
Keep on going like this.

Best,
Julien
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 02:02 AM UTC
Very nice dio concept and you have made an excellent start to things. I like the wounded buddy carry. This battle was hell,maybe more casualties?
I am looking forward to seeing how you handle the water.
J
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC
Thanks a lot guys.
First of all, I want to thanks Bob. Finally after a month and a half dragon answered my e-mail. We will see what will happen next. As you can see I've managed to plan position of figures without those two guys, so I don't need them anymore now. But thank you anyway.

[quote]Will you make the last guy arriving on the beach walking in the waves ?[quote]
not only the last one but also the guy with flame thrower. Water level will reach their hips.

This battle was hell,maybe more casualties?
I will think about it, maybe one more lying guy.

Now I will put some rocks into see, later I will take care of palms and sand and last one will be painting and water. More photos soon! Cheers
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hey Pawel, anytime. I think I'm getting the problem solved with Dragon myself. Seems they must be pretty buisy but they contacted me and this should be taken care of shortly. I'll be watching your build as this winter I plan to start my vign's for the S.Pacific. Have four planed and am trying to come up with suitable figures for Wake Island, which will make five total. Your's is looking real good so far.
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 12:10 PM UTC
I will be following this also Pawel, I find it most realistic in the action you've composed. Impressive start!
Dave
USMC0491
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 04:42 PM UTC
I am defintely going to follow this one Pawel..i'm loving the layout already..!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
Looking good Pawel. Using a lot of figures like is a big commitment, but the results should be well worth it ... really adds to the effect when so many are attacking. The guy carrying the wounded soldier should maybe be heading more to the mound to get cover, rather than straight up the middle?
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Frank! I know, a lot of figures.. I don't even want to think about painting them.. I will consider it to move the guys you mentioned, I will change their position and mabye take a photo.
Meanwhile I've started to make rocks with some algae.

Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC
WOW! Those lava stones with the corals looks awesome. Good luck on the figure painting
Regards
Jacob
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 08:25 AM UTC
Some progress for today:
Rocks are waiting to be finally painted.

I thought about palm leaves. I draw them and send to be laser cut. It is a lot cheaper than buing some kit.

more details about this later.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
Gotta echo but that Coral is amazing, what a great idea and something that i can't even think of seeing before in a diorama. Well done so far!
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
Wow, this is going to be one great colorful diorama.
My only suggestion is if it is not too late, change out the log wall for rock or rough coral.

There was only one location in the Pacific as far as I know that had a log wall on the beach and that was Tarawa and the beach did not look like this. So if you want to keep the “Somewhere” part you should change out the wall. Or course it would also depend on just how many people looking at it will realize what the log wall signifies. How often after making a diorama people just love it because of the artistic value and not because of the specific details.
This is making me sound kind of crappy but it all depends on how much you want to be correct or not in the details.

Yes those palm trees and coral are fantastic and they are certainly possible for a non specified beach in the Pacific, but this is not the beach for Tarawa. If it is going to be judged just hope the Judge doesn’t know Tarawa. This is not a plug for the individual that came up with this saying but “The Devil is in the details.”

Hope this helps and it really is developing into a fantastic diorama.
Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, this is going to be one great colorful diorama.
My only suggestion is if it is not too late, change out the log wall for rock or rough coral.

There was only one location in the Pacific as far as I know that had a log wall on the beach and that was Tarawa and the beach did not look like this. So if you want to keep the “Somewhere” part you should change out the wall. Or course it would also depend on just how many people looking at it will realize what the log wall signifies. How often after making a diorama people just love it because of the artistic value and not because of the specific details.
This is making me sound kind of crappy but it all depends on how much you want to be correct or not in the details.

Yes those palm trees and coral are fantastic and they are certainly possible for a non specified beach in the Pacific, but this is not the beach for Tarawa. If it is going to be judged just hope the Judge doesn’t know Tarawa. This is not a plug for the individual that came up with this saying but “The Devil is in the details.”

Hope this helps and it really is developing into a fantastic diorama.
Bob

Enjoy what you build; build what you enjoy.
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 06:29 AM UTC
Robert, thank you for your constructive comment! I didn't know that the palm tree log walls was used only on Tarawa. You know why only there? It didn't pass the test?
And can you tell me why do you say that beach didn't look like this?

Meanwhile something more about leaves:

I have also added some underwater dunes made by waves:

I'm thinking now how to paint it in convincing way - I want to have bright sand, but I can't use too much white color becouse it could look like snow. I think I will use a lot of pigments and tensocrom sand paint.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 08:38 AM UTC
I think it came down to the height and size of the Island and less to what might have worked for defense or not. But yes as far as I know Tarawa was the only place for a log wall.

Like I said your work is great, the only problem would be the height of the coral near the shore. Remember during Tarawa most of the Marines had to walk in from up to 500 yards, long low shelf of coral covered in sand. Just keep the coral a bit lower near the beach and it could pass for Tarawa.

Here is a good view of the reef after the battle showing some obstacles;

So you could actually go either way. The coral is fantastic as is the log wall but the the choice of course is yours.

Bob
wapel00
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 06:31 AM UTC
After my holidays I present you some little update.

_GOTOTOP