_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SF Warpig's SATCOM & other Queries
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 05:45 PM UTC
Greetings guys,
I've got some detailed questions for the COMMS and other stuff which I hope you can help.
I've some M1078 Warpigs in the works and would like to have a variation of different COMMS set up on each one. I'd like to be accurate as usual.
I'm using Pro Art's SATCOM set and will scratch built all other items, so I won't be buying Pro Art's Special Forces COMMS set.

I'd like to use the Sattlelite and Antennas as I labelled : A, B, C and D.
If possible I'd also like to add more Antennas and Radios but have no clue how.

So please input and correct me if I'm wrong :
01) "A". I'd think these 2 antennas are VHF AS-3900AVRC and connection would be to 2 SINCGARS sets. Thus one would be for short range and the other long range frequency.
02) Is this the correct wiring set up ? :

03) Where should the loud speaker be located in the cabin?
04) "B". Satellite antenna, should it be connected to the Radio PSC-5 or FBCB2?
05) I'd like to use the FBCB2 and CPU positioning them same as in Pro Art's photo. Any clearer photos for the wiring connections?

06) For my set up stated above, can I add the EPLRS to one of the FBCB2, as in pro art's instructions? If yes, then where should I put it?

07) On top of this, I'd like to use as many radio set as possible for this Warpig..Any advice which and how? Pro Arts set up uses the PSC 5 and PRC 113 only,so what about the PRC 117 and PRC 104 Digital and Analogue?

08) Can the MXF 270 PRCD be connected to all the sets : PSC 5, PRC 113, PRC 117 and PRC 104?

09) The KY56 7 and NMCI can only be connected to the PSC 5. What about the other radios?

10) "C" and "D" X-wing antennas are connected to which radios?
11) Whats the dimensions of the X-wings and the thickness of the vertical Rods for "C" and "F"? What's their differences? Pro Art and Voyager models' sets seem either too thick or too thin.
12) "D" X-wing, Anyone have a clearer photo?

13) "E" Sattlelite antenna, what's the difference with this and "B" ? Any dimensions? Again the main rod seems too thick as compared to the real things.

14) Anyone have measurements for this 60mm Ammo Can Holder?

That's a load of questions...Thanks in advance for any help!

Meanwhile here's some photos, as you can see my scratch builds are different from the other Warpigs I've seen on this forum at least.
I am using a variety of items from the various manufacturers, not all in the photos : Pro Art's M1078 large detail kit, SATCOMS, SINCGARS, Pelican Cases,Backpacks, Large Warpig Accessories set, Lion Roar's Wheels, Real Model's Jerrycans, BlastModels' and I think Academy's Modern Accessories sets, Voyager's 50cal,Ammo Links, 50cal rounds,etc, Plastic parts from AFV club, Legend's Humvee seats, Live Resin's M240 and M4s...

MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 07:35 PM UTC
i will try to help as much as possible i am not a commo guy but i use all that stuff

1. you are correct which ever ant. is connected to the power amp is the long range ant.

2. the set up is also correct but for a little variation you could connect the hand mic's to the radios above the W-4 cables

3. you can place the loud speaker where ever you want as long as the crew could hear it

4.the "B" ant. i think may be for a older style sat phone its the only time i seen them used but its a ground mount modified for use on the truck but others may know more but the FBCB 2 don't need a sat ant.

5. its a adhoc truck with a adhoc setup run as you see fit

6. if you want to add the EPLRS you will need anther ant. represented in the M1A2 sep kit from dragon the short stubby one

7. cant help you

8. the 270 is for the PSC the 117 has a different one, not sure about singars never seen a remote control for one

9.the psc connects to the ky567 which in turn connects to the sat ant (x wing) the NMCI lap top connects to the KY567 also but also to anther component(don't know the name)but it looks like the black box behind the TC's seat that you have ? marked

10 and 11. go here:
www.hmmwvinscale.com/satcomantennae.htm

and the last two i cant help you but i hope this helps a little bit, good start on the little piggies.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC
That's a lot of info! Thanks Bill you certainly helped a lot!

To clarify :

4. In general the "B" or "E" Satellite antennas are used with PSC5 and the PRC various radios. I was trying to figure out how the SF select which radio combinations to carry.

6. Perhaps I should ask if a Special Forces support truck would use a EPLRS?

Hopefully someone can chime in on my questions : 7,10,11,12,13 and 14...

I could estimate the X-wing antenna dimensions, but I'd rather the actual sizes to work with.

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 04:20 AM UTC
DOH! I scratch built the wrong mount for the M240! That's for use with the other swing arm..like on the LAV.

...sigh....

AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Anyone can help with the other questions
HazZaRd
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 08:24 AM UTC
Since you helped me out once with some measurements

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
In regards to #14, Live Resin has that exact set-up on the market now.
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 11:41 AM UTC
OK, now finally I can contribute something! My background in the USMC is Communications (I'm a Communications Maintenance Chief by MOS, 2862 to be exact)

OK, to answer your questions regarding all the comm equipment -

(1) Yes, those are AS-3900 Antenna setups for use with VHF radio sets, most commonly the SINCGARS.

(2) Yes, that is the correct "By the book" wiring setup, but the handsets are more commonly connected directly to the RT's (Receiver/Transmitters), to the AUD/DATA port.

(3) Loudspeaker is placed wherever it can fit and the vehicle commander can hear it, so that is prety much up to you.

(4) That is a directional Sat Comm antenna, and is used with the PSC-5, or the Harris PRC-117 - your choice.

(5) Can't really help you with that one, as most of the cabling is all on the backside of the FBCB2, and generally hidden by the mount setup, and I don't have access to one where I work now to get some pics for you.

(6) You won't need EPLRS in a vehicle that has a BFT (FBCB2 is the name of the actual program that runs on the Blue Force Tracker system) - the EPLRS, Enhanced Position Location Reporting System, was replaced by the BFT. I think Pro Art has just included it to show that they make one.

(7) I'd try and keep it at least somewhat accurate as far as the comms goes, ditch the PRC-104. That is an antique HF Radio Set. The PSC-5 is used for Sat Comm, and the PRC-113 is used for UHF comms, generall talking to air. However, the Harris PRC-117 does all of that now. It will talk on HF, UHF, and Sat Comm.

(8) The MXF-270 was used with the now quite obsolete PSC-2. Ditch it.

(9) (a) The KY-57 is the external Crypto device for the PSC-5, all the newer radio sets (SINCGARS Family, Harris radios, etc) have internal crypto systems.

(b) NMCI stands for Navy Marine Corps Institute - They control our garrison Internet; which is how I'm helping you now. Not used in a Tactical Vehicle in any sense.

(10) Antenna "C" would be connected to the Harris PRC-117, and Antenna "D" would be connected to the PSC-5 normally. But you can use them with either/or.

(11) Can't help you there, don't have one handy to take a ruler to, sorry.

(12) If what I'm seeing in the picture is correct, then the Antenna in question is the same as Antenna "B", jsut with out the top sections added on.

(13) Nope, it seems pretty much proportionally correct.

(14) Not sure if that is a 60mm Mortar Ammo can that has been repurposed, but the measurements for a 60mm can are 11" x 16" x 5"

Hope all this helps, this is all from memory, but I haven't gone totally crazy yet (my wife begs to differ sometimes) so it should all be accurate.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 04:14 PM UTC
Pardon my late reply...

Gijs, I can't remember what I helped you with?
But your measurements are perfect for what I have in mind!

Brent, Live Resin's stuff are truly superb, but I still feel stuff like ammo holders should be done closer to scale thinnest for my personal builds that is.

SSgt O'Marines, your wife may be somewhat right..that's a lot of info in your head.. looks like you filled up my gaps! That's a lot of info and I'll use it to my best..got 2 trucks in progress and another 4 different ones in the future.
Yours and Bill's info has mostly wrapped up my needs and I can go forward.

I appreciate the help and detailed info. I'll post photos of my COMMS set up over the weeks. Do take a look in this posting once it's updated.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi Nick,
any update on this one? I am really interested to see some progress

BR
 _GOTOTOP